Author Topic: Relay Theft  (Read 3211 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Relay Theft
« on: October 20, 2022, 02:57:28 PM »
Sent to me from the Met :

What is the ‘relay’ car theft technique?
Thieves are now harnessing sophisticated technology that allows them to hack into your car’s computer. This means they don’t even need a key-fob to start the vehicle, and can drive it away in a matter of minutes. The most at risk are cars that use keyless fobs, as well as ‘connected cars’. In other words those basically anything with an internet-enabled infotainment system.
How does it work?
A relay attack usually involves two people working together. One stands by the target vehicle, while the other stands near the house with a device that can pick up the signal from the key fob. What’s more, some devices can pick up a signal from over 100 metres away. The device then relays the key fob’s signal directly to the car, allowing the thieves to get in and drive away immediately.
What can you do to protect your car?
One way to stop thieves getting hold of your key fob’s signal is to put it in a Faraday bag, which completely blocks any electronic signals. Unless you have one of these lying around however, the next best thing could be your fridge. However, the best deterrent is probably a good old fashioned steering wheel lock. With all the technology in the world, thieves are still likely to be put off by a solid metal bar running through the steering wheel.

So they can now start a vehicle that is 'Internet connected'
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Relay Theft
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 09:50:58 PM »

One way to stop thieves getting hold of your key fob’s signal is to put it in a Faraday bag, which completely blocks any electronic signals. Unless you have one of these lying around however, the next best thing could be your fridge. However, the best deterrent is probably a good old fashioned steering wheel lock. With all the technology in the world, thieves are still likely to be put off by a solid metal bar running through the steering wheel.

So... according to the Met you can use a Faraday bag, your fridge or a solid metal bar running through the steering wheel to protect your car from theft....
They have never heard that key-fobs can simply be switched off in a few seconds? :o
And that not any device in the world can receive a signal that isn't there?
And for those who say you can forget to switch off your key-fob my question is: When you leave your house you also forget to close the windows and you don't lock the doors? You just forget?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 03:40:23 AM »
Don't forget, the above advice is not for the latest Honda's but for all keyless vehicles and the vast majority cannot be turned off but must use a Faraday device.

I posted it because of the info that some vehicles can be stolen by interrogating the infotainment unit via it's Internet connection.

My feeling is that keyless is now very insecure and using a steering wheel lock far outweighs any speed or convenience benefit of keyless.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 07:21:50 AM »
I posted it because of the info that some vehicles can be stolen by interrogating the infotainment unit via it's Internet connection.

The posted article simply describes the well-known technique of “grabbing” the key’s signal via a relay device. There’s nothing in there to support the contention that a car can be stolen via the internet. Surely the car has to be turned on before anything can happen via the infotainment? Which needs ... a key, or a relay device. I’m no expert so I’m not saying that someone, somewhere hasn’t figured out how to do it, but is it really a real world threat?

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 07:46:00 AM »
I don't fully understand it but the "as well as ‘connected cars’. In other words those basically anything with an internet-enabled infotainment system" caught my attention.

Just posting what I was sent.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 07:56:10 AM »
I don't fully understand it but the "as well as ‘connected cars’. In other words those basically anything with an internet-enabled infotainment system" caught my attention.

Just posting what I was sent.
Yes, I noticed that too.  I don't think it applies to any Honda that I know of, but there has been a technology around for years called "Wake on LAN".  This allows any device with such a built-in facility and with power applied to it, to be booted up (switched on) remotely.  My computer, printer and Network Attached Storage (NAS) all have it.

So, potentially, there is a future issue that would need to be addressed.

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 09:38:26 AM »

So... according to the Met you can use a Faraday bag, your fridge or a solid metal bar running through the steering wheel to protect your car from theft....
They have never heard that key-fobs can simply be switched off in a few seconds? :o
And that not any device in the world can receive a signal that isn't there?
And for those who say you can forget to switch off your key-fob my question is: When you leave your house you also forget to close the windows and you don't lock the doors? You just forget?

Please explain how I turn off the key fob of my 18 reg EX Jazz in a few seconds.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 10:14:01 AM »
I think it's a MK4 Jazz feature only.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 10:35:02 AM »
Is this turning off the key to stop interception?

Reduce battery consumption by turning off radio wave reception - hold lock & unlock keys for 3 secs, LED blinks twice.
Turn on by pressing any key

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 10:27:59 PM »
Doesn't work, for me.....  :(
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 11:48:03 PM »

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 10:37:52 PM »
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2022, 04:07:29 AM »
The latest message sent by the Met says that "over 90% of car thefts in recent weeks have been keyless"

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 04:39:51 AM »
Whilst out yesterday, in a more expensive area, I noticed that a lot of owners with driveways have had security posts fitted.

I don't know how they lock in place once parked but one solution.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 10:56:30 AM »
Whilst out yesterday, in a more expensive area, I noticed that a lot of owners with driveways have had security posts fitted.

I don't know how they lock in place once parked but one solution.
I think the police advice to fit an old fashioned highly visible long bar type steering lock   is more versatile.  You can use it anywhere.  And you wont forget to  drop the post.

Driveway  posts rely on having very strong fixing into concrete etc .  I have seen many that  look like they could easily be pulled over using a tow rope (car thieves  probably wouldnt arrive on foot  ;) ) They could also damage the lock prior to the theft  so you wont be able to lock or unlock the post and may need  remove it or leave it down for a while .Or once they have the car ready to go, quickly cut the post with an angle grinder. It may deter a few  but a thief skilled enough to steal a jazz and particularly targeting one may come equipped for such inconveniences.      A quality steering lock , inside the car, will be more challenging to remove.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything