Author Topic: Honda tyre Sealant  (Read 19452 times)

Aitcho

Honda tyre Sealant
« on: November 17, 2011, 04:04:48 PM »
My Honda Jazz EX (2011) came equipped with a tyre sealant and compressor for tyre inflation.

If I have cause to use the sealant will it result in me having to purchase a new tyre?

I have also read that a number of tyre repairers do not like handling tyres if a sealant has been used and might refuse to do either a repair or tyre replacement because  of the additional work involved removing the gunk!

On the Continental tyres website they have some interesting information on their "ContiComfortKit" compressor/tyre sealant unit, whilst reading some of the pdf files especially the one titled 'Demounting instructions (for tyre dealers) I was surprised to read the suggestion that a 10mm hole could be drilled in the sidewall of the tyre to aid removal of the tyre sealant liquid.

(www.conticomfortkit.co.uk)

Continental do say that use of the sealant means that a new tyre must be fitted does this also apply to the use of the Honda sealant and other manufacturers sealant, although the sealant method does appear to be convenient it could be very costly if a new tyre is required each time one gets a puncture caused by a nail for instance.

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Re: Honda tyre Sealant
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:48:14 PM »
As an alternative get a proper spare (keep an eye on eBay), plenty of room under the boot and you've got the tools already.  I've got a set of winter on at the mo so one of the summers is a spare, and all change next April.  I just don't trust the goo stystems, too many stories of goo going in and straight out the hole.  >:(

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
get a tin of holts tyre weld or the one i got for £6 car plan flat mate, they both do the same job, and inflate the tyre too, no messing about with the electric pump and the honda stuff.

yes you are right, the tyre places dont like the stuff that honda use but the holts/car plan stuff just washes out and you can reuse the tyre after repair.

or you can just keep the nail in the tyre and keep a foot pump in the boot until you can get a repair done.

ive only had one blow out in over 27 years of driving, but a lot of nails in the tyres (about 10 or 12) so no need for the can of gunk, but it is only cheap and a just in case situation

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »
My last puncture was caused by a fight with a bit of kerbstone left on the road. :'(  Caused a hole that an old 50p wouldn't cover. No amount of tyreweld would have fixed that! :(
Happily, the car at the time (Merc A Class) had a full sized spare!

My advice - get yourself a spare.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:14:30 PM by Geoffers »

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, a proper spare tyre I suppose is the ideal solution although being a disabled driver there is no way I could change a tyre, it is a case of calling out the RAC.

As a get you home measure providing the damage to the tyre is simply a puncture caused by a nail using a tyre sealant might be good for a temporary repair, I will have to have a word with my local Kwik-Fit centre and see what their view is on using tyre sealant.

I realise that Kwik-Fit is not everyones first choice for tyres etc but they are Motability's chosen tyre supplier/repairer.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
I reckon lots of people cannot undo the wheelnuts when push comes to shove. I know my wife and daughter could not... nor could my elderly father-in-law in his car a few years ago.

A shortish length of pipe  slipped over the handle of the spanner as an extension to get more length... and hence much more leverage... or a wheelbrace, can make a big difference, though.

I also know that most punctures are nails/screws and as long as they are left in the tyre the leak is very slow. Almost imperceptible. An air pump in the boot can certainly cover that situation till a repairer. Further, at average miles a year (12,000/yr?)... or less... what is the risk of a puncture that is more than an (almost) self-sealing  nail/screw/suchlike in the tread... let alone a slash in the wall or a blowout? Really. Even at double that annual mileage...

I've hardly had any punctures over many years and more than half a million miles. P'raps three or four. And they were of the nail/screw variety. Never a blowout. Never a slash in the wall. (Touch wood on every count.) Maybe I have had much more luck than most. But really, what are the chances?

Also, lots of potential wheel-change situations are downright hazardous... not enough road shoulder and too much traffic. IMO... IMHO.

I have noticed some other car-makers - surprisingly premium ones, too - now offering a spare as an optional extra. I for one am happy not to have to pay more for a car than I already do; a 'mandatory' spare undoubtedly adds to car maker's cost and that cost must flow through to retail price. Also, I prefer not to lug unnecessary weight and I value the extra boot space. 

Monkeydave mentioned the Holts gunk. I carry it in my boot and National Tyres - for one - say that it presents no problem to them.

http://www.national.co.uk/tyre-weld.aspx

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
The thing about punctures is that we all hope that we're not going to have one!
But, like insurance, you prepare yourself for the worst situation.
Whether you're a disabled or a female driver, on or off a motorway, in good weather or bad, you really ought to prepare for the worst that could happen. And that's when a full size spare comes into its own!
I wouldn't continue to drive with a nail/screw in a tyre. It's asking for trouble! There's no telling when that could fail and put you in an even worse situation. And it's probably not legal to do so!
I was lucky when my A Class tyre failed, Mercs don't even miss a beat. Steering was not affected in the slightest and I was able to continue driving to a safe spot to change the wheel.
If you are physically unable to change the wheel then spare a thought for the poor guy that has to!

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
Geoffers... with reference to your final sentence, I can change a wheel, no problem. I thought that most of my post was dedicated to those who'd have difficulty changing a wheel. Of course a call to a breakdown organisation may be their first or last resort.  I also tried to help those who would change a wheel but who might need 'more power to the elbow' to loosen tight wheelnuts. This by suggesting a 'pipe extension' to the spanner - a sleeve slipped over its  handle for much more leverage. Just 6 inches extra length to the handle makes a massive difference. Easy to DIY and store in the boot with the spanner.

Nor was I suggesting that it's OK to leave a nail in a tyre... indefinitely; I did clearly imply get it to a repairer.

However, I should have added the reason for not extracting the nail too soon. If you were to unwisely extract a nail before changing the wheel or getting it to a repairer, you will then most certainly have an emergency situation as the tyre will lose all air almost immediately. But you probably know that. I should have added I'd drive at significantly reduced speed with a nail in it till getting it to the repairer.

I've seen lots of road situations where it is downright hazardous to be changing a wheel. Raining, luggage out once, too. Yet people risk it partly, I suspect, because of the temptation of that spare in the boot. If it's a typical puncture - a nail/screw in the tread - they could use 'gunk' in that situation and duration of exposure to hazard is much reduced.

Spare or no spare? Or spare AND a can of gunk as an option depending on situation? This surely offers the best of both worlds. It's all arguable opinion anyway because everyone has different driving patterns and different perceptions of risk. In this case level of risk - actual and perceived - of getting a puncture.

Nevertheless, my previous post was intended to be helpful for those without a spare, for those with a spare, for those who cannot physically change a wheel and for those who can. Sorry, Geoffers, if it did not appear entirely helpful. I hope this helps.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »
You've got hold of the wrong end of the stick matey.

My last sentence refers to the OP who IS unable to change a wheel!

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »
Geoffers... You'll find I got BOTH ends of the stick in both posts.  Please read my posts... both of them, all the way through. Not scan them. Though imperfect, they were worded with some care and attention.

Geoffers

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
My goodness you are in a touchy mood aren't you!

Chill out man! An open forum is not the place for a slanging match.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:36:38 PM by Geoffers »

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
Geoffers... Whaaat?! I didn't think I was slanging anyone. Sheesh. I see why you might think that. I am truly sorry if that is what you thought. My apologies.

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 02:17:56 PM »
I got a space saver spare wheel from a MG ZS (rover 45, same shape as civic 5dr of that era) its the same 4 x 100 stud pattern as the jazz and fits perfect!! much cheaper than a honda one... i got a unused one for my jazz for £12 delivered!! bargain....  ;D

This is the chap who sold me mine, the price has  increased a little but still a bargain at just under £24

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-25-45-MG-ZR-ZS-Spare-Wheel-Tyre-Space-Sv-/370557717585?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5646f60c51

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
I just don't trust the goo stystems, too many stories of goo going in and straight out the hole.  >:(

In my motorcycling days I used tyre sealant a few times as a get-me-home measure!

Most people are tempted to remove either the nail or screw that caused the puncture but  they should be left in the tyre as an aid to sealing the hole created.

The following is a quote from Continental tyres on the use of their tyre sealant:

" * Do not remove any foreign objects - such as nails or screws - that have got stuck in the tyre."

Aitcho

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 08:21:35 PM »
Monkeydave mentioned the Holts gunk. I carry it in my boot and National Tyres - for one - say that it presents no problem to them.

http://www.national.co.uk/tyre-weld.aspx

I am going to invest in a tin of Holts Tyreweld, noticed that Tesco were selling it but they only had it in 400ml size and with 16" wheels will need the 500ml one.

At least Halfords are selling the 500ml size for £9.99.

Tags: