Author Topic: Android Auto Music  (Read 1344 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Android Auto Music
« on: June 17, 2023, 05:32:42 PM »
After my successful experiment switching from wireless to USB Android Auto/Google Maps I've been looking at Android music apps.

I've created a playlist on my Android phone using VLC and it looks fine. I'll be testing it in operation Monday.

Pulsar was suggested but once loaded, all the tracks within albums were in the wrong order. Yes they can be changed but after doing 5 albums I got bored and uninstalled it. VLC loaded the albums tracks in the correct order.

I'm hoping I can configure it to work like my USB stick used to in that when I press the headunit volume button it plays the tracks from where it was last time I turned it off.

Let's be careful out there !

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
Re: Android Auto Music
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 07:47:24 PM »
Most players will sort alphabetically by default, unless your ripper was set to add numbers at the beginning of file names (or tags). One of the free batch renamers is you friend for lots of albums, drag to order wanted in folder and one click adds numbers in order at the start of filenames.
Personally I only use random from various mood playlists in the car anyway, (but not for classical)   :D

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 04:48:40 AM »
Thanks

The album tracks do need to be in the correct order and VLC did retain that order so on to stage 2 to test playing and continuity.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 07:38:24 AM »
Probably not relevant here,  but I was looking for a simple music player a while back and came across recommendations for Musicolet. I've been very pleased with it,  dead easy to use, plenty of options if you want them.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 08:30:15 AM »
Thanks

There are a lot on Google Play and difficult to choose.

I looked up reviews and AIMP frequently comes top but after installing there were loads of popups for required permissions and behind that was dozens more options so I abandoned that one.

I've not had time to experiment in the car yet but VLC was quick and simple to setup.

All I want is to imitate the USB stick which played and continued where it left off.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 08:38:34 AM »
Tested and works perfectly :)

Google Maps up and running before the Start / Settings nag screen so as soon as that screen is dismissed it's all systems go.

Fired up VLC  on the headunit and started a playlist. Turning audio off then back on carries on from where it left off. Then did the same and powered down the car and it also resumes from where it left off.

Proper job :)

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 10:10:15 PM »
@Kremmen, how did you install VLC on the Jazz Infortainment system?
I am interested as I have thought about adding an app for reading PDFs in this system and then downloading the UK Jazz Mk4 car manual PDF into the system (Honda New Zealand does not supply a copy of the manual as standard on the Jazz sold in New Zealand.
Thanks

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 05:15:20 AM »
I didn't, I installed VLC on my phone, Samsung S23+, then it shows up automatically on the headunit as a recognised app.

I did go into the Android Auto settings on my phone and 'customise' the launcher to move VLC higher up the list. That allowed the headunit to show VLC in the bottom menu under the Google Maps screen.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 10:34:59 AM »
I did go into the Android Auto settings on my phone and 'customise' the launcher to move VLC higher up the list. That allowed the headunit to show VLC in the bottom menu under the Google Maps screen.
If you have the Coolwalk update to Android Auto (it splits the screen into two panels), the icons at the bottom change to reflect the most recent ones you have used.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 11:03:47 AM »
I do have the Coolwalk update but at the moment I prefer Google Maps full screen.

I've just moved to a new area and I'm making use of Google Maps navigation to get me to various DIY stores.

I'm finding that once ready I just press the audio button and it carries on where it left off so I've no use for the stop pause play buttons.

Google navigation is way ahead of Garmin. It gives clearer road ID's with street names and the road number if available. This allows me to compare the turn with road signs to get it right. Garmin just tells me to 'turn left into station road' or whatever and as I don't know the area I don't know where station road is.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2023, 12:12:51 PM »
Google navigation is way ahead of Garmin. It gives clearer road ID's with street names and the road number if available. This allows me to compare the turn with road signs to get it right. Garmin just tells me to 'turn left into station road' or whatever and as I don't know the area I don't know where station road is.

Your Garmin doesn't show in front of you the turn-by-turn display? An arrow plus 500...100...50 yards/meters?

So easy! You don't need to look for a street name, just follow that indicator plus what that nice lady tells you...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 12:25:40 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2023, 01:41:48 PM »
I like to glance across to see the road layout ahead, in satellite view, so I know what to expect with the route highlighted.

I'm sure my driver display navigation is white, yours looks pink !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 02:58:35 PM »
I'm sure my driver display navigation is white, yours looks pink !

As you can see this is a picture of an RHD Jazz, and sure enough the navigation on the driver display, like in our LHD, is really, really pink!
Are you really sure your pink is white?  ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 08:14:09 AM »
...In built nav is pink, Android Auto is white.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 08:50:27 AM »
That'll be it.

Shame really because a different colour does stand out.

Tags:

anything