Author Topic: Wind/whistling sound when over 20mph  (Read 687 times)

Annastesia

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3
Wind/whistling sound when over 20mph
« on: February 06, 2023, 11:08:11 PM »
Hello,

I've had a jazz 2019 for a year now and had first MOT in November (all clear). 6500 mileage. Automatic.

I've noticed a windy/whistling sound that's more prominent from the driving seat area.

This only starts when I drive over 20mph. It isn't constant but comes and goes when over this speed.
It is not only when pushing the accelerator down, so it's more to do with the speed itself.

It stops when it goes below 20mph.
And also sounds louder when the window is down.

All my fluid levels are within the correct zone, but my coolant is just above the minimum mark.

I've heard of putting masking tape around certain areas but would anyone suggest anything else, or should I just play it safe as get it checked at a garage?

I'm not savvy enough to check and prod anything in case I break something
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:57:00 PM by Annastesia »

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: Wind/whistling sound when over 20mph
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 08:27:47 AM »
I get this on our 1.5 Sport as well.

Most prominent when at dual carriageway speeds.
I folded the mirrors in and it changed so I think it may just be air turbulence caused by the mirrors.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 11:09:31 AM »
Does sound like wind whistling around the mirror.

A previous owner may have fitted a replacement mirror glass. After- market ones are not always a perfect fit.
They clip into the mirror housing  sometimes requiring a fairly firm press , which takes a bit of courage for fear of breaking the mirror.  It might be the correct glass but not fully clipped into position. 
First step is to carefully  compare the passenger and  drivers  mirror glass to see if there is any noticeable difference in how good a fit they are into the housing.   If they both look about the same  everything is probably ok.    Sometimes  they will differ in detail even with original glass. . One may be flat glass and the other have a bit of a curve for instance.

Also check the rubber seals in the door openings to see if any have come adrift from their fixings, or unglued. Or unduly damaged or flattened.   Again compare one side with the other. Drivers side tends to get a bit more wear and tear.
But as stated a bit of noise may be normal.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 11:23:35 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Annastesia

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.3
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 12:09:58 PM »
OMG, thank you both so much!

Yes, I've just retracted the wing mirror in motion and that's where the whistling is coming from.

Thanks so much again, you have just saved me money too as I was about to visit garage for a check up.
 :)

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 02:26:56 PM »
Glad to help.
Pity the design engineers didn't spend more time in the wind tunnel perhaps?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 02:38:28 PM »
I don't know your model of Jazz in detail but there was a similar problem on the 2006 Civic that turned out to be a badly fitted plastic panel that sat just in front of the mirrors.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything