Author Topic: Air Bags & Vans.  (Read 1047 times)

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Air Bags & Vans.
« on: September 21, 2023, 07:07:43 PM »
Mrs W's Civic G9 has been sold, and we are now in the market for a small van to run in addtion to the wee Jazz.

You all might know this, but I've been shocked to learn that modern vans very rarely come with passenger airbags! I last had a van back in 2003, a 2000 reg LWB Transit hi-top. It only had a drivers bag as did most cars back then, so I expected that things would have moved on in 20 yrs. Apparently not.

Given the amount of safety kit that is mandated on cars, how have LCV's been allowed to slip under the radar? For example, the Citroen Berlingo in van version only has drivers air bag, yet the MPV verstion comes with all the safety kit as standard. So PSA group have chosen/been allowed to save a few Euros and compromise safety. I appreciate vans are mostly sole occupant vehicles, but given the few quid involved I'm perplexed by manufacturers lack of basic kit.

Not just the PSA group. Ford, Renault, Merc, Nissan, Fiat.....there all at it. One of the few exceptions is VW. The Caddy comes with proper safety kit as standard.

Well, it shocked and baffled me. And if you've never looked, have you seen the price of vans? Through the roof.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Air Bags & Vans.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 07:28:27 PM »
Well I have to ask. :D
What is the difference between a small van and a Jazz, with the rear seats folded down?
Surely the Jazz is an all round better bet, with passenger air bags included.  :D :D

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 09:04:27 PM »
Vehicle safety is driven by NCAP ratings. For vans, the emphasis is different to cars. See this:
https://www.thatcham.org/euro-ncap-van-safety-rating-commentary/
In particular this bit:
"Euro NCAP’s rating is focused on the performance of safety technologies that avoid or mitigate crashes.... it’s important that van drivers, and those sharing the roads with them, are protected."

In other words, passenger safety is not a priority, and therefore manufacturers don't have to do it in order to secure good NCAP ratings. So they don't.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 08:59:16 PM »
Well I have to ask. :D
What is the difference between a small van and a Jazz, with the rear seats folded down?
Surely the Jazz is an all round better bet, with passenger air bags included.  :D :D
I agree, my Jazz is a mini van. I once managed to get a 6 meter tall access tower packed in the boot of mine. I posted pictures of it somewhere on here. I got one of these in the boot !! https://brandonhirestation.com/mitower-hire - what a brilliant little motor.

We're looking at a van as a lifestyle motor. A bit of stealth camping, take our bikes etc. It's just for Mrs W and I, as our lad is 19 now never comes on journeys with us so we only need the two seats. Four airbags one would reasonably expect these days.

Vehicle safety is driven by NCAP ratings. For vans, the emphasis is different to cars. See this:
https://www.thatcham.org/euro-ncap-van-safety-rating-commentary/
In particular this bit:
"Euro NCAP’s rating is focused on the performance of safety technologies that avoid or mitigate crashes.... it’s important that van drivers, and those sharing the roads with them, are protected."

In other words, passenger safety is not a priority, and therefore manufacturers don't have to do it in order to secure good NCAP ratings. So they don't.
It's scandalous that the manufacturers have been allowed to get away with it. In our safety kit world, I'm not sure how it has slipped under the radar.

Look at all the safety stuff mandated on new cars. Collision avoidance sensors, autonomous braking, LKAS etc. Yet if it's a van, just a drivers airbag!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 07:11:16 AM »
Look at all the safety stuff mandated on new cars. Collision avoidance sensors, autonomous braking, LKAS etc. Yet if it's a van, just a drivers airbag!

Those are the kind of systems that are now being rated by NCAP, so you can expect manufacturers to pay more attention now. Remember these are designed as commercial vehicles so the emphasis is not on passenger safety. More info from Thatcham here:
https://www.smmt.co.uk/2023/09/van-collision-avoidance-new-safety-ratings/
And the actual NCAP list is here:
https://preview.thenewsmarket.com/Previews/NCAP/DocumentAssets/637596.pdf
The collision avoidance systems aren’t universally fitted, but at least this gives you an idea on models where they might be present.

Tags: