Author Topic: Christmas present suggestions  (Read 1830 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Christmas present suggestions
« on: November 08, 2022, 03:05:32 PM »
My wife and I have reached an age where 'what do you give someone who has everything' applies.   We normally strongly hint to each other what might be welcome.     But this year neither of us even knows what we want ourselves  .  (apart from the usual boring stuff.   -Aunt Betty, that letter from me when I was 8 thanking you for the socks was my mums idea, I didnt really want them every year ) 

So guys any suggestions ?   Something you currently own , highly rate, "how did I ever manage without it, every one should have one "  type of thing .  Or  something you really want yourself. 

Any suggestions welcome, male ,female, any age (but not a pink unicorn - I already have one)   any price  , any genre  . Car related ideas and  gadgets  particularly welcome.  Take note aunt Betty. Oh  no, you cant  any more . :-[
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 03:15:46 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Christmas present suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 04:20:07 PM »
There are 2 things I've bought recently that I wish I'd bought years ago.

1 is a chop saw. The years I've been cutting wood with various saws and mitres and the chop saw does an accurate straight cut in seconds. That's your present sorted.

2 is a set of glasses with 4 powers of lenses with a built in light. The jobs I've been able to do quicker as they've been well lit.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 04:55:25 PM »
+1 for the chop saw. What a lovely piece of kit they are!

A battery drill/screwdriver is sooooo good to have. I've almost forgotten how to turn a screwdriver.

Since I was gifted a prewar Myford lathe I've wanted a milling machine as well.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:18:18 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 05:16:38 PM »

2 is a set of glasses with 4 powers of lenses with a built in light. The jobs I've been able to do quicker as they've been well lit.
Is that the JML ones for £19.99 or something more sophisticated ?.  Actually the jml ones are a contender for xmas

Heres some ideas of my own

1) a Trail camera.   I have a Browning one and discovered I had 14 foxes in my garden at one time  :o. A vixen with 13 cubs  - probably two litters. Also a hedgehog, which was a surprise. We used to get several every night but hadnt seen one for years. 

2) A bat detector.  I have a Franciz  'build your own bat detector '.   You solder some circuit boards together (fun in itself) and it fits in its own cardboard box , about the size of a video cassette.  Not  'take anywhere ' but quite robust for use at home.  £20 or so.     I detected a bat within about 30 seconds of first using it.  It also picks up some  grass hoppers etc you never knew were there as their frequency is outside human hearing.      Maybe I will look for an ultrasonic microphone  that fits to a smartphone. Can identify bats by species, but they aint cheap

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 05:27:14 PM »
I have a trail camera. It cost about £100 five years ago. I've captured some garden hedgehoggery with it but I am disappointed with the quality of the images. I advise you to try and get a good quality camera.
It has crossed my mind to set up a GoPro with a IR detector but a real GoPro is not cheap.
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 05:41:39 PM »
I have a trail camera. It cost about £100 five years ago. I've captured some garden hedgehoggery with it but I am disappointed with the quality of the images. I advise you to try and get a good quality camera.
It has crossed my mind to set up a GoPro with a IR detector but a real GoPro is not cheap.
Definitely dont buy a cheapo trail camera. I think the browning was about £160.  I did have two possibilities for wild boar and otters, but I'm reluctant to put it out somewhere public, however well hidden.Probably safe enough if I put it out in the evening and collect at dawn,  but I lack the dedication. the critters need to come to me.   :-[
https://naturespy.org/browning-camera-traps-trail-cameras/   

I had a cheapo chinese no name before that. Totally useless by comparison. When using at night, dew and condensation on the lens can be a problem.  I rigged up a photographic filter heated by a small 5 volt  peizo electric heating element, powered by a small  usb power pack .
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:54:03 PM by Lord Voltermore »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 08:20:00 PM »

2) A bat detector.   

I like a bit of bat spotting. I've heard detectors, such interesting noises they make. I couldn't tell one sort of bat from another though.  :D

One gadget I use on a daily basis and wouldn't be without is a Sandisk Clip MP3 player. Music, podcasts etc. Brilliant little devices and great for listening to whilst walking or pottering around the house. Make a great present.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 04:29:10 AM »

Is that the JML ones for £19.99 or something more sophisticated ?.  Actually the jml ones are a contender for xmas

No, I bought these before JML started advertising

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08YNGF9LZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 11:25:08 AM »
As a beekeeper I sell honey with expensive looking black and gold labels on 1lb jars. Lots of customers buy as Christmas presents.

Fbiburton

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz cvt
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 10:43:50 AM »
I love buying presents for the wife, but she never knows what to buy me lol Im not sure why. I weld, I wood carve, I love power tools.... Dewalt drill is a must. Angle grinders, new hobby is going to college learning to plaster. Even though I'm nearly 50. Pyrography I do. All these are great gifts. I'll be buying something h jazz related for her for Xmas. Thi k she's a bit down on the car as it has the shudder, as she's only had it a week

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 01:18:41 PM »
As part of the purchase package of our car I bought a Honda boot liner. It's a good pressie for the person who cleans the interior of the car.
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 03:19:05 PM »
As part of the purchase package of our car I bought a Honda boot liner. It's a good pressie for the person who cleans the interior of the car.
Thats always me, even when we had 'his and her' cars.  Pointing out that she has advanced skills in this  area was a mistake  ;) .
   A valeting kit maybe although I have never seen one where I want everything supplied and paid for.    I cant  get over the fact Halfords charge  £13 for a Meguiars branded bucket.  Just a bucket.  :o
I bought Halfords own brand  bucket for £1 (Ok quality wise thats  possibly overpriced as well )       

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 04:27:38 PM »
13 quid for a bucket you can get, as you say, from loads of places for one single squiddly.

I have the superior orange B&Q £1 ones  ;D

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 02:25:53 PM »
£13 for a Meguiars branded bucket. 
This is not just a bucket; this is a Meguiars bucket.

For those who need an explanation:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 02:28:10 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 05:01:30 PM »
Ah yes marks  and spencers.  Apparently while I was clearing up leaves in the garden yesterday, I somehow managed to buy my wife some Christmas presents  by mail order.  ;)..All I have to do is gift wrap them so its a surprise.  ;D
And before anyone says it I already have a leaf blower.  My wife agrees that leaving fallen leaves is good for insects and wildlife food chain. Only not in our garden. 

Tags:

anything