Author Topic: Jazz 2003 GD1 1.3 - Lambda oxygen sensor  (Read 976 times)

jazzyblue

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2003 1.4
Jazz 2003 GD1 1.3 - Lambda oxygen sensor
« on: October 19, 2022, 12:00:17 AM »
Hi All,
I have a Jazz 1.3 GD1 (2003)
Lately, I get the engine management light show up, the code relates to a lambda sensor fault.
How many / Where are the lambda sensors?
Are they easy to replace at home, or is it a garage job?
Help much appreciated!
Cheers :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Jazz 2003 GD1 1.3 - Lambda oxygen sensor
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 09:33:52 AM »
There are two Lambda sensors, one at either end of the cat, the code should indicate which one is causing issues. They just unplug and then unscrew.

Items 17 and 18.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:37:31 AM by Jocko »

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 03:08:46 PM »
just a note but i had both sensors replaced on my old jazz after the cat got stolen . after about a monthy the light came on . reading was number 1 lamda sensor . then the garage asked where i get my ptrol i said morrisons he layghed and gasped and said Noooooo.. my morrisons only do E10 fuel.. upon his recomendation i started to use E5 from the local tesco's as they just upgraded there forcourt. the light whent out and hasnt returned on again. he did mention pattern sensors can have a lower toloerance than the original ones and has had this problem on other cars with these new E fuels.

angusr

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk2 1.4 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 09:53:14 AM »
Hi, just a quick note on replacing lamda sensors on MK1 Jazzes, sadly this is something many owners are having to do now due to the high rate of cat thefts. In my experience, cheap sets off ebay are perfectly good for the purpose, they are only around £20 per pair. The connectors are different so it should be clear which is which. Lots of guides and videos available of how to do the downstream (rear) sensor, so no problem there. However, there is very little online on how to do the upstream (front) sensor, probably because it is quite a hassle to do. So here are a couple of notes which I hope will help you:
1) screw the sensor into the cat first. Usually requires a 22mm spanner. If you are replacing the cat, do this before you fit the cat to the car, as the threading can be tricky and a lot of hassle while under the car.
2) get to the connector from the top. The connector is fitted to a metal bracket and can be VERY difficult to get off the bracket as access is very limited.
3) To get to the connector, remove the battery and battery shelf (3 bolts). You can now see the connector low down on the back of the engine, it usually has a white cable to it from the old sensor.
4) Once you have located the connector, undo the bolt which holds the bracket on. Once you have the connector assembly free from the engine, you can see the bracket goes into one side of the connector, and the release tab is on the other side. Hold the release tab down and the connector will release. You may need to use a screwdriver to lever the connector apart.
5) with the connector apart, you now need to get the bracket out of the cable connector end. It may not come out easily. You can break this open if necessary to get it off, as you are about to replace the cable anyway. 
6) connect the new cable to the engine-side connector, then slide the bracket into the complete connector assembly, bolt the bracket back in place, and tie the new cable in to existing clips with cable ties.
7) refit the battery shelf and battery.
Job done!

therandike

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2008 CVT 61KW 83HP
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 10:32:03 AM »
Does any sensor works? if the sensor comes prewired. just remove the old one and plug into the socket. would not this work? Honda is asking for £420.00 the sensor and fitting. that is way too much. I replaced my cat system with sensor. but the front sensor always show a over voltage error. these sensors came with the plug wired up so removed the old connector with cut wires, when people took the cat they the cut the cable. so no wiring was done just took the old parts way plug the new one in

Tags: