Author Topic: Rattle from back  (Read 11385 times)

guest671

Rattle from back
« on: June 23, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »
I have had an annoying rattle from the back of my car for some weeks and have done everything to try and find it. Yesterday I took it to my local Honda garage to ask their advice. The mechanic knew straight away what it was without even looking at the car. Where the top of the back seat clips against a metal bar, this has very slightly worn causing it to rattle. He said he had had several similar cases and effected a temporary repair by wrapping it in tape. In the meantime the garage has contacted Honda for advice on how to fix it permanently. Has anyone else had a similar problem or if they have they may find this interesting?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Rattle from back
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
Rattles on cars can be quite tricky -  I normally ask the owner/driver what changes did you make last - then go from there.
You seem to have identified a potential cause which may affect others on this forum.
Lets see the feedback.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »
Sounds very like an intermittent problem I have, from rear left.  I'll try the tape solution.  At first I thought it was where the shelf edgs passes over the plastic housing for the rear window wiper, but that's more towards the right of the car.  The parcel shelf is bad news anyway - I hate having to refit the press-studs every time I've had the back seats down.  A suitable case for Velcro, like the Yaris!

guest907

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »
I've had rattles from the back on my last 2 Jazz EX's. I was intrigued as it sounded like the N/S/R door rattling and didn't want to be adjusting it but I too found that it disppeared if the rear seat was released.

My cure was vaseline on the striker bar but make sure the black rubber buffer in the seat lock on the seat frame has some applied as I think this is where the noise may come from.

Instant cure...I did both rear seats and it never returned.

guest2181

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
I had a rattle from the back on mine when I first got.  I found that only 2 of the press studs that join the parcel shelf to the back of the rear had been joined.  Pressed the rest home no more rattles.

guest2843

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:25:01 PM »
I had this problem and my dealer identified the same issue with the rear seat fixing.He wrapped the fixed bar with black tape and this seems to have resolved the problem at present. :o

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »
Rattle here too - but it turned out the roof mounted third seat belt hadn't been parked properly by the Dealer. There are two slots in the roof cubby hole, one for each latch on the belt. Popped them in the relevant slots, no more rattles.

G*d this car is SO quiet!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 06:43:00 AM »
G*d this car is SO quiet!
Remember to check the tachometer before you think you have stalled the engine. Starting a running engine isn't so quiet!

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: