Author Topic: Oil change how-to?  (Read 3159 times)

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
Oil change how-to?
« on: March 14, 2023, 10:29:41 AM »
Need to do an oil/filter change but like to be a little prepared before I get underneath the car. Like, find out where the drain plug is, maybe where the oil filter is etc. Seems like search engines these days bring up lots of results that want to sell you stuff but nothing actually useful. Utube hits seem to be for the MK1. Then maybe I'm just cr*p at searching .....  :o  Anyhow, can anyone point me at a 'useful' guide to an oil/filter change? Taking off/on undertrays etc.

Ta.
Dave
Carpe diem …

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Oil change how-to?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 02:47:19 PM »
Never done a Jazz. Sorry.   My Yaris had hatches in undertray so you could change the  oil filter without removing the whole lot.   Professional garages often change the oil by sucking the oil out of the dip stick tube.   This saves having to remove the drain plug , replace the seal washer, and avoids any problem with  damage to the plug ,or oil sump, or having to tighten the nut to the correct torque.   You can buy DIY  oil pumps for this job, but there there may be some doubts that  all the oil is being drained. If using the drain plug buy a new sealing washer.

If, as I believe, the oil filter is a screw on  canister, there are a few tips. Buy a good quality one.  .Its not worth skimping.  Make sure its the correct specification. Sometimes they might be the same  size but missing a built in oil by pass valve etc. 
 They can be quite stubborn to unscrew.   You may need an oil filter wrench  (basically a strap that wraps round the canister and grips it tight. You could possibly make something using strapping or rope  tightened with a bar. .     
You can also buy  a spanner that fits the   end of the canister but they are expensive for diy use.   The canister usually has spanner 'flats' built in.  I   had to buy one for my Yaris as the filter was a pig to remove.
 If all else fails I have in the past  removed stubborn filters   by driving an long old screwdriver right  through the old canister ,piercing it, with the handle one side and a length of blade the other  and using this as a handle to unscrew it.  . But this makes a mess and you have to be sure you have the correct replacement filter to hand.   

Screw on filters usually have a rubber sealing washer built in.  Lightly lubricate this seal  with a bit of engine oil   (there will probably be a few drips around)   as it helps  prevent it being dislodged and aids tightening.  Tighten Hand tight,  plus maybe a slight bit more  to be sure.  It doesnt have to be as tight as it was to get off.     But this does take  a bit of a leap of faith that you have done it tight enough.  Give the car a short drive then check again for leaks.  Same with drain plug if you removed this.      Dispose of old oil  responsibly.   :P      Its a skill that once learned can save money over the years,,but maybe best avoided if you dont plan to do it very often.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 04:04:29 PM »

dvhttn

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 06:44:01 PM »
Thanks Jocko, I'll watch that later. LV I'm just after specifics for the Jazz as I can do most things myself (got a Honda FireBlade engine on my bench at the moment) but there will always be a hidden fastener somewere or a bracket that's likely to break unless loosened in the correct manner. Just wanted to avoid that.
Dave
Carpe diem …

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 07:44:44 PM »
Another video that should help:

I've used an independent for my last couple of services and have pre-ordered a service kit. I do like a new crush washer on the sump plug.
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-jazz-major-service-kit-2016/

Also a link to the plastic undertray rivets you will probably need - the screws should be ok. I keep a bag of the rivets in the boot for servicing and treat them as consumables.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12398.msg116102#msg116102

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 09:38:21 PM »
As in the link in the above post, just to say that I've recently ordered a variety of clips/fixings from https://www.vehicleclips.co.uk/ to replace a few broken/missing items in various vehicles I have in my fleet. Very satisfied customer, they are very quick and efficient and have a pretty huge range of items.
I tend to over-stock with such things, if I'm going to the trouble of ordering I'll get a 50 pack for twice the price of a 10 pack, maybe worth just comparing prices. YMMV

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »
Made it twice on my Jazz 1.3, the video shows a 1.5 vtec but panels, oil filter and drain pulg are in the same position.
I agree with Badger, rear clips locking the underbonnet panel will easily break so it's a good idea to provide some spare clips.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 08:18:30 AM »

dvhttn

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 08:48:30 AM »
I'd get one of those squeeze wrench oil filter removers, makes the job so much easier

£6.99

Thanks but already got a couple of these ... https://www.autobarn.net/cta-oil-filter-wrench-80mm.html ... the one for my FireBlade fits perfectly ... :-)

And thanks to all for the videos and links. I'll do the oil change and order any fixings if (though the general consensus seems to be 'when'  :D ) I break any. In the meantime I have cable ties ....
Dave
Carpe diem …

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 02:25:02 PM »
I'll ... order any fixings if (though the general consensus seems to be 'when'  :D ) I break any. In the meantime I have cable ties ....
First time I changed my fixings was after the first oil change made (and paid) in Honda dealer.
Second time was just after the second oil change made (and paid) in Honda dealer.
Third time after the fourth oil change, with third and fourth made by me.
I take them as the oil drain gasket or the oil filter, "provide a new one at every oil change."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 03:27:51 PM by jazzaro »

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2023, 09:16:41 PM »
You did ask if there were any bits to get so you were prepared...  ;)

It's not a reflection on your skills - those push rivets tend to get covered in dirt which makes them difficult to remove, and they also go brittle.

Spending a couple of quid on a bag of spares for each oil change just makes things easy, and reliable.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2023, 12:29:27 PM »
You did ask if there were any bits to get so you were prepared...  ;)

It's not a reflection on your skills - those push rivets tend to get covered in dirt which makes them difficult to remove, and they also go brittle.

Spending a couple of quid on a bag of spares for each oil change just makes things easy, and reliable.
I realized I was running without them some hundred of kilometers after the first oil change (made by the dealer). A friend driving another car behind me saw a panel fluttering at high speed under my Jazz, I watched it and I found no plastic fittings  holding the undertray. Back to the dealer, they provided two new ones.
The year after, second oil change, when I arrived home I gave a look to the undertray, I found the two fittings but they were broken so in some kilometers I would have lost them again: that's why  I provided a little backup of fittings.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 11:52:00 PM »
Did first oil change on Jazz last year and found the plastic "rivets" were broken and the cracks dusty (obviously not my fault!). No rivets to hand so:-
Decided to link two or more long(ish) electrical cable ties together and thread though the holed in the undertray and round the box section cross member - seemed to work well.
Guess an alternative might be a short 10mm dia Plastic wall plug and screw with washer - measure everything  (depth of cavity in box section) and visit local DIY store with vernier calipers at the ready!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 08:23:30 AM »
Plastic fixings are cheap and readily available on eBay. I just bought a bag and used them as needed.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2023, 09:26:18 AM »
I did mine yesterday.

My plastic undertray was screws in with about 8 screws and the plastic rivot at the rear end of it was all brittle so got a nice new ebay one on.

Getting the cover off is the hardest bit. Changing oil and filter was a doddle after that.

Tags: