Author Topic: Garmin Drivesmart 86 with Alexa and BC wireless backup camera with Jazz SE  (Read 611 times)

AshimotoK0

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE Hybrid 2023
Thanks for accepting me !
My wife's Toyota Yaris Icon was rear ended last week and a certain write-off.
She has  put a deposit on a 2023 delivery miles (5 mile) Jazz Hybrid Mk4 SE (basic model).
The dealer has snazzed it up with black alloys and tinted rear windows etc and it's a nice pearl white colour so it's bit nicer than the standard SE.
What she is going to miss though is the Yaris's rear camera and SatNav,  only available on the Jazz models higher trims and the new Elegance model. Even though I am an electronics engineer, I doubt if the Mk4 'infotainment' system (if I could get one for RH drive)   could be easily integrated into the SE model as it's probably 'coded' into the car.
I have a truly excellent  8" screen Garmin Drivesmart  86 SatNav with integrated Alexa in my own Mitsubishi, combined with a Garmin BC 40 Wireless (blue-tooth) rear backup camera. It's an excellent setup with lifetime maps etc and far better than the Yaris's inbuilt Satnav and rear camera.
My thoughts are a that I could 3-D print a bespoke housing to house the same Garmin units to fit over the Jazz SE central radio unit. She could still use the steering wheel controls to control radio channel and volume and anyway she would probably be using the Garmis Alexa feature with Amazon music etc for audio plus the Garmin also has full mobile phone call integration.
Or is this all just a pipe-dream?

AshimotoK0

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE Hybrid 2023
I did see this in the link below but not sure on the quality and I know trust and love my Garmin units. The idea of a housing it to make it look as if it's integrated into the car and not so nickable as a suction windscreen mounted unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003494155699.html

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Even though I have the MK4 Satnav I've wired in my old DriveSmart 61. Mainly for the whole route traffic bar that I don't think is available on newer Garmin's.

I find the higher position on the dash top to be better than the centre lower position of the built in unit. I can view the Garmin with the road still in my peripheral vision.

You can also use the PGPSW speedcam database on the Garmin as well.
Let's be careful out there !

JazzyJayyy

• Approved Member
I did see this in the link below but not sure on the quality and I know trust and love my Garmin units. The idea of a housing it to make it look as if it's integrated into the car and not so nickable as a suction windscreen mounted unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003494155699.html

I've fitted a similar unit into my jazz, but be aware, the fascia/trim around the radio is NOT symetrical - the dash is raised on one side more than the other, so if you're got a RHD/UK jazz, these units may not fit unless they explictly mention fitting RHD - just a generic "jazz" is not enough, as it's sold in LHD regions as jazz too :(

Tags: