Author Topic: Panel lights brightness  (Read 6494 times)

guest2865

Panel lights brightness
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
I note that my 1.4 ES 2012 model has a sensor near the windscreen called 'sunlight sensor'  I expected this to control the brightness of the instrument panel and audio system etc lights during daytime (bright sunlight causing the lights to brighten up, dull outside light to cause the lights to dim) This does not appear to be the case.

Or do I have a fault?

What is the 'sunlight sensor' doing if this is not one of its purposes?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: Panel lights brightness
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »
The sunlight sensor detects when its dark, to facilitate the turning on the headlights when the lights are on auto setting.

If you want to dim the dashboard backlights turn the reset button on the trip mileometer.

Oz

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
The Jazz ES doesn't have auto on lights.  The dimmer control  [turn the reset button] only works when the lights are active, not in daylight with lights off.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »
The sunlight sensor on the dash is part of the a/c system nothing to do with the lights.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
The Jazz ES doesn't have auto on lights.  The dimmer control  [turn the reset button] only works when the lights are active, not in daylight with lights off.
Weird ! the HS version has auto lights and wipers, you were short changed !

Ozzie  ;D

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
The sunlight sensor on the dash is part of the a/c system nothing to do with the lights.

What function can this play in the Air Conditioning? Temperature and humidity must be part of AC control - what can knowing about sunlight do?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »

What function can this play in the Air Conditioning? Temperature and humidity must be part of AC control - what can knowing about sunlight do?

You obviously haven't read the owners manual because you will see that to regulate the interior temperature , the system has two sensors. A sunlight sensor and a temperature sensor.

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
JazzyB - I have studied the manual thoroughly and have seen the reference you draw attention to. 

I just cannot see where the amount of sunlight is needed to control AC.  The sun can be very bright or dull independent of the actual weather temperature.

My BMW used a light sensor to control panel light brightness - this is the basis of my query.

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
Although the sun doesn't shine often here...certainly not in Manchester...run climate on auto if its sunny and if driving in shade or into tunnel etc. (i.e. into or out of the sun) the sensor picks sunshine up and increases the heater fan speed in sunlight then reduces it when in the shade.

I originally thought there was something wrong on my first EX but running auto (with aircon) in summer and strong sunlight on dash then covering the sensor up with a cloth confirmed what was happening.

Tags: