Author Topic: Climate control: A/C indicator in Auto mode?  (Read 84910 times)

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
Climate control: A/C indicator in Auto mode?
« on: November 18, 2023, 09:57:11 AM »
To prevent the windows from misting-up in humid weather, I have manually switched on the A/C (indicator A/C on lit).
I have noticed that the "A/C on" goes out immediately after pressing the Auto button (I'm driving in Eco-mode).

Now I'm wondering if there is any visible indication of A/C working in Auto mode or does Auto operate the A/C "silently" in the background. What are your findings?

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
Re: Climate control: A/C indicator in Auto mode?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 11:39:30 AM »
An indication on the climate control panel give A/C On or /c Off, if the centre of the temperature control dial is pushe A/C is on automatically - I leave it there, to select A/C without Auto, pressing the A/C button cancels the Auto and switches on/off the A/C, Simples

coldstart

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 01:38:22 PM »
... if the centre of the temperature control dial is pushe A/C is on automatically ...
Exactly my question:  If A/C is on by default in Auto-mode - why isn't the A/C on indicator lit at the same time?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 10:02:29 AM »
... if the centre of the temperature control dial is pushe A/C is on automatically ...
Exactly my question:  If A/C is on by default in Auto-mode - why isn't the A/C on indicator lit at the same time?
With Auto-mode you have set A/C  to be either on or off, as needed..    Do you really need an extra light going off and on  telling you what its doing at every given moment? Better to watch  the road  .
   If you are too hot or too cold change  the  climate control temperature.  If you are concerned at using more fuel, switch it all off and tolerate  the ambient temperature. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 10:07:45 AM »

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 10:17:23 AM »

...A/C is either on or off. Auto is on.

coldstart

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 02:49:09 PM »
Do you really need an extra light going off and on telling you what its doing at every given moment?
My goal is to find out if it is safe to leave A/C in Auto mode during winter and to see if A/C sometimes kicks in.
I prefer Auto mode over manual settings as it seems to do the right thing most of the time.

However, if Auto mode never switches on A/C during winter there might be unwanted biological growth in the condenser which leads to bad odours. Had that once in one of my VWs and after that began manually switching on A/C for short periods even in winter -> no more odours.

Maybe you now understand my wish for a visible feedback better. I mean: There is an indicator for A/C on - i cannot understand why Auto mode wouldn't use it.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 03:56:10 PM »
On  cold winter starts  I normally  press the front screen heating /demisting button. This works quite rapidly and I had assumed it concentrates everything at the windscreen, including starting A/C to help dehumidify.  But I might be wrong. :-[ As you say  there is no light to confirm this  . 

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 03:58:41 PM »
At an outside temperature lower than approximately 3 to 4°C, the air conditioning compressor will not function anyway... This is an automatic protection to prevent the evaporator from freezing.
If nothing goes right, go left!

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 04:27:05 PM »
At an outside temperature lower than approximately 3 to 4°C, the air conditioning compressor will not function anyway... This is an automatic protection to prevent the evaporator from freezing.
I'm glad to hear this. Every time I press the windshield demist or the Auto button, the AC turns back to auto mode, and I don't know is it on or off. It feels unnecessary to have the AC on when it's freezing cold outside, because the outside air is already so cold and dry. I don't believe the AC could make the already dry winter air much drier.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 11:49:17 AM »
I always think minus 5  more tolerable  than plus 5  which is  damp.   Colder than that it brings its own challenges.
I have read that Air conditioning needs to be used  periodically  ,even in winter, as the refrigerant contains lubricant that also helps keep rubber seals flexible.      How does this happen  in countries where the winter months will always be cold enough to shut the compressor down? 

And whilst an early failure  of the A/C compressor is an expensive nuisance on  those cars where A/C is just for cabin  comfort   what about those EV's (and possibly some hybrids)  that need  air conditioning to cool their HV batteries?   Maybe the cold  winter will suffice to keep the battery cool, but will A/C still be working next summer? You do not have the option of not bothering to get it fixed on an older car.    Or will people  skimp on this and EV battery fires become more common?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 12:15:55 PM »
I've always left mine in auto mode and never had any issues

My old Civic was nearly 10 years old, always left in auto, and never had any AC issues
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2023, 03:02:40 PM »
Having told my wife that it's a good idea to use a/c occasionally on her car she's noticed in my car that in Auto "you realise the a/c is never on as the light isn't on". I've tried to explain that I think it does come on occasionally but there's no way of telling how much so I've taken to setting the controls manually in winter months. I'm a bit sensitive about a/c having just had a new condenser installed.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2023, 03:17:40 PM »
...My A/c lasted 5 years before a new condenser? was required. That was on all the time and lasted for over 70,000mls.

My auto button has a light on it so the OP can take that as a/c on.

I never though so many posts could be written and so much time spent on the subject of whether a small light should come on or not!  :-X :o

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2023, 03:31:31 PM »
I never though so many posts could be written and so much time spent on the subject of whether a small light should come on or not!  :-X :o

If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags: