Author Topic: Changed to summer tires  (Read 646 times)

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
Changed to summer tires
« on: March 12, 2023, 08:59:23 AM »
I just changed from winter to summer tires. In fact, I changed to my other set of wheels. And one of the things I always do is cleaning the wheels thoroughly, both front and back, before putting them in the shed for storage.

The interesting thing I noticed: after 4 months and about 4,000 km my winter wheels are still clean on the inside! With other cars they would have been all black because of braking pad dust, but for the Mk4 absolutely no dust at all! 3 showed just the light greyish paint, 1 was a tiny bit blackish. I still have to find out why there was a difference. But I am impressed. Must be good for the environment too :).

Other interesting fact: my original Honda rims show ‘made in Italy’ at the back!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Changed to summer tires
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 10:20:45 AM »
I have noticed a difference over the years.  When brake linings typically contained  asbestos, and then sintering with metal,such as copper , brake dust tended to be lighter  in colour , and possibly less in quantity,  but very dangerous to health if you breath it in.   Then for many years my cars all   tended to produce  a lot of black brake dust. Possibly less hazardous to health  ,although still better not inhaled. 

Yes I have noticed less brake dust  on the Jazz. I wonder how this affects the service life  of the pads  , and how toxic the dust is.    There is an increasing awareness of the  environmental  impact of rubber produced from tyre wear  ,so I would hope  any change in brake lining technology is also an improvement  to health and the environment. 

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 10:43:13 AM »
Electric transmission and subsequent regen levels probably account for the low level of brake dust.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 05:38:08 PM »
Electric transmission and subsequent regen levels probably account for the low level of brake dust.
[/quote

Plus rusty discs, all round, like mine!

Tags:

anything