Author Topic: Acceleration Issues/Pinking on light throttle  (Read 574 times)

glenz75

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1st gen Jazz
Acceleration Issues/Pinking on light throttle
« on: February 07, 2023, 12:29:32 AM »
Hi everyone new member here  :) I've got a 2003 Jazz 5 Speed Manual with about 275,000 km's (170,000 miles) on the clock, got it from a friend who no longer needed it. But it's got a couple of issues as per the subject heading.

Here's a breakdown of what it does:

Between 1000-2000pm especially around 1500 rpm it hesitates/jerks/misses/ and seems to really play up on deceleration say for example you're slowing down for a corner or roundabout and the moment the throttle is pushed it acts up. Also notice a fair bit of pinking as well especailly under light throttle within the 1000-2000 rpm range. No pinking under moderate to full accleration. I run 98 octane petrol.

Above 2000rpm its seems to be fine, has plenty of power. Under hard throttle no problem.

Hot and cold starting is fine. I'm getting 15.6km/40mpg fuel consumption.

This issue only really starts to happen when its warmed up, seems to be fine when cold.

Idles perfectly, no misfires that I'm aware off. Car runs fine otherwise, infact I really love driving it.

No check engine lights.

All plugs have been changed, I thought it was a faulty EGR valve as the issues it has seemed to point to that, but have swapped it over and problem still exactly the same.  Its almost like there's a vaccum leak somewhere, I've checked all the hoses and everything seems to be ok. Am well aware with the high mileage and it being almost 20 years old anything is possible.

So thought I would pick the brains of the Jazz experts on here and see if anyone could give some advice on where to look next. Could it be the MAF sensor or an O2 sensor that's crook maybe?

Thanks in advance :-)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 12:32:06 AM by glenz75 »

glenz75

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2003 1st gen Jazz
Re: Acceleration Issues/Pinking on light throttle
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 11:20:02 PM »
Just an update on this if anyone is interested, I did some more reading on here and as a test I unplugged the EGR valve - all problems gone. So the EGR valve I got is either faulty or those EGR gallery's on the inlet manifold could be blocked. Been driving it for 2 weeks with the valve disconnected and the car has never driven so well and has improved fuel mileage.

Tags: