Author Topic: 6 month extension for MOTs  (Read 3358 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
6 month extension for MOTs
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:14:02 AM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 6 month extension for MOTs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:19:39 AM »

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 10:23:05 AM »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:48:48 AM »
Drivers are still required to keep their cars in a roadworthy condition and I would imagine there will be spot checks on cars shown to be in the extension period.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 12:22:45 AM »
One other unintended consequence of this, assuming things might be back to normal in October, will be that everybody's subsequent MOTs will then fall between October and March.

I'm not sure that MOT garages will be chuffed about being out of work over spring and summer, and overwhelmed over winter...

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 08:40:36 AM »
One other unintended consequence of this, assuming things might be back to normal in October, will be that everybody's subsequent MOTs will then fall between October and March.

I'm not sure that MOT garages will be chuffed about being out of work over spring and summer, and overwhelmed over winter...
The fix for the long-term problem will be to issue MOT certificates which expire when they would have under normal testing. However, the testers will still be extremely busy once the current lockdown is eased.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 09:02:15 AM »
If they keep giving out the extensions for  whole year then work load on mot testers will balance out, can't imagine they will allow this however.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 09:18:42 AM »
If they keep giving out the extensions for  whole year then work load on mot testers will balance out, can't imagine they will allow this however.

It will, but I always work all my tests around so they fall in the summer months when the weather is decent. All our cars MOTs will be extended into winter, my main car will be due in January now!

The fix for the long-term problem will be to issue MOT certificates which expire when they would have under normal testing. However, the testers will still be extremely busy once the current lockdown is eased.

I can't see people being keen on being issued 6 month MOTs either  :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 10:04:39 AM »
The station I use does HGV MOTs so if they are open I will just get mine done when it is due. Most MOT stations will still be open. I believe the government plan is for if you CANNOT get an MOT.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 12:39:42 PM »
The station I use does HGV MOTs so if they are open I will just get mine done when it is due. Most MOT stations will still be open. I believe the government plan is for if you CANNOT get an MOT.

Of course you can get an MOT early, but all MOT expiry dates between April and September inclusive are being extended automatically, in order of date.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 01:11:33 PM »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »
If you just go to     https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/    website and put in reg number it will tell you when the expiry date of MOT is, just done my motorbike ( MOT was due to expire on 6 May ) and expiry date is now 6 Nov. 

If your MOT has not been automatically extended ( update only happens 3 days before it was normally due to expire ) you need to tell them to update their database or you could get picked up on Police ANPR kit as having no MOT. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 03:19:45 PM »
Copied and pasted from the DVSA website moments ago.

"How the 6-month extension works
Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it’s eligible. This will be done about 7 days before it’s due to expire."

Vic.

sparky Paul

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »

Your vehicle’s MOT expiry date will be automatically extended by 6 months if it’s eligible. This will be done about 7 days before it’s due to expire."

Vic.

As Culzean says, it's generally happening around 3/4 days before it's due, an case anyone was getting twitchy.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »

Vic.

As Culzean says, it's generally happening around 3/4 days before it's due, an case anyone was getting twitchy.

Maybe they are making sure that you are not going to MOT your vehicle before extending it automatically ( our local MOT stations are still open, and I would have had the motorbike done but their motorbike tester was off work - and was not due back till after mine expired ). They aim for 7 days but here is a quote from the link I made in an earlier post on this thread.  Maybe they are allowing for delays in their system...

1.   Three days before your MOT was originally due to expire, check the expiry date has been extended.

2.   If the expiry date has not been extended 3 days before it was due to expire, email covid19mot@dvsa.gov.uk

You need to include these details in the email:

the date your MOT expired
        your vehicle registration number (number plate)

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency will then:

update your vehicle’s record
        email you to tell you this has been done

[/list]
    « Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:24:41 AM by culzean »

Tags:

anything