Author Topic: Crosstar Wheels  (Read 11624 times)

Buteday

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Crosstar Wheels
« on: October 29, 2021, 08:41:18 AM »
I am waiting to take delivery of my Crosstar.

But while I'm waiting I was looking into buying a set of wheels to fit winter tyres.

I know the 2021 Crosstar has 185/60 r16 Tyres and 16" 6J Wheels but what is proving difficult to find out is.

What is the wheel offset?

I have checked this out on wheel-size.com and it is either ET50 or ET45.

Can anyone with a Crosstar help and which it is.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
Re: Crosstar Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 10:15:13 AM »
Here you are.
Re centre bore you quoted. Are you sure you were looking at CROSSTAR?
You can find Jazz 16 inch wheels for around £400 for 4 with tyres or 15in from 1.3 2019 Jazz (same PCD and centre bore) for around £100 for 4 on EBay. I'll send in my account shortly. ;D ;D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=honda+jazz+1.3+2019+alloy+wheels+set+of+4&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=honda+jazz+1.3+2019+wheels+set+of+4&_osacat=0

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/jazz/2020/#trim-15-i-mmd-eudm-107Honda Jazz 2020 1.5 i-MMD
– Generation: GR [2020 .. 2022]
– Market: EUDM
– Power: 107 hp | 80 kW | 109 PS
– Engine: 1.5L, I4, Hybrid
– Options: SE, SR, EX, Crosstar EX
– Center Bore: 56.1 mm
– PCD: 4x100
– Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts
– Wheel Tightening Torque: 108 Nm
– Thread Size: M12 x 1.5
– Trim Production: [2020 .. 2021]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 10:34:54 AM by Karoq »
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Buteday

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 11:24:45 AM »
Hi, thanks for the info.

I didn't quote the centre bore diameter.

The ET number refers to wheel offset from centreline of wheel.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »
ET is 50 I believe

Mike 55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Crosstar EX
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 12:29:17 PM »
Do you especially need winter tyres?
I shall be buying all season tyres when my Crosstar needs new rubber.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 12:35:40 PM »
I had Michelin Cross Climates on my last car - they had the same grip at 0 degrees as normal tyres in the summer.

We didn't get any snow, but I had to drive/park in a few muddy fields and they were good there too.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 03:44:18 PM »
I had Goodyear all seasons V tread. Two got bulges (apparently G/Year have thinner side walls than most others) so I replaced with Falken V tread All seasons and they are brilliant!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 04:16:29 PM »
Only All Season tyres in Crosstar size are Falken. The 185/60 R16 are rare in Europe so choices are very limited indeed for any tyres.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 02:51:05 PM »
I had Goodyear all seasons V tread. Two got bulges (apparently G/Year have thinner side walls than most others) so I replaced with Falken V tread All seasons and they are brilliant!

EEK!   I've got Goodyear vector 4 season Gen 2 on my Yaris and have been very happy with them. I have just had a look - no bulges.  Maybe because I have the higher  88H load/speed rating version rather than 84T  .

The limited choice on  a Cross star is a pain.  Honda may have chosen an unusual size to  retain  the 185 tread width which is quieter and more fuel efficient than wider widths. But it means the rolling diameter is 2.8% different to the 185/55 R16 used on the the EX and a whopping 4% different to the 185/60R15 wheels used on the ES.  Too big a difference to interchange tyre sizes or wheels.   

Technically a Crossstar could probably  safely use the much more common 195/55/R16 which is only 1.2 % different to the  185/60/.R16. This is within  normally accepted tolerance.   But its not a size approved by Honda, which may contravene legal regulations, warranty and upset insurers .  Also I  think 6.5 J rims rather than 6J are preferred for 195 tread width. 

Things are not all  rosy for the EX either.  There is  more choice of in 185/55R16   but they are much more expensive than  185/60R15 Tyres  .   Sorry to rub it in but 16" Michelin cross climates  are about £130each in 16", but  only £90 each in 15"  ,with a bigger  choice of even cheaper options. 

For this reason 'Im looking into the possibility of buying  an extra  set 15" wheels on  185/60/R15 all season tyres for  my EX. The difference in rolling diameter is only 1.3%  to the EX  (but an unacceptable 4% different to the Crosstar ) And its a size  listed by Honda.   One advantage on Honda is I wont need to pay extra for tyre pressure monitor valves.        Or is there some problem with this arrangement that I've missed?

BTW if anyone is wondering why a change of  tyre width makes  difference to the rolling circumferance  its because the side wall profile (55,60 etc) is not a fixed measurement, its a percentage of the tyre width.  Thus 55% of 195 wide  is longer than 55% of 185 wide .
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 02:40:48 PM »
After removing the factory wheels from my Crosstar, I found that it has ET 45 mm offset and looks like made by Dicastal in China. By the way the other ET 50 is for the 15" wheels of the regular Mk4 Jazz. That being said, I've tried both 15" ET 50 and 15" ET 45 wheels (and of course the 16" ET 45 factory wheels) and they all seem to work fine on my Crosstar, although only the latter option is recommended by Honda. Sorry for the late reply.

I'm guessing maybe Honda wanted to put the ET 45 wheels on Crosstar to give it a wider track width, to make it more stable on tight turns and on the moose test. The roof bars and a heavier roof load could make the Crosstar less stable compared to a regular Jazz, so maybe the ET 45 wheels help to make the Crosstar more stable. Just a guess though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:42:57 PM by ahavoja »

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 02:48:47 PM »
I can understand our European friends in Finland, Sweden, Norway, Poland etc fitting winter tyres, but anyone in the UK... nope. I have never found a need to change tyres on any car for 'seasonal' reasons. Even the Blue earth Yokas currently fitted to my 16" are perfectly adequate snow shoes, and when these expire I will probably keep the same, or maybe switch to Falken. 

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2023, 07:57:36 PM »
I find that it’s the depth of tread that impacts on driving in snow . I never have driven a car with winter or all season tyres . In 2010 when we had lots of snow trying to go out in front tyres with 2.5mm wasn’t good . Putting on two new 8mm deep tyres meant I could drive in snow deep enough to cause snowploughing . Whatever the tyre you can’t beat thread depth !

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2023, 11:36:34 PM »
Try living somewhere with hills! Tread depth will help on fresh uncompacted snow, but is not much use otherwise. A set of 4 Winter tyres meant my Jazz mk2 could climb hills like the one to my village on roads which regular tyred 4x4 vehicles could not. I’m not kidding. I drove past a Discovery at one point.

When you live above 700ft on a steep Yorkshire hillside and your Jazz is your only vehicle, the right tyres can make a whole lot of difference. It was literally Winter tyres or stay home some days.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 09:40:36 AM »
    I once got out of a muddy field in a 2 wheel drive car  with new (summer) tyres   where a friend in a 4x4 shogun on worn tyres had to be towed out by a tractor.  But summer tyres had a bit more tread pattern back then than some do now. Tread depth is important even with winter or all season tyres. Some countries have a legal minimum of 4mm in winter even if the tyre  has the 3 peaks winter rating  .Some countries its 3mm.       Michelin claim theirs are still effective down to 1.6 mm. (but would still be illegal in those countries)  .
Many tyre experts - those keen  that sell new tyres  ;)- recommend replacing even  summer tyres at 3mm.

The new winter tyres I have bought in the past came with 9mm of tread,which helps compensate for replacing at 4mm.    New all seasons tend to have a more typical 7 -8 mm  ,maybe to reduce  tread blocks 'squirming'.  But I have owned 3 sets for a  lot of miles  and they all had very good tread wear.     If they got near 3mm I might still be able to use  them  for another summer before replacment.

But its not just their  more  aggressive tread pattern in  mud and snow.  Their different rubber compound remains  more flexible at temperatures below +7c , when summer tyres can begin to behave like solid ice hockey pucks.   

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 10:13:38 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 07:38:41 PM »
I guess it’s like a lot of things -if you don’t try it you never know how something new is better. Until reading the comments about winter tyres I haven’t thought about . Maybe my next Michelins will be different !

Tags: