Author Topic: Led headlights  (Read 5182 times)

Travis

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 honda jazz ex
Led headlights
« on: July 09, 2022, 04:34:55 PM »
Hi what are the LED headlights like on the jazz, do they give a good spread of light in both dipped and main beam.
Do they produce a really bright light.
Many thanks.

sportse

• Approved Member
Led headlights
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 04:37:53 PM »
Yes, good headlights with an even spread and reasonable high beam. Nice white light.

When driving on low speed unlit urban roads I may switch on the fog lights briefly when going round sharp junctions. I wish Honda had included this function as cornering lights, as the headlights are more focussed to the front.

One thing I’ve noticed is the factory seem to set the headlight aim too high, so on a new car you may be dazzling people in certain situations. I’ve had this from new in my car and also on a new crosstar loan car.

You can either have the dealer adjust the aim (or wait until they do it as part of the first service) or instead just use setting 1 on the headlight height switch as your default.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 04:40:51 PM by sportse »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Led headlights
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 05:37:27 PM »
I just use the rotary dial and have lowered mine one notch.
Let's be careful out there !

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 06:38:11 PM »
I find them excellent, and as SR owner with no front fog lamps, that they are good in mist and fog.  Getting better dipped beam was one of my priorities, as prev. Fiesta and Focus are miserable to drive at night when on dip.
Auto dip has worked well for me, and the auto on/ off also good.
Good spread of light with filled beam, lights up ditch / kerb well. And enough distance that you you are not driving further than you can see.
It is a single led, projector, with mask. Not sure how it compares to other Honda led lamps, e.g. The hr v seems to have two less per lamp, and the old, new civic has a row. Wonder if they have more 'power'?
The USA ntsa site uses headlamp beam profile as part of their safety  ratings, pity that euroncap do not do the same.

Likewise audi, Vauxhall have matrix leds that don't dip, using cameras to switch off elements that would blind the oncoming cars, so that you keep most of the main beam. This would seem ideal.

Btw, I think the mfgr of the Honda lamps are.   https://www.koito.co.jp and they have some interesting animations of the matrix type lamps.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 08:05:54 PM »
I agree that the led headlamps, are excellent. However within the radar settings is a function to detect pedestrians in unlit road situations. I was driving on a dual carriageway in January, no street lights, only doing the 50 mph speed limit, when all of a sudden the dash stated flashing a picture of a pedestrian, that I had not seen. I had not visually picked him up at all, at the time the radar did, but sure enough spotted him and drove safely around him.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 11:30:00 PM »
If nothing goes right, go left!

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 05:58:55 PM »
First drive in the dark with my new Jazz and I have a different opinion on the headlights.

Ok it was poor conditions,  dark, no street lights, no road markings and light rain, but I found the lights very disappointing. On dip beam they lacked road edge coverage and lacked range on high beam.
I know wet unlit roads are the most challenging for headlights and they would most likely be acceptable on dry roads, but in my opinion, they were worse than the lights on the Honda E and significantly worse than the lights I had on my previous BMW's and current Volvo.
I found the switch for the front fog lights which helped a touch.

Just venting a bit of disappointment after a stressful drive home.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 07:03:49 PM »
I have found them excellent. Driving on rural Lincolnshire B roads at night has never been a problem. I like the auto dip/high, which I also had on previous Renaults. The spread is good, the reach is good and the light a very bright bluish tinged luminescence.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 08:01:49 PM »
Did you try a different beam level setting?
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

FMIB

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 09:41:34 PM »
I have found them excellent. Driving on rural Lincolnshire B roads at night has never been a problem. I like the auto dip/high, which I also had on previous Renaults. The spread is good, the reach is good and the light a very bright bluish tinged luminescence.
Perhaps I need a few more night drives as I have only had a couple of night time outings so far, however on the first dry drive, i initially thought that they were ok, but not as crisp as the Honda E's, missing that bright bluish luminescence that you mention.

I don't see any settings other than the load height adjustment. 

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 10:51:13 PM »
Compared to our previous car (previous model Toyota Yaris) they are a revelation (even in wet conditions).
My daughter has had the new Yaris with LED lighting for a few months now. It's far from our Jazz, the autodip is also quite a disaster on the Yaris, works fine on our Jazz.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 11:19:15 PM »
I agree that the led headlamps, are excellent. However within the radar settings is a function to detect pedestrians in unlit road situations. I was driving on a dual carriageway in January, no street lights, only doing the 50 mph speed limit, when all of a sudden the dash stated flashing a picture of a pedestrian, that I had not seen. I had not visually picked him up at all, at the time the radar did, but sure enough spotted him and drove safely around him.

I agree that the headlamps are really good.
Didn’t know that the radar settings detected pedestrians; do I need to activate that, or is it “always on”?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 12:06:24 AM »
Our Jazz has no radar... just a wide angle camera.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 04:38:13 AM »
I agree with the later posts. My LED headlights are very good. Certainly far better than the halogen 'yellow' lights of my previous Civic.

The road illumination is better as they seem to be wider rather than older lights that seem to be directional with cutoff areas and probably why they need beam deflectors for opposite carriageway driving abroad.

I've never used the main beam as I haven't driven on unlit roads.
Let's be careful out there !

FMIB

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 07:14:00 AM »
I agree with the later posts. My LED headlights are very good. Certainly far better than the halogen 'yellow' lights of my previous Civic.

The road illumination is better as they seem to be wider rather than older lights that seem to be directional with cutoff areas and probably why they need beam deflectors for opposite carriageway driving abroad.

I've never used the main beam as I haven't driven on unlit roads.

Clearly I am in a minority on this, but my experience was specific to unlit roads, in rain on roads with no pavements or reflective white markings for the headlights to pick out.
For sure the Jazz's LED headlights are far superior to any Xenon or halogen lit cars of the past.
I don't drive much at night now and for a small car, thinking back, the lights are about on par with the LED lights I had on my wife's previous BMW 118i.
I guess I have just been spoilt by both my previous cars adaptive and shadow tech headlights where the beams tend to be a combination of both main and dipped beams together with areas of the main switched off or adjusted as needed to stop blinding oncoming cars. The big plus when following cars was the huge amount of light thrown to the left verge on unlit roads which I was missing on the Jazz

Tags:

anything