Author Topic: And another thing.  (Read 2576 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: And another thing.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
I agree.

I don't fully understand those that have garages but leave their new £20k+ motor out for all to fiddle with.

The problem is that many garages are too small for modern cars.

That's very true. Some driveways as well.

Most of the new homes being built in our area have no attached parking space,  just a designated parking spot or two in a communal area away from the house,  great for EV owners  :-[
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2021, 06:42:42 PM »
My new house has a huge garage but it was long ago converted into a workshop/potting shed. The drive however has room for two cars, three at a squeeze.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2021, 08:21:35 PM »
There is also a trend round here for drivers to use the left lane round roundabouts regardless of how many exits they are passing. All well and good until you are the one in the right lane taking the 3rd exit and someone is sitting to your left intent on carrying on round, often using the left lane as an opportunity to overtake.

I take you mean they are turning right from the left lane?

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2021, 08:37:33 PM »
A new habit that seems to be creeping in are drivers going right on a roundabout who, not only do they not signal their intention to leave the roundabout but they don't even cancel their indicator (why should I, the car will do it for me?).
You are waiting to join at their off route and because they are signalling you think they are continuing round. Then they come off with their right indicator still flashing. Some suddenly realise you are waiting and as they turn off they cancel their indicator. Too late, swine.
I always cancel my indicator at the previous route, as soon as there is no doubt I am continuing round, then signal my intention to leave as soon as I am abeam the previous route. Maybe I was just taught right.

I've noticed drivers doing this when going straight on. You stop thinking they are turning right but they don't.

Also...

There is a roundabout near me where some drivers approach in the left lane to take the third exit (correct), but then dive into the right hand lane on the roundabout to cut the corner (bad) and get caught out if the pedestrian crossing right after the exit of the roundabout is on red, and traffic starts to queue up on their nearside.

And drivers about to exit the roundabout stopping on the roundabout to let pedestrians cross.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »
Yes, in my locality, all the houses have garages, but most are full of junk and the car is left outside, in all weathers
I must be the the only one within perhaps 100 Mtr who actually puts the in the garage, every night.

Garages can be worse for corrosion than leaving car outside, cars 'sweat' in a garage if put in wet as the humidity is high, outside the rain will wash them with nice pure water and the wind will blow them dry... ( that's how our cars get cleaned ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2021, 09:23:21 PM »
We have several roundabouts where a light-controlled crossing is within 25 metres of the roundabout causing traffic to stop back onto the roundabout. It is not always the driver's fault as you could be in a line of moving traffic when the car at the front has to stop. Whoever thought this configuration up in the first place wants shooting. The number of times the car in front moves off, I check right then start to follow, then I suddenly have to slam on the anchors because he has been halted by the light changing. Stupid arrangement.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
Most of the new homes being built in our area have no attached parking space,  just a designated parking spot or two in a communal area away from the house,  great for EV owners  :-[

I used to live on a new build estate (built in 2012) until three and half years ago. My parking and garage were opposite the house but too far away for the garage to have any power. And to get to and from my front door you had to use a path shared with my neighbour, so if they ever get an EV they would have to trail the cable accross this path.

The eldery lady who lived accross the road only had a garage in a block as her 'parking', and it was positioned at right angles to the next block of garages, so if their neighbour parked in front of their own garage (which they did) she could'nt even open her garage door. When she bought the property off-plan her garage was originally to the other side of the property attached to another neighbour's garage, but was moved to the block of garages behind her property later on. In the end she purchased the visitors space (that ironically was directly in front of her front door) off the developer.

Tags:

anything