Author Topic: And another thing.  (Read 2596 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: And another thing.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 06:16:17 PM »
I've never flashed anyone.

I was told that it could be used against you if something happens. If I'm letting someone out or across my bow I just stop and let them make their own decision.

Even if you flash someone, it is still their responsibility to make sure the way is clear before they pull out,  all you are telling them is 'you don't have to worry about what I am gonna do'. 

Was in a local town shopping street yesterday that has angled parking bays on one side of the street - it you drive in forwards you have to reverse out ( not really possible to reverse in because street is one way ),  a delivery lorry had parked opposite the parking bays and a car was trying to get out,  he was inching out backwards trying to see and a driving school car ( with plenty of time to stop ) squeezed through the ever narrowing gap and the guy reversing had to slam his brakes on,  I am glad that instructor is not teaching anyone in our family.  It happens a lot on supermarkets as well when people reversing out and are halfway out and some numpty drives through the narrow gap behind them, forcing them to slam brakes on - that is unforgivable -  stopping, leaving them plenty of room and a headlight flash is in order there - courtesy and consideration costs nothing.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 08:55:31 PM »
+1

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2021, 05:43:32 AM »
No 2 :

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/features/driving-offences-you-didnt-know-were-illegal/

I don't do it because it could land me in trouble if something happens.
Let's be careful out there !

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 08:18:17 AM »
I'm sure it's right that you should only flash lights to show you're there but the way it's done in practice means the opposite.

It can be risky though. For instance at the end of my street there's a T junction onto a busy 30mph road and even turning left it can take a while to get out. If cars have their headlights on there's a bump in the road that makes it look as if someone is flashing to main beam.

I presume the right thing to do if you want to let someone through is a hand gesture. I've even had police drivers do that. Of course this assumes that you can see through the windscreen. Which depends on lighting.

I also get what you might call lazy courtesy. Someone will let me out, but only indicate it by waving one finger and without taking a hand off the steering wheel.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 09:11:10 AM »
No 2 :

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/features/driving-offences-you-didnt-know-were-illegal/

I don't do it because it could land me in trouble if something happens.

I knew it would happen,  worms everywhere... :o

Just driving on the road could get you into trouble... There are so many laws ( but not much justice ) in UK that it is estimated that most people in UK break at least one or two of the myriad of laws every day.

I'm sure it's right that you should only flash lights to show you're there but the way it's done in practice means the opposite.

It can be risky though. For instance at the end of my street there's a T junction onto a busy 30mph road and even turning left it can take a while to get out. If cars have their headlights on there's a bump in the road that makes it look as if someone is flashing to main beam.

I presume the right thing to do if you want to let someone through is a hand gesture. I've even had police drivers do that. Of course this assumes that you can see through the windscreen. Which depends on lighting.

I also get what you might call lazy courtesy. Someone will let me out, but only indicate it by waving one finger and without taking a hand off the steering wheel.

Hand gestures are almost impossible to see in most lighting conditions,  especially at night.  If I want someone to know I am there I put my headlights on and leave them on, don't flash them.  An architect once said to me 'when we design things and put paths in ( the law ) people mostly don't use them and they make their own paths ( custom and practice ).  When the law conflicts with long custom that has been done almost since vehicles were equipped with headlights that could be flashed ( flashing to let people out ) and everyone understands,  then that is bad law, or law for the sake of law.  Be interesting to see the stats on accidents that were caused by flashing lights compared to say people messing with phones in vehicles.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 09:19:51 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
Back to supermarket car parks as mentioned by Culzean above. There is more rank bad driving in this location than anywhere else. It would be carnage if only for the fact that speeds are low.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »
Back to supermarket car parks as mentioned by Culzean above. There is more rank bad driving in this location than anywhere else. It would be carnage if only for the fact that speeds are low.

Speeds not so low sometimes,  during lockdowns with 'only one person please '  I drove wife to supermarket and stayed in the car, the standard of driving is poor, surprised how many people 'abandon their car' in parking spots ( on an angle, car well off centre in lines, back end sticking out etc. ) and how fast some numpties zoom down the roadways between parked cars, and as mentioned before are seemingly reluctant to help anyone trying to get out of awkward spaces...

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
My mum had a phrase for all the different numpties out there.
The " l'm all right brigade ".

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2021, 11:07:16 AM »
Given the cost of motors these days, and the fact that for many folk it's a monthly commitment, you would expect people to look after them a lot more.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2021, 11:11:39 AM »
I agree.

I don't fully understand those that have garages but leave their new £20k+ motor out for all to fiddle with.
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2021, 01:48:34 PM »
Yes, in my locality, all the houses have garages, but most are full of junk and the car is left outside, in all weathers
I must be the the only one within perhaps 100 Mtr who actually puts the in the garage, every night.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 03:57:07 PM »
I agree.

I don't fully understand those that have garages but leave their new £20k+ motor out for all to fiddle with.

The problem is that many garages are too small for modern cars.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 04:21:11 PM »
I agree.

More important to keep motorbikes in the garage - they are a lot easier to steal than cars ( can be lifted into back of a van ) and not as waterproof,  and did I also mention more fun  :D

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2021, 04:57:49 PM »
Have we dealt with all the cars out there that have broken speedo's!
Or the people who have to move to the right before turning left! and then there's the ones coming towards you who can't stay their side of the white line.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2021, 05:52:31 PM »
I agree.

That's very true. Some driveways as well.

Tags:

anything