Author Topic: New Supermini Group Test  (Read 10413 times)

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
New Supermini Group Test
« on: November 01, 2023, 05:38:07 PM »

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Re: New Supermini Group Test
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 08:23:46 PM »
Typical car magazine result, the opposite of Which? I wonder how much Renault advertising they get compared to Honda  ;D

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 11:00:42 PM »
Had my Clio Espirit Alpine for nearly two months. Really pleased with it. Having previously owned only Honda cars for over 29 years, including two of the Jazz Crosstar (one being rejected within the first month).
It was a massive decision to change manufacturers.
In my opinion the Clio is a far better car to drive with no mooing engine and a better more normal automatic gearbox.
Also the infotainment system although by no means perfect is also far better than the system in the Jazz, with no glitches and smoother running.
The only drawback I have found is the lack of space and the feeling of more space compared to the Jazz and of course no magic seats.
But Clio does have an height adjustable passenger seat, which was important to me.
The sports seats are also extremely comfortable.
Cabin materials used also give the feeling of quality.
Will have to see how reliability of the Clio goes.
ESpirit Alpine is also well priced. I reluctantly couldn’t justify the additional cost for the Jazz Advance Sport.
Never ever thought I personally would move away from Honda.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 11:09:37 PM by NoelM »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 03:44:43 AM »
How can the non Hybrid Skoda be included, comparing apples with pears

I guess because VAG heavily advertise in AutoExpress
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 08:03:33 AM »
As a previous owner of 12 Renault cars on the trot, I can honestly say I never had any issues apart from the 2nd generation Scenic which had to have a replacement coil and the auto handbrake occasionally needed freeing. I had 3 Capturs on the bounce, and when the 2nd generation Captur went too big I opted to go for a Clio. The last 4 Renaults all having the TCE 90 (THE Clio actually had a TCE 100) motors. They were smooth, reliable and very economical. The interior space was good and although the dash/trim was a bit plasticky in places, the cabin was very comfy. Which begs the question, why did I switch allegiance to Honda?
Well, I was approaching 60 and started looking at a car that I would keep for a longer stretch than the 3 or 4 years I was used to. I started reading reviews and realised a hybrid was the way forward. Now, Renault had released a Clio hybrid around the same time as the Jazz and in some instances it was getting better scores. However, I could not get a test drive in one anywhere! I knew Honda had a good reputation, and I was looking for reliability and longevity. So, after having a test drive and seeing the reviews I switched. I did get a very good deal too, the Clio I had had for just over 2 years and with the trade in on the Jazz I only lost 2k. I got the 5 year service/warranty package, and feel confident the Jazz last will last me at least  8 or 9 years by which time I intend to drive much less. I also believe the Jazz will depreciate far less than most cars too. I purchased the Jazz in September 22, and so far have notched up 14500 miles. It has carried bikes and kayaks, camping equipment etc and it has been a great car, I love everything about it. I don't regret the decision one bit. 

Marksla

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2022
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 08:21:48 AM »
The only drawback I have found is the lack of space and the feeling of more space compared to the Jazz and of course no magic seats.
I guess it's all about personal priorities.  For me the great interior space relative to the compact external dimensions is a key factor for choosing a Jazz.

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 09:38:08 AM »
I see in the Jazz review that they still think that the Jazz has an eCVT gearbox!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2023, 10:09:37 AM »
...It's the usual review, generally find they can be ignored.

I'm not sure what the power figures are that they talk about?
... 'a motor that offers up to 121bhp and 253Nm. When the energy from the 0.86kWh battery is exhausted, a 1.5-litre petrol engine with 106bhp and 131Nm chimes in to add some extra shove'...

Makes it sound like 227bhp and 384nm  ;D

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2023, 10:26:48 AM »
We keep cars for decades.( Yes I realise I am a lone outlier)
So I ignore road tests - apart from how they drive and the functional aspects of the car.
I ignore  drivers who change cars every 3-4 years.
I read reviews/real life experiences of owners of high mileage cars.

Strangely enough I agree with reliability surveys.. long term that is.

Owners of New Range Rovers love them. Owners of older ones hate the bills.
Says it all.

Just sped read the Review.
The car with the best space, best fuel consumption and best retained value after 3 years came last..
Typical carp.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 10:31:46 AM by madasafish »

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2023, 11:37:16 AM »
Having quickly read the review, it seems one reason the Jazz is third is because of its high initial price. It’s so frustrating when magazines just compare price, what the private buyer is interested in is cost not price, i.e. ownership cost (depreciation, insurance, fuel, servicing, reliability). I am sure the Clio is a good car, not better nor worse than the Jazz, just a different hybrid proposition. And as Kremmen says, the Skoda isn’t a hybrid so doesn’t really fit in this test at all. But the advertising spend probably determines the magazine’s conclusions.

FMIB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2023, 12:20:28 PM »
Having quickly read the review, it seems one reason the Jazz is third is because of its high initial price. It’s so frustrating when magazines just compare price, what the private buyer is interested in is cost not price, i.e. ownership cost (depreciation, insurance, fuel, servicing, reliability). I am sure the Clio is a good car, not better nor worse than the Jazz, just a different hybrid proposition. And as Kremmen says, the Skoda isn’t a hybrid so doesn’t really fit in this test at all. But the advertising spend probably determines the magazine’s conclusions.
The test is for supermini's, so the type of engine, hybrid or other is not really of significance. I completely agree with you regarding the price and cost of ownership.
Perhaps the Sport was not a good choice, considering the Jazz in general is well spec'd, the Elegance or Advance might have made it a stronger contender. However, looking at the service, fuel and depreciation, the Jazz does make a much stronger case for itself.
Sure the Clio is a good car and for many it's a great option, but for me the practicality and ease of getting in and out of the Jazz made it an easy choice.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2023, 03:59:01 PM »
How can the non Hybrid Skoda be included, comparing apples with pears

I guess because VAG heavily advertise in AutoExpress
The survey was  'The battle of the supermini' NOT what power plant it has. 
Obviously fair to include the Fabia which is a cracking little car.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 06:44:56 PM »
And why is the Jazz so expensive to insure in comparison with the Clio and Fabia?

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 09:49:10 PM »
Agreed, Jazzz came last because of its high purchase price.  If it were 4-5000 cheaper, it would probably win. It puts you in a conundrum, but still think, if I could afford it, I would choose the Jazz.   8)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 11:49:07 AM »
The surprise of that test, is that the German (well Czech but VAG) didn't win by default.

I note the service costs of the Jazz are way lower than the other two cars. Service costs (3 years)Clio    £720   Skoda £675 Honda £335. Unlike Honda to be the cheapest to service.

Tags: