Author Topic: D or B!  (Read 11687 times)

Topgun

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
D or B!
« on: August 03, 2022, 01:05:27 PM »
So, although I understand what the "B" setting does, I can't get my head around making it more difficult for the car to go forward, in order to charge the battery more. It seems like you're robbing Peter to pay Paul here.
However, I do wonder if anybody has done any real world testing to compare both options, to see which is more economical to use? Perhaps someone who does the same commute all the time, could do a direct comparison to see if one does have any benefit over the other?

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Re: D or B!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »
I can't get my head around making it more difficult for the car to go forward, in order to charge the battery more. It seems like you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Nope, I don't get that comment.
As far as I'm concerned B mode has a similar effect as using the engine to assist slowing when driving a manual gearbox. B doesn't make it more difficult for the engine when your foot is on the gas pedal.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 02:18:55 PM »
I agree

As far as I know, using B just increases regeneration when you ease off.

I always use B
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 02:56:19 PM »
I always use B
I use B in town and would use it all the time but I cannot use ACC in B mode
Neil Ives

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 03:24:04 PM »
Always B, except when I feel like using the ACC.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 03:24:19 PM »
No, I can't use ACC in B mode either ..... bonus :D

After early testing I use LIM instead. Suits my driving style better.

Topgun

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Mk 4
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
I see. I think I must have mis-understood this then. I thought it had some sort of retardation effect all the time, even when just driving along. Oops…

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »
In D mode there is very little retardation. Drives just like a conventional torque converter auto.

Under B mode you do need a steady foot as the engine acceleration and braking is directly connected. B mode can almost be single pedal driving except when you need to stop.

guest9814

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 05:48:49 PM »
In D mode there is very little retardation. Drives just like a conventional torque converter auto.

Under B mode you do need a steady foot as the engine acceleration and braking is directly connected. B mode can almost be single pedal driving except when you need to stop.
In D mode regen almost 1:1 with speed - when I easy off accelerator pedal at 50km/h I get 5kw back to battery but if speed is 10km/h or less almost no regen that harvests kinetic energy, B mode adds 3kw more, but regen almost all time is not what we need unless we simple using it to stop car, because some percentage of that energy lost on conversion, coasting saves more fuel.
When not gentle on accelerator pedal and B used this will increase fuel consumption, and can cause accidents with tailgater’s, in B mode stop signals not come on when accelerator pedal released !!!

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 06:02:44 PM »
and can cause accidents with tailgater’s, in B mode stop signals not come on when accelerator pedal released !!!

Rubbish

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 06:03:32 PM »
... And so it shouldn't as engine braking also doesn't induce an onslaught of brake lights  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 06:07:40 PM »
In B mode the accelerator almost becomes a speed control. I use it all the time and the need to use the brake pedal is much reduced (but still needed for heavy braking and/or stopping) and there's greater regeneration as it starts earlier. One other difference between B and D is that when going down a long hill and reaching battery full, B activates engine braking but D relies on the brakes.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest9814

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 06:08:04 PM »
and can cause accidents with tailgater’s, in B mode stop signals not come on when accelerator pedal released !!!

Rubbish
That way this working on most hybrid cars if not on all, I know only one car that lighting up stops when driver releases accelerator  pedal - Kia Soul EV.

guest9814

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 06:10:23 PM »
In B mode the accelerator almost becomes a speed control. I use it all the time and the need to use the brake pedal is much reduced (but still needed for heavy braking and/or stopping) and there's greater regeneration as it starts earlier. One other difference between B and D is that when going down a long hill and reaching battery full, B activates engine braking but D relies on the brakes.
Nope
Also in D mode engine braking used when battery reaches “100%” but less aggressive then in B mode.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 06:10:46 PM »
So you use your brakes all the time to slow down  :D :D ;D

Tags:

anything