Author Topic: Speed alarm malfunction  (Read 1040 times)

Jazza

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5i-MMD Hybrid EX
Speed alarm malfunction
« on: May 07, 2023, 02:57:52 PM »
I drive a 2021 Mk4 Hybrid EX and I have the Speed Alarms set at 33mph and 73mph.  The alarm beeps whenever I accelerate beyond 33 mph, but irritatingly, it frequently beeps again at apparently random speeds beyond 33 mph.  For example, if I am accelerating along a country road it might beep at 33, and then 37.  On one occasion recently it beeped at 33 and then 43 and 47 in quick succession on a single acceleration phase.  This type of behaviour seems to be random, occurring several times on some days and not at all on others.  I have reported it to local Honda dealer who suggested it could be linked to the Adaptive Cruise Control, but I have that turned off.  I have also tried turning off the Traffic Sign Recognition System Speed Limit Warning, and it still happens.  The dealer suggested leaving the car with him to drive it for a few days to experience the issue himself.  I was reluctant as it appears to be an intermittent fault and he might not experience it.  I agreed that I would keep a log of occurrences, and in 617 miles it happened 21 times.
I am reluctant to just turn the feature off and forget it.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Any ideas what could be causing it?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Speed alarm malfunction
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 03:02:29 PM »
I've only set mine to 75mph as I'm not sure how the lower one is supposed to work.

If you frequently drive on faster roads then do you need the lower setting constantly going off when you are not speeding, even if it's just when you cross the threshold.
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 03:22:20 PM »
Cruise control beeps before it limits when sensing traffic in front? Could it be this?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 03:37:41 PM »
Could it just be that it is reminding you you have exceeded the set alarm speed?  Perhaps once you exceed the set speed it alarms so many seconds later then finally throws its arms up and says on you go.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 05:22:55 PM »
Could it be the traffic sign recognition system  over- speed warning rather than your pre set speed alarms ?

It may have detected a new  speed limit sign (perhaps intended for a side road, not the one you are on) and its informing you that you are exceeding that speed,    You can switch this alarm off (see page 154 of the on line manual)  I normally have mine off to avoid too many false alarms  from  peripheral signs.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 05:31:20 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazza

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.5i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 08:08:45 PM »
Lord Voltermore - interesting suggestion.  I shall turn it off and see what happens.
Jocko - I suppose that is a possibility, but it seems to occur very inconsistently.
aphybrid - I rarely use cruise control.
Kremmen - I do quite a lot of driving on urban roads so find the 33mph alarm very useful, so would prefer to retain it.  I can do without it beeping at speeds other than 33 though.

Thank you for your responses.  If I can’t resolve it I shall push Honda dealer to pursue it with Honda UK to get an explanation/resolution.  I will keep the Forum informed.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 11:32:17 AM »
I don't use the in car speed limiter, I let the Garmin dash cam tell me if I exceed the speed limit. Its a far gentler beep, and only does it the once at each excess.

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 02:15:08 PM »
I have mine set at 30 and 50mph.  I don't remember it beeping at any other speed.

Tags:

anything