Author Topic: 6 month extension for MOTs  (Read 3368 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: 6 month extension for MOTs
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2020, 08:56:10 PM »
Some cars are completely unroadworthy after 12 months, never mind 18. It is all very well stopping the extension, I am surprised they haven't already done so, but if you are shielding it was not possible to get the MOT renewed.
Back in the '60s, when the time before the first MoT test was being reduced, Flanders & Swann commented on one of their records (I can't remember which) that the first MoT test should be done when the vehicles emerged from the factory! That got a good chuckle from the audience who shared the experience that most vehicles seemed to be put together on Friday afternoons and the first few months of ownership were spent in fixing problems.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2020, 11:20:04 PM »
A mate of mine bought a brand new Datsun 120Y (remember them).

At its first MOT, it needed a fortune spent on welding, and at its second it went to the scrapyard, with 15,000 miles on the clock!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2020, 11:03:05 AM »
A mate of mine bought a brand new Datsun 120Y (remember them).

At its first MOT, it needed a fortune spent on welding, and at its second it went to the scrapyard, with 15,000 miles on the clock!

The earlier Jap cars had very little in the way of underseal and anti-corrosion - simply because they do not use salt on the roads in Japan or most of Asia. Mind you a lot of cars made in Britain around that time also needed welding and sills replacing quite early in their life --- I remember Zeibart treatment      https://www.ziebartworld.com/index.php/en/service/rust-protection   was the thing to have done to your new vehicle if you wanted it to last past its first MOT without chassis or bodywork repairs...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: