Author Topic: Auto, learning to drive  (Read 1154 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Auto, learning to drive
« on: July 28, 2022, 09:02:19 AM »
Just out of interest.

I've seen online debates regarding driving auto cars.

What I can't find is how do the driving schools teach, one foot or two ?

I use one foot, like driving a manual, but some argue one foot per pedal is safer.
Let's be careful out there !

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
Re: Auto, learning to drive
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »
Always used left foot braking

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 10:03:22 AM »
...If you're just starting out then I guess 2 feet may be easier to learn.
As for trying it now I don't fancy whiplash tbh  ;D

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 12:02:58 PM »
I use one foot, like driving a manual, but some argue one foot per pedal is safer.

NEVER you your left foot for braking, it is highly dangerous!
I have worked in the motor industry for all of my working life and I can tell you that in general, cars are not designed for left foot braking.
Why do you suppose there is a footrest, located to the left of the footwell, to rest your left foot on?
Why would you attempt to learn to drive, differently to 99.99% of all other drivers?

There is simply no advantage in learning to drive in that manner and at least two reasons why you shouldn't.
1. Generally speaking you left foot is 'conditioned'  over many years, to push the pedal to the floor.
Can you imagine what would happen in a panic situation if you were to attempt to push the brake pedal to the floor?
2. You could easily have a situation, where again in a panic, you attempt to push both pedals at the same time, which would result in the engine is 'fighting' the brakes. not a good idea and of course not possible using just one foot!

Learning to drive an automatic car, using both feet would inevitably result in you finding it impossible to drive a manual car, should you wish to, at some point in the future.
I can't imagine any driving instructor advocating the use of both feet to drive an automatic car.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 12:26:22 PM »
I fully agree with you 100%

I'm just hoping a driving instructor can shed some light.

I've seen vehicles in front with either permanent and/or flickering brake lights and I can guess it's a left foot being rested on the brake pedal.
Let's be careful out there !

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 12:45:20 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Depends where and what you are driving and what training you have had

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 02:06:53 PM »
I never use my left foot for braking
Neil Ives

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 02:41:13 PM »
Two points of view;

1.   I'm not a driving instructor, but have tutored (As an assessed Group Observer) people up to IAM and RoADA test standard.   Both organisations taught never to use the left foot for braking.

2.   A friend who is a qualified driving instructor has confirmed this advice to me today.

I think some people read that racing drivers use both feet simultaneously and think it's a great ides in the same way some motorbike riders will cruise around town with their left hand on their knee, as they've seen racers do it after the chequered flag.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 03:03:50 PM »
After years of only driving manual cars when I first drove automatic cars I had real problems until I learnt not to use my left foot at all. Initially I had tended to react with my left foot when slowing to stop and slamming on the brakes because of being so used to having to declutch as the car stopped.

Now I have to be careful if I drive a manual car to remember to disengage the clutch.

Tags:

anything