Author Topic: 2013 Jazz Es+ Cvt I-Shift Auto 7 gears - is this a contradition?  (Read 775 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Hi, I have seen above car advertised, but is it a contradiction? I thought cvt auto with 7 gears was just that - I thought the ishift was completely different model? I am more than likely getting my auto engines confused.

I have read stories of the ishift automatic being a nightmare, jerky, and when used manual mode/paddle shift that acceleration not match the gear chose. Also, it can take a moment to make its mind up!

Or was this on earlier models and hopefully, problems dealt with when producing 2013 onward!

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: 2013 Jazz Es+ Cvt I-Shift Auto 7 gears - is this a contradition?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 09:57:20 PM »
I-Shift was long gone by 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 10:27:59 PM »
Thank you Jim.

Reason I ask is that on vehicle history search obtained for '2013 HONDA JAZZ 1.4 i-VTEC ES Plus CVT' advertised by dealer came back with

'Manufacturer    Honda
Model            Jazz Es + I-Vtec Cvt
Model Details    I-Vtec I-Shift Auto
Transmission    CVT
No. Of Gears    7 Gears'

This is where my confusion come in.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:27:18 AM »
I don't know the details of that particular model, but the one I have (2018) has what would be described as a "CVT" in mechanical architecture terms, but instead of progressively sweeping across the full range of the variable ratio as in a true CVT it uses 7 fixed discrete positions and therefore has effectively 7 ratios.
The sensation it gives is effectively that of a conventional 7 speed gearbox, it will hold a ratio within a programmed envelope of speed/throttle (load) and will then change up/down to the next appropriate ratio as required when speed/load changes.
You can also of course operate it "manually" using the paddles, when it will show which ratio it is in and you can demand a change to the next ratio, which it will do as long as it is permitted (avoiding overspeed etc).
The exact reasoning for Honda adopting this approach is not known to me, but I can guess at the philosophy. A lot of drivers find a true CVT to be irritating in some ways, engine speed going up to a given value and essentially staying constant as the car accelerates can feel "unnatural". There may well be mechanical aspects too, being able to run the CVT drive system in fixed positions might ease wear/durability etc., but I'm guessing.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 04:25:43 AM »
The iShift is/was an automated manual with just the one clutch.

That meant the sequence was :

Cut engine power
Change gear
Return power

It was a horrible system and frequently annoyed following drivers as you would set off from say traffic lights and before you got going it would cut power to change into 2nd causing the car behind to brake if they were too close.

Also, try slow manoeuvres like parallel parking or garage parking, almost impossible as it cuts power completely when you touch the brakes. If you don't touch the brakes you are moving too fast. Result = kangarooing.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »
frequently annoyed following drivers as you would set off from say traffic lights and before you got going it would cut power to change into 2nd causing the car behind to brake if they were too close.
Surely, everyone driving a manual does that?

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 11:00:16 AM »
My Jazz = 1.4CVT ES 2012.

It is a CVT not an I Shift.

Anything produced post 2011 was CVT. Some 2011 reigstration may be IShift depending on manufacturing date.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 11:09:45 AM »
Cheers all, and thank you for explanations. Has given me confidence going ahead with jazz auto post 2012 to be safe, with cvt 7 gears.
Purely that report I obtained regards cat n mentioned 'ishift' in car model description as in original post. Not too anxious about cat n as current drive cat c which been good to us for past 6-7 years.
Looking at 1 later today or tomorrow to check accident areas, repair standard and car overall.
More replies the better, more info, more knowledge. Many thanks.

Tags:

anything