Author Topic: Urban average speed cameras.  (Read 1468 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Urban average speed cameras.
« on: September 04, 2019, 02:08:50 PM »
Edinburgh installed Scotland's first Urban Average Speed Camera, back in 2017. Before the cameras, three in every five cars were speeding on the road, now it is, on average, only two offences recorded per day. As a result they are looking at installing average speed cameras at another 25 sites, round the city.
Old Dalkeith Road is one of the busiest feeder routes into the city, linking the Sheriffhall roundabout (City Bypass, A7, A68), with the city centre.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49580270

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Urban average speed cameras.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »
Personally I'm all for them.  As long as the speed limit is a sensible one.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »
We have had average speed cameras in Lincolnshire for a few years. What are springing up in ever increasing numbers are digital speed cameras that look like average speed cameras but are only in single units. Average speed cameras require at least two cameras to record and average out the speed.
The new digital cameras are sometimes harder to spot as they are higher off the ground and not always on yellow poles.They can record speed in either direction and do not need downloading as the results are transmitted continuously to a base station.
Here they are called 'Stealth'cameras and do not always have advanced warning signs.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »
We have had many average speed cameras is Scotland, for a number of years. The Forth Road Bridge had them for the duration of the building of the Queensferry Crossing. The A9 has long sections of average speed cameras, linked by short lengths of dual carriageway to permit overtaking.
The average speed cameras in Edinburgh are unusual in that they are in an urban, built up area.
Personally, I don't have a problem with speed cameras, "Stealth" or otherwise. We have loads of Camera van sites round here and people regularly get "booked" by them.
If you don't speed you don't risk a speeding ticket.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:52:49 PM »
A point to take on board with these new digital cameras is that they are not just above your eyeline when driving, about twelve feet above ground and painted yellow. They are at the top of twenty five feet poles and are very small although they are yellow.
The old style cameras were more easily seen and may just catch your attention if, as happens to most of us from time to time, your attention is not what it might be.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
These are the ones they have around here.

I pass that one three or four times a week, and it is no longer under test!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 12:07:32 PM »
Lots of the new type have sprung up around here, it's difficult to get in or out of the local town without encountering a set. All have come with a reduction in speed limit to 50, and on some of the best roads in the area.

I wonder how much time people spend glancing down at their speedo between the cameras, and particularly at the start when they are adjusting their speed?

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 03:47:43 PM »
Its just the start for today's motorists to contribute to the E vehicle evolution.....

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 05:09:47 PM »
Its just the start for today's motorists to contribute to the E vehicle evolution.....
Sorry. I don't follow.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
Speed Awareness course for me on Friday due to a lack of attention. I must have driven 30 miles across quiet country roads in Yorkshire at 40 mph or less as no rush and a nice journey, only to wander into a random 30mph limit in the middle of nowhere with a camera. I was still doing 37mph unaware of the speed limit change until I saw the flash.

I think the road must be a rush hour rat run between York and Harrogate or something as I can't figure out why there's a camera and a 30mph limit in that location.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
At least you are getting the chance of the speed awareness course. Not everywhere does that.
There is a section of open road near me which had a 40 mph limit placed on it, after a young girl was killed playing chicken with her mates. So there could be all manner of reasons why that limit was there.

Tags:

anything