Author Topic: Immobilizer not recognizing my key  (Read 2673 times)

ciciban

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk1, 2007, 1.4
Immobilizer not recognizing my key
« on: November 16, 2022, 01:30:12 PM »
So I was on a trip in my 2007. Jazz and one morning the car wouldn't start. Green key on the instrument cluster was flashing and fuel pump did not turn on. Glad I had a spare key with me and it worked with no issues. I understand the immobilizer did not recognize the key, but my question is how common is this issue? Anyone else had it? How much did it cost to repair and was the original key re-programmed or did you buy a new key?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Immobilizer not recognizing my key
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 03:30:40 PM »
Not an issue I am aware of. Is the original key on a keyring with other keys? Have you tried it straight in the ignition without the rest of the keyring? I had a similar issue with a Volvo and it wasn't the key (passive component) but the antenna around the lock.

guest9236

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 06:57:01 PM »
If your key has a battery, perhaps it requires renewal.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 07:10:23 PM »
If your key has a battery, perhaps it requires renewal.
The battery normally only sends a signal to the remote locking. The transducer chip is passive and only gets activated from the antenna around the key barrel. The activation is picked up by the antenna and this de-activates the immobiliser.

guest9236

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 07:57:00 AM »
Wouldn’t it be nice if we simply had a key that opened doors,turned on the ignition and allowed us to just get on our way in simplicity.
Also being able to secure one’s vehicle to stop these cretins from stealing other people’s property whilst they sleep.
I remember the days when a simple switch could be inserted in line to disable the fuel pump.
We did this on our first mini, turned off switch then drove until, we stopped recorded the distance.
So if our precious little car was stolen we new how far to look for it.
No electronic wizardry required  no computers to fart arse about with. Just common sense.

I’m absolutely certain we can all remember those halcyon days petrol in gallons and it cost if I remember correctly about 2 bob a gallon, that’s 10p for our younger readers.
Please excuse the waffle but everything at the moment is so depressing surely we deserve better.

ciciban

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 09:02:22 AM »
Not an issue I am aware of. Is the original key on a keyring with other keys? Have you tried it straight in the ignition without the rest of the keyring? I had a similar issue with a Volvo and it wasn't the key (passive component) but the antenna around the lock.

It's this type of key. Spare is the same as original but works flawless. My guess is that transponder in original "lost" its code for immobiliser and needs to be re-programmed.

ciciban

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 09:04:13 AM »

It's this type of key. Spare is the same as original but works flawless. My guess is that transponder in original "lost" its code for immobiliser and needs to be re-programmed.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 09:08:55 AM »
The other possibility is if you've jump started the car with the key in the ignition.

That has been known to wipe the codes.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 09:14:19 AM »
..... 2 bob a gallon, that’s 10p for our younger readers.
Soon after I left school, in 1966, I had a job for a short time in a petrol station. At that time you could buy four gallons, (18 ltrs) for one pound. Four spark plugs cost £1. Mind you, a typical adult at that time would be earning less than £20 week.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 09:47:44 AM »
In 1970 I could fill my Mini from almost empty for £1/10s

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 10:05:11 AM »
The other possibility is if you've jump started the car with the key in the ignition.

That has been known to wipe the codes.
I think you are mistaken. You cannot jump-start a car WITHOUT the key in the ignition.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 10:09:15 AM »
I’m absolutely certain we can all remember those halcyon days petrol in gallons and it cost if I remember correctly about 2 bob a gallon, that’s 10p for our younger readers.
You must be considerably older than me and I am 74. When I first started driving at 17 petrol was 4/4d a gallon. You could buy a pint in my local for 1/10d though.
Even at 22p/gallon I still struggled to afford petrol.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 10:24:53 AM »
I didn't fully qualify

It's a known issue on the 8G Civic (2006-2011) that you must not have the key in the ignition when you attach the jump leads or it will more than likely wipe the key.

One of many posts on Civinfo :

When jump starting the car, did you leave the keys in the ignition while connecting the leads? If so, you may have wiped the programming on your keys. I did the same thing with my 2006 Civic. I don't think there's any way to start it without reprogramming. Load the car on a flat bed and take it to the stealers.

guest9236

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 05:57:19 PM »
You must be considerably older than me and I am 74. When I first started driving at 17 petrol was 4/4d a gallon. You could buy a pint in my local for 1/10d though.
Even at 22p/gallon I still struggled to afford petrol.

Hello Jocko
Yes much older 85yrs so far ?
It must be all the fresh air that I was used to  in my younger days  the MINI  I mentioned was a very early model Mr Issigonis first attempt I think.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 04:51:33 AM »
I think mine was an original design.

Floor starter button and foot operated dip switch.  Sliding windows and plastic strap interior door handles.

Plus, my latex glove mod over the distributor cap and leads to stop water ingress.

Tags: