Author Topic: Skoda Fabia.  (Read 20348 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Skoda Fabia.
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2023, 07:18:05 PM »
It is now 17 days since I filled up with petrol and so far I have driven 17 miles! I have nowhere to go.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2023, 09:46:50 PM »
It is now 17 days since I filled up with petrol and so far I have driven 17 miles! I have nowhere to go.
... and plenty of time to get there!  :D

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2023, 02:40:18 PM »
Now that I have been using the car, albeit not a great deal, I realise the Parking Aid is defective. Probably one or more defective sensors. I may get round to getting something done about it but as I have only done 30 miles since buying the car before Christmas I am reluctant to splash out in case the car turns out to be a polished turd.

I have never had rear parking sensors (well I have, but I always referred to them as the bumpers) so I won't miss them.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2023, 02:56:23 PM »
I rely on my door mirrors for reversing along with the rear camera.

Parking sensors are OK if your reversing up to a wall. I've had instances on my Civics where I knew there was a post but the sensors didn't pick it up if it wasn't in quite the right place.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2023, 03:07:37 PM »
One of the works vans I used to drive had rear parking sensors and if you were reversing between parked cars (something I had to do a lot) they would go off. You never knew if someone had come up behind you or not.
As an aside, I have painted the hinge edges of my black gates and the hinge edges of the posts, white. I got the benefit for the first time today and it makes it easier in daylight and I am sure ten times easier in the dark, the reason for painting them.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2023, 03:04:20 PM »
I was out last night, after dark, for the first time since getting the car and I must say I found the headlights mediocre at best. There was nothing wrong with the beam pattern they were just not very bright (the height control was set correctly for the load in the vehicle).
I also tried the fog lights and you almost have to stand up to notice any difference. They add a bit of light to about 4 ft in front of the car. Thankfully I seldom drive after dark.

guest9236

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2023, 03:42:10 PM »
I was out last night, after dark, for the first time since getting the car and I must say I found the headlights mediocre at best. There was nothing wrong with the beam pattern they were just not very bright (the height control was set correctly for the load in the vehicle).
I also tried the fog lights and you almost have to stand up to notice any difference. They add a bit of light to about 4 ft in front of the car. Thankfully I seldom drive after dark.

It’s no good Jocko you’ll just have to go LED  ??

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2023, 04:29:42 PM »
Unfortunately .....

LED upgrade bulbs can't be classed as road legal because they cannot be E marked or have the British Standard mark. The reason that LED upgrade bulbs can't be E marked is simply because no legislation exists for the use of LED technology in a headlight unit built for halogens.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2023, 06:52:13 PM »
No thanks. I will keep the car legal. Have considered :
https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/piaa-xtreme-white-plus-h4

guest9236

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2023, 09:51:35 PM »
No thanks. I will keep the car legal. Have considered :
https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/piaa-xtreme-white-plus-h4

Look pretty impressive  will be interested in your observation should you go down that route.

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2023, 08:32:06 AM »

Jacko, have a good look at the headlamp bulbs in your Fabia, I know of a Fabia owner, the headlamps are unusual, instead of the well known two filaments per bulb, one for main, the other for dipped, VW used an electrically-powered  iris / eyelid type of  mechanism to shroud the headlamp bulb to give the main or dipped beam setting.  Examine the system to satisfy yourself the iris mechanism is functioning properly and check the correct bulbs are installed, perhaps the VW bulbs have been substituted for double filament bulbs
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:37:16 AM by E27006 »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2023, 02:39:15 PM »
have a good look at the headlamp bulbs in your Fabia, I know of a Fabia owner, the headlamps are unusual, instead of the well known two filaments per bulb, one for main, the other for dipped, VW used an electrically-powered  iris / eyelid type of  mechanism to shroud the headlamp bulb to give the main or dipped beam setting.  Examine the system to satisfy yourself the iris mechanism is functioning properly and check the correct bulbs are installed, perhaps the VW bulbs have been substituted for double filament bulbs
I posted an image of the headlight on the Skoda forum and I have been told it is the shutter variety of light unit and not very well thought of. They say I just have to live with it (there was a suggestion I eat more carrots). I don't think you can fit an H4 bulb into the unit. The car has just passed an MOT so the system should be working okay and as I said, the beam pattern is fine, just not particularly bright.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2023, 03:51:50 PM »
Get a full set of rallying lights on the front and across the roof. That'll sort you.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2023, 04:30:47 PM »

Sounds like me Jocko. This week 2 trips to the vets with poorly cat and 2 supermarket visits. 20 miles in total.

To be fair, all 4 trips would have been problematic without a car - not impossible but quite inconvenient.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2023, 07:29:57 PM »
I have to take two substantial cat boxes and equally substantial cats to the vet every six weeks to get their claws trimmed (house cats). Without a car would require a taxi and a lot of taxi drivers won't consider transporting animals (other than guide dogs), so even that could be an issue. I have now however managed to clock up 50 miles in my first month. Wow, that's only 600 miles a year!

Tags: