Author Topic: Fob batteries  (Read 2889 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Fob batteries
« on: December 29, 2021, 07:42:15 AM »
On my previous cars I used to change the fob batteries every 3 years.

These fobs, were totally dead until you pressed a button to lock/unlock.

I assume our fobs are constantly active looking for the car so maybe the batteries won't last as long ?
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
Re: Fob batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 09:01:31 AM »

I assume our fobs are constantly active looking for the car so maybe the batteries won't last as long ?
You can switch them off by pressing lock and unlock together for a few seconds (when out of range of the car), you get confirmation by the red LED blinking twice. After that the batteries are not being used and also it helps prevent theft if the car is parked outside. I always do it when I get home to save the batteries.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
I have my spare killed off by the 2 button trick but my 'in use' fob is just left on its hook.

I think you have a good point though, easy enough to kill and activate it.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »
(when out of range of the car)

I wasn't aware it has to be out of the range of the car.  Is that the case?

Thanks

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »
(when out of range of the car)

I wasn't aware it has to be out of the range of the car.  Is that the case?

Thanks
It's just I used to find I might unintentionally lock/unlock the car if within range

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
I disable my key when within range of the car without any problems but I start to push on the off button a fraction of a second before pushing the on button to ensure that there's no unintended unlocking.

Going back to the initial question, is the key actively looking for the car or just listening for a signal from the car to which it will then respond? I suspect the latter.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 10:38:17 AM »
I have just tried disabling my spare key, but there was no double flash of the  led.   Discovered that the whole of Voltermore 'Castle' is still within range of the car.  :-[   

I tried John Ratsey's method  but I'm not 100% sure  its disabled. 

I'd assumed the keys were the same as 'normal' cars , ie only using battery for a vhf signal when a button is pressed. But it seems the car transmits signals (presumably vhf)  and the key uses battery power to respond.

With most cars the immobiliser uses a near field  transponder chip  in the key that doesnt need battery power.  This may still be true on the Jazz. Ie if the key battery is flat and you get into the car using the emergency key blade,  you should still be able to start the car by placing the key near the start button. - and drive to the nearest battery seller.       But to be on the safe side I think I will keep a replacement  Cr2032 button battery in the glove box.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:52:12 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 10:42:44 AM »
According to the online handbook:

“Battery life is about two years, but this varies depending on regularity of use”

My previous car, a VW, had keyless. I just changed the battery every 12 months and I intend doing the same with the Honda. The batteries are inexpensive. I keep the key fob in a Faraday pouch when not in use.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 10:54:54 AM »
According to the online handbook:

Battery life is about two years, but this varies depending on regularity of use”

My previous car, a VW, had keyless. I just changed the battery every 12 months and I intend doing the same with the Honda. The batteries are inexpensive. I keep the key fob in a Faraday pouch when not in use.

Just replaced batteries on my 2012 Jazz keys for the first time in nine years.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »
On the HR-V Dealer launch evening, I asked the Honda bod if one could put the keys 'to sleep' he said "No, Hondas don't get nicked". The attending throng laughed!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
just listening for a signal from the car to which it will then respond?

That was my initial point, even listening takes battery power.

Just replaced batteries on my 2012 Jazz keys for the first time in nine years.

That was also my initial point, without keyless the batteries last longer

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 12:58:43 PM »
I have just tried disabling my spare key, but there was no double flash of the  led.   Discovered that the whole of Voltermore 'Castle' is still within range of the car.  :-[   

I tried John Ratsey's method  but I'm not 100% sure  its disabled. 

I'd assumed the keys were the same as 'normal' cars , ie only using battery for a vhf signal when a button is pressed. But it seems the car transmits signals (presumably vhf)  and the key uses battery power to respond.

With most cars the immobiliser uses a near field  transponder chip  in the key that doesnt need battery power.  This may still be true on the Jazz. Ie if the key battery is flat and you get into the car using the emergency key blade,  you should still be able to start the car by placing the key near the start button. - and drive to the nearest battery seller.       But to be on the safe side I think I will keep a replacement  Cr2032 button battery in the glove box.
You can test if the key's disabled by trying to get into the car (locked) via the drivers door handle rather than using the key button, if the key's disabled it won't let you in

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »
Hold down both buttons for longer. I think the handbook says 3 seconds but I reckon it's double that time.

On the HR-V Dealer launch evening, I asked the Honda bod if one could put the keys 'to sleep' he said "No, Hondas don't get nicked". The attending throng laughed!
When I bought my Crosstar I (who had read the handbook) demonstrated the disable feature to my Honda dealer's salesman who was unaware of it. Your comment suggests that many are still unaware. Most salespeople won't have read the handbook. They just rely on the info provided by Honda.

just listening for a signal from the car to which it will then respond?

That was my initial point, even listening takes battery power.
Yes, but listening takes a lot less power than transmitting.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2021, 02:14:46 PM »

No, they are in "stand by" in low consumption mode until they receive a signal, then they wake up and they answer yes if the signal was coming from the proper car.
The problem comes from  signals coming from other car and other devices working  in similar frequencies, this causes several awakenings even if you are away from your car. I discovered that when I keep my mobile and my fob inside the same pocket or the same bag, my wireless opening does not work and I must extract the key and press one of the buttons to re-aling key and car.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 02:27:24 PM »
I was under the impression that my old Civic fob that just had 2 buttons was using zero battery power until I pressed one of the buttons to lock or unlock.

My Jazz fob must be using some power, albeit small, as it's able to respond to the car when I get close = the batteries can't last as long ?

Tags:

anything