Author Topic: Initial delay in starting off  (Read 2856 times)

NewJazzyowner

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 Jazz HybridHX-T
Initial delay in starting off
« on: March 29, 2021, 11:25:54 PM »
Hi all. My 2012 Hybrid has 62k miles on the clock. I’ve had it 3 yrs and changed the oil and filter each year despite only 5k miles 2018-19, 4K miles 2019-20 (and so far 1800 miles July 20-now). I had the CVT oil and filter/pump changed in 2019. Oils are genuine green engine oil and Honda CVT.

When starting from cold I’m noticing more now that the gearbox takes a couple of seconds before I get any go and it’s hard, nigh on impossible to start off smoothly without a jolt. Once running the changes are fine and the car goes well. It just that first start after putting it into drive. Is this indicative of something in particular needing attention? It’s really irritating. Grateful for any suggestions. I’m obviously thinking of another CVT oil change as it’s 2 yrs since the last change (but only 6.5-7k miles). Thanks

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Initial delay in starting off
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:03:26 AM »
Normally, with oil changes, they talk about miles or years, Whichever comes first. It could just be the fact the car has been standing so long (I've done that mileage since January), but another CVT oil change would do no harm.

NewJazzyowner

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »
Having looked on the Honda fixed price servicing list it seems Honda charge around £90 for the CVT oil change, so thinking I may take it to a main dealer to find out if them changing it makes a difference. Or am I hoping too much?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:02:18 PM »
You have to buy the genuine Honda fluid anyway, and it is not cheap, so £90 for not getting your hands dirty, and piece of mind, is not too steep a price to pay.

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 08:53:35 PM »
Just a thought, is the handbrake sticking, you release the brake but maybe the pads are sticking to the rear discs??

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 07:21:31 AM »
Just a thought, is the handbrake sticking, you release the brake but maybe the pads are sticking to the rear discs??
That's a possibility. Though I usually find it gives a loud "clunk" as the pads unstick. If feasible, you can always try parking the car with the handbrake off (flat garage or drive).

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 07:37:28 AM »
I find after washing the car and I accidentally put the handbrake on the pads do stick. Discs going orange from the wash.

I always just leave my auto in P in the garage.
Let's be careful out there !

NewJazzyowner

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 11:32:48 PM »
Thanks guys. Jocko they are my thoughts too regarding cost of fluid and the dealer doing the work.

I’m pretty certain it is not a brake issue as it is not a ‘drag’ feeling and sudden release (with the associated sound from the discs), it’s more like the auto box fluid getting up to pressure before I can move off.

Tags:

anything