Author Topic: Plug in Diagnostic tool advice  (Read 1829 times)

Yas

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz 1.3 SE
Plug in Diagnostic tool advice
« on: February 09, 2023, 08:20:24 PM »
Hello,

I need a tool to tell me which parking sensor isn't working without costing the earth. Can you please tell me which one you use that has proven to be reliable for the MK3 jazz please.

Many thanks

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
Re: Plug in Diagnostic tool advice
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 09:40:41 PM »
Hello,

I need a tool to tell me which parking sensor isn't working without costing the earth. Can you please tell me which one you use that has proven to be reliable for the MK3 jazz please.

Many thanks
I have the Honda HDS, I must check if it can read park system error codes.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 10:16:40 PM »
It would be cheaper to get an Auto Electrician to scan and possibly even repair it for you.

Yas

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 02:57:28 AM »
Hello,

Many thanks
I have the Honda HDS, I must check if it can read park system error codes.

I will look into this, thank you

Yas

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 02:59:42 AM »
It would be cheaper to get an Auto Electrician to scan and possibly even repair it for you.

You are probably right, but it may prove useful in future. I just don't want to be ripped off by a garage (I don't have a 'go to' guy unfortunately)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 02:19:39 PM »
I had an airbag warning issue, "intermittent sensor". on my Volvo S40 so I just Googled local auto electrician. Went to the nearest and the guy repaired the fault in a couple of hours for £80. He also suggested I think about replacing my battery as it was on its last legs so I took his advice.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 05:59:36 PM »
I had an airbag warning issue, "intermittent sensor". on my Volvo S40 so I just Googled local auto electrician. Went to the nearest and the guy repaired the fault in a couple of hours for £80. He also suggested I think about replacing my battery as it was on its last legs so I took his advice.
Some error codes are "public", so everybody can read them using a simple and cheap eobd reader with the proper software.
Other codes are not public but workshops usually can read them using their readers.
Other error codes can be read only using the official eobd reader.

Yas

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 10:44:04 PM »

Sounds like you found a good guy, I was quoted £70 for an hour (will diagnose and fix if able to with that time) by an independent and £105 by Honda today. Honda also quoted £165 for 1 sensor without fitting.

Yas

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 10:49:22 PM »
Some error codes are "public", so everybody can read them using a simple and cheap eobd reader with the proper software.
Other codes are not public but workshops usually can read them using their readers.
Other error codes can be read only using the official eobd reader.

I'm assuming you're referring to tools that run into the hundreds and not the ones you can pick up for under £100.

This is all new to me, I previously had a ford Mondeo that was as good as gold for over 8 years.

orangeTomato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK3 Jazz
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 11:57:18 PM »
Can you wave your hands in front of the sensors until you work out which one isn't working? Might not need a fault code reader at all...

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 11:02:41 AM »
Yes, I would of thought with an assistant you could work out which one doesn't work, by viewing the parking sensor image and listening for beeps or lack of.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 02:31:27 PM »
If one sensor doesn't work the whole system doesn't work.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 03:23:23 PM »
I'm assuming you're referring to tools that run into the hundreds and not the ones you can pick up for under £100.
Tools and softwares.
https://www.amazon.it/iLC-Wireless-Lettore-Scansione-Strumento/dp/B0BDRHRR22/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_w=qfy2C&content-id=amzn1.sym.81fbe0c5-695e-4b00-86b4-bbf642a39a81&pf_rd_p=81fbe0c5-695e-4b00-86b4-bbf642a39a81&pf_rd_r=TB5D399HWC85SAYWGAYT&pd_rd_wg=DO11e&pd_rd_r=f26a7e54-5b7b-490f-8485-ef12af88cebf&pd_rd_i=B01NAQ2878&th=1
This is an interface used to connect the CAN-BUS line of the car (the circuit connecting all ECUs of all cars Euro3 and later) with an external reader, using a cheap tool like this you could theoretically read all parameters, all error codes of your car and modify all settings. Now, free softwares can read public obd codes, public parameters and a limited list of proprietary codes of some manufacturer: problem,  every manufacturer set a huge list of proprietary codes that can be read ONLY by the proprietary software, and usually the proprietary software "wants" a specific proprietary interface. So, if you need to know the engine cooling liquid temperature of your Jazz, you can buy a cheap interface, install the Torque Lite software on your android or IOS device, connect your device with the interface and read this value. But if you want tho know the intake camshaft angle set by the i-VTEC system or if you want to change the way your headlights turn back to automatic mode after a flashing, you need the Honda HDS software and this software will check if you are using the proper Honda interface. Obviously, software and interface will cost hundreds or thousands of euros...
But there is an escape way, a little bit illegal... The proprietary sofware, downloaded from some servers, can be cheated using some "fake" interfaces, so it will run even on your computer. These chinese copies of original interfaces are not so cheap like the ELM327 I've posted, but they are definetly cheaper than original ones: quite all Honda HDS, Renault Can Clip, Peugeot Lexia, Mercedes Xentry DAS and so on you can find on Google and costing less than 200€ are fake interfaces...

Yas

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 10:26:59 PM »
Can you wave your hands in front of the sensors until you work out which one isn't working? Might not need a fault code reader at all...

The system is disabled, if one doesn't work, none of them will work.

Yas

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2023, 10:33:50 PM »
Tools and softwares.
https://www.amazon.it/iLC-Wireless-Lettore-Scansione-Strumento/dp/B0BDRHRR22/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_w=qfy2C&content-id=amzn1.sym.81fbe0c5-695e-4b00-86b4-bbf642a39a81&pf_rd_p=81fbe0c5-695e-4b00-86b4-bbf642a39a81&pf_rd_r=TB5D399HWC85SAYWGAYT&pd_rd_wg=DO11e&pd_rd_r=f26a7e54-5b7b-490f-8485-ef12af88cebf&pd_rd_i=B01NAQ2878&th=1
This is an interface used to connect the CAN-BUS line of the car (the circuit connecting all ECUs of all cars Euro3 and later) with an external reader, using a cheap tool like this you could theoretically read all parameters, all error codes of your car and modify all settings. Now, free softwares can read public obd codes, public parameters and a limited list of proprietary codes of some manufacturer: problem,  every manufacturer set a huge list of proprietary codes that can be read ONLY by the proprietary software, and usually the proprietary software "wants" a specific proprietary interface. So, if you need to know the engine cooling liquid temperature of your Jazz, you can buy a cheap interface, install the Torque Lite software on your android or IOS device, connect your device with the interface and read this value. But if you want tho know the intake camshaft angle set by the i-VTEC system or if you want to change the way your headlights turn back to automatic mode after a flashing, you need the Honda HDS software and this software will check if you are using the proper Honda interface. Obviously, software and interface will cost hundreds or thousands of euros...
But there is an escape way, a little bit illegal... The proprietary sofware, downloaded from some servers, can be cheated using some "fake" interfaces, so it will run even on your computer. These chinese copies of original interfaces are not so cheap like the ELM327 I've posted, but they are definetly cheaper than original ones: quite all Honda HDS, Renault Can Clip, Peugeot Lexia, Mercedes Xentry DAS and so on you can find on Google and costing less than 200€ are fake interfaces...

Thank you for being so informative, you are clearly an expert.

I have a feeling even if I followed your instructions to the letter, I'd have no idea how to use it because I don't have your knowledge or expertise. I literally want a tool to tell me which sensor is not working so I can either try and make it work or replace it, in the simplest terms and it looks like I'm asking for too much sand I will have to get a pro to diagnose for at least £70

Tags:

anything