Author Topic: Idling when stationery  (Read 1826 times)

myself44

• Approved Member
Idling when stationery
« on: February 28, 2023, 08:13:46 AM »
Is it okay to have the hybrid / engine turned on and running for 30 mins or so to keep warm when parked, or will this have a negative impact on the hybrid batteries short and long term?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Idling when stationery
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 08:18:47 AM »
It won’t harm the car but it will harm the environment. Put on another layer of clothing or go for a walk rather than burning fossil fuels to stay still.

myself44

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 08:26:22 AM »
I don't need environment advice thanks.

The other person who will be in the car is unable to go for a walk , and putting on more additional clothing will be very  hard to do

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 08:37:58 AM »
How do you keep it idling when parked?  The engine normally cuts out at least for a while.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 08:41:38 AM »
If you set your temp, the engine will cut in and out to keep the heater going.
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 08:44:02 AM »
Is it okay to have the hybrid / engine turned on and running for 30 mins or so to keep warm when parked, or will this have a negative impact on the hybrid batteries short and long term?

If I understand correctly how the hybrid system works, you don't have a choice about whether the engine runs or not. You turn the car on, and the computer decides whether the engine is needed according to the battery charging and temperature demands. So you're probably pretty safe in assuming the engine will shut down if it's not needed or there's any risk of damage.

My local council has started declaring "No idling zones" with signs asking people to turn engines off if not needed.

myself44

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 09:01:40 AM »
Thank you for the input

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 09:23:11 AM »
I dont see why it would harm the car. Heating the car, or cooling the car( 8) )      The engine will stop and start when it needs to, just as if its being driven.

I know you realise the ecological (and financial)  penalty,  but dont completely dismiss the possible downsides, such as exhaust fumes in a relatively  confined area     or leaving  vulnerable persons or pets in an unattended car assuming the car  will  keep them at a safe temperature .   For heating  or cooling.   (sorry but some folk do daft things  :-[ )   It may still be worth experimenting to see if heated seats on a low level might  reduce the frequency the engine needs to start.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

myself44

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 10:06:35 AM »
Thanks for the heated seat idea, just to confirm the car up or person would not be left unattended

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 12:36:40 PM »
The car engine will fire up, then cut out which will then deplete the battery.. and then the engine will fire up again. The car hasn't got a temp gauge, so you won't be aware of what over heating may be occurring, until the warning light comes on. Idling for more than a few minutes is not good for any car, regardless of hybrid configurations, which is why a lot of cars now have the stop/start feature (which isn't just an economy feature).
Plus, it is bad for the environment.

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 01:13:03 PM »
As an aside, and sorry if off topic, I wonder why when reversing into the garage at the end of a journey the Jazz always does it on battery, even when the guage is low on 3 bars, but when starting in the garage in the morning the engine powers up at once.
Should there be a "garage" option in the menu to roll out of the garage on battery for say 30 seconds, then power the engine when out in the open air to prevent fumes in the garage? I close the door straight way with the remote and know the exhaust is pretty clean compared to past times but it still seems strange for a car with the ability.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2023, 01:21:32 PM »
Same here, reverse garage parking always electric.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 07:04:21 PM »
The car engine will fire up, then cut out which will then deplete the battery.. and then the engine will fire up again. The car hasn't got a temp gauge, so you won't be aware of what over heating may be occurring, until the warning light comes on. Idling for more than a few minutes is not good for any car, regardless of hybrid configurations, which is why a lot of cars now have the stop/start feature (which isn't just an economy feature).
If a car, any car, overheats when stationary with the engine running then it has a problem. The electric fan should cut in and cool the engine even on a hot summer's day. Just as it does in slow-moving traffic.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 09:26:11 PM »

If a car, any car, overheats when stationary with the engine running then it has a problem. The electric fan should cut in and cool the engine even on a hot summer's day. Just as it does in slow-moving traffic.

Totally agree. And as for slow-moving traffic: even in non-moving :( traffic our Jazz has already proven this several times.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 07:36:04 AM »

Yes, I am aware of this. The point I was trying to make though was this is another drain on the battery cycle procedure. It takes a lot of energy to run a fan to keep an engine cool when stationary.

Tags:

anything