Author Topic: New Honda EV  (Read 2095 times)

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
New Honda EV
« on: May 16, 2023, 10:50:16 PM »
People planning to update their Jazz Mk.4 to a new Honda EV:

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/e-ny1-electric-suv/overview.html

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
Re: New Honda EV
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 12:47:14 AM »
hello great link to new video etc but what an extortionate price £45000 estimate and by what cars first review on you tube  not that impressed!!!!  ev cars just do not have an acceptable range as yet  the infrastructure for charging is not good enough, also if no charging point at home  aprox £1000 extra instaillation on top just a non starter for the average joe bloggs looking for a new car a friend of mine has a  kia phev and already has enough problems with apps to access charging points and  charging costs per unit was up to 79 pence per unit??? at a local point, also battery life 8yrs??? then slow degradation of battery i think the ev jazz or civic is the way again if you have the money in todays climate???

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 04:05:45 AM »
One of my neighbours daughters has just got rid of a one year old Tesla for a hybrid Audi.

She found the charging infrastructure and public charging costs a joke. I didn't ask how much but she lost a packet on the Tesla.
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 08:47:34 AM »
There's lots of scare stories out there about EV's but if you can charge at home they're still cheaper per mile than a petrol or hybrid car. Unless you do a lot of long journeys you hardly ever need to use the public charging network. Having said that I wouldn't buy new at the moment, a one year old Tesla with low miles can be picked up for around £33k for example.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 09:48:08 AM »
Scare stories or not the demand for new  EV's in the UK is apparently falling quite significantly at the moment.
They suit many users needs very well, but  other EV owners are discovering  the reality is problems with range and public charging infrastructure.    Until working and  unoccupied  charging points are as plentiful as petrol filling stations, all over europe, and charging only takes 10 minutes (or my driving  lifestyle changes significantly)  I couldnt consider full EV.

I've heard that Tesla will no longer be  making  right hand drive versions of some of their models to save costs.  UK customers with one on order will either have to change the order to  another model, or will receive a left hand drive car.  :o

Their better selling models are still available in RHD, at least for now, but  will Elon pull the plug in the future (excuse pun) 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 10:06:01 AM »
"pull the plug" very good  ;D

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 11:19:09 AM »
Have a look here for comments. Few comments admittedly, but generally we think Honda have 'bopped a drollok' with the e:NY1.
I certainly wont be buying one at that price when I can have an MG ZS far better specced, bigger mileage per charge and about TEN GRAND£ LESS!!
I think Honda have lost the plot. THE e:NY1 is going to be built in CHINA, next to Chinese EVs costing a LOT less and with longer warranties. Honda seem completely blind to the fact that the Chinese are on the brink of flooding the western world with sensibly priced EVs. MG (already) BYD, ORA etc etc.
https://www.hondaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2022
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 11:23:23 AM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Terryp

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz EX crosstar
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 11:23:25 AM »
I use an EV at work, got in it yesterday to find it hadn’t charged, the trip had to be quashed until the car took a charge. Hate the thing.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 11:30:46 AM »
Nope, not for me. Another Stupid Utility Vehicle.. with the added problem of short range/poor infrastructure. Far too big, a cumbersome looking thing with all the aesthetics and aerodynamics of a breeze block at a ridiculous price too.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 03:44:55 PM by Nicksey »

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 12:44:28 PM »
My daughter and her husband are currently living in the USA.  On their last visit to the UK the were given an electric hire car at Heathrow.  Not many charging facilities near where I live so on the return journey to the airport from Devon they soon had to stop to charge the car.  The car had to be returned with at least 80% charge. So they had to stop a second time at a motorway service area close to Heathrow to top up.  All this added one and a half hours to their normal travel time.  Needless to say they weren't impressed with the electric car experience.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »
Wouldn't you have thought the company would say ...... the car has 80% charge and if you return it with less than 80% we charge £xx for each % point ?

Years ago when I hired a transit they supplied it full and said they would top it up on return and add the cost to the final bill. Fortunately they had a pump on site so it could be watched.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 03:08:12 PM »
Scare stories or not the demand for new  EV's in the UK is apparently falling quite significantly at the moment.
They suit many users needs very well, but  other EV owners are discovering  the reality is problems with range and public charging infrastructure.    Until working and  unoccupied  charging points are as plentiful as petrol filling stations, all over europe, and charging only takes 10 minutes (or my driving  lifestyle changes significantly)  I couldnt consider full EV.

I've heard that Tesla will no longer be  making  right hand drive versions of some of their models to save costs.  UK customers with one on order will either have to change the order to  another model, or will receive a left hand drive car.  :o

Their better selling models are still available in RHD, at least for now, but  will Elon pull the plug in the future (excuse pun)
The demand for EVs goes up or down in line with fuel costs. There was an uptick in demand a year ago when the price of petrol shot up now the reverse is happening as electricity prices have risen. The government intends to reduce tax on electricity and increase it on fossil fuels which will then tip the balance back in favour of EVs.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 05:47:43 PM »
I had a year with the Honda E, as a second car for short trips only with home charging, which I replaced with the Jazz.
Without home charging, I would never have got one to try, there are some plus points, however, my biggest issue was when I wanted to go out, spur of the moment and having insufficient charge for the trip and then having to wait an hour or three for it to charge.
Non of that faff with the Jazz, many a petrol station up the road when I need a splash and dash.

I would also point out that many(most) of the public charging points are in the open with no weather protection, another negative in my opinion.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 09:21:01 PM »
I have the E and it is the best car I've ever had, the tech is marvelous, the acceleration fantastic, the handling superb though I tend to drive more sedately nowadays. Retired, home charging, it's there for local trips, never used a public charger except once at Tesco when it was free and did not need it anyway, and would never go on a long trip in it because of the infrastructure. That is what the Jazz is perfect for, next best closest thing.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2023, 04:40:18 AM »
Can you trickle charge the E from a standard 13A socket ?

When my current 5 year package runs out, a car sat in the garage just for local trips may be an answer for me.

Tags:

anything