Author Topic: Towbar for bikes  (Read 1202 times)

Nixtoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz mk3 (previously mk2 & mk1)
Towbar for bikes
« on: May 09, 2023, 03:27:36 PM »
We're looking at buying a 23 plate jazz se and would like to continue to use our bike carrier. The dealer can't fit a tow bar they said they usually use the local towbar place. Can anyone recommend anywhere in the north west UK. I've found a place in Manchester but they said they use a universal wiring kit which will invalidate the waranty. My current rack is a Thule euroway 923. Thanks

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Towbar for bikes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 04:02:54 PM »
Thule approved by Honda
Let's be careful out there !

Nixtoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 06:11:38 PM »
Thanks, it's suppliers and fitters of the towbar that seem to be the issue. I had this helpful reply from Honda!
Thank you for contacting Honda UK.

To following up on our call from today i can confirm that the Jazz 2023 model has no towing capacity indeed

The option for transporting bikes with it would be to put the roof crossbars.

The maximum roof load is 45 kg.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 04:58:54 AM »
I find that reply bizarre because whilst we have known towing is not permitted on MK4 Jazz prior to the MY24 they have always had the rear bike carrier as an option as far as I remember.

Maybe the reply was focussed on your 'towing' statement.
Let's be careful out there !

Nixtoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 07:28:04 AM »
I rang them, I explained what I wanted to do. With the dealer not fitting towbars and a local Center using a wiring kit that would impact the warranty I wanted to check the official line. I’ve also been quoted a 70kg nose weight by two centres (they think). If it’s only 50kg our carrier will take a big chunk of this, if it’s 70kg then we’re the same as for our 16 plate jazz.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 08:07:36 AM »
In the Netherlands a towbar is available for the mk4; it takes 75 kg as a vertical load. Instead of a completely round top (you do not need it to hinge around corners as with a normal trailer) it is flattened making the bike carrier fit very stable. Very happy with it.
It used to be available for my dealer only (they had it designed and built because Honda wasn’t going to), but after a few months it became available in whole NL.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 08:09:07 AM »
I wondered about this too. On previous cars (all Renault) I had roof-bars for transporting Kayaks or bikes, but also had the tow bar set up when carrying multiple bikes. When I bought the Jazz, I also bought the roof-bars for it too. So it would seem now I will only be carrying one or the other. I suppose, seeing as there is only my wife and myself.. I will probably use the magic seat facility, and get a bike in that area (taking the wheels off first though)

There is this though....

https://hondadirectparts.co.uk/parts/honda-jazz-genuine-parts/jazz-hybrid-2020/accessories-jazz-2020/honda-jazz-hybrid-thule-bicycle-carrier-coach/

« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 08:14:30 AM by Nicksey »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 08:21:15 AM »
I wondered about this too. On previous cars (all Renault) I had roof-bars for transporting Kayaks or bikes, but also had the tow bar set up when carrying multiple bikes. When I bought the Jazz, I also bought the roof-bars for it too. So it would seem now I will only be carrying one or the other. I suppose, seeing as there is only my wife and myself.. I will probably use the magic seat facility, and get a bike in that area (taking the wheels off first though)

There is this though....

https://hondadirectparts.co.uk/parts/honda-jazz-genuine-parts/jazz-hybrid-2020/accessories-jazz-2020/honda-jazz-hybrid-thule-bicycle-carrier-coach/

I know Kremmen posted this, but thought I would add it because it is now on sale. I have used this supplier for all my extras, and far cheaper than going through official Honda dealers/site.

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 03:59:50 PM »
Nicksey, do you have a link for the roof bars that you bought please? Where they Honda ones or after market and have you had any problems with them marking the roof at all with not having side rails?

Nixtoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 07:31:44 PM »
We used cruz ones on our old jazz and will be getting the same for the new jazz

Nicksey

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 07:20:34 AM »
Nicksey, do you have a link for the roof bars that you bought please? Where they Honda ones or after market and have you had any problems with them marking the roof at all with not having side rails?

Here you go. I have used Fish bros, for all my Jazz accessories. Yes, they are genuine Honda parts, and far cheaper than going through your dealer. No, they don't mark the car at all. I did put a piece of electrical insulation tape under the roof/door jamb, but this was more for alignment each time I fitted them rather than protection.
https://hondadirectparts.co.uk/parts/honda-jazz-genuine-parts/jazz-hybrid-2020/accessories-jazz-2020/honda-jazz-hybrid-roof-rack/

AnastieByte

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX Sunlight White Pearl
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2023, 04:45:18 PM »

Tags: