Author Topic: Which parts usually fail on a Honda Jazz Mk1?  (Read 4362 times)

David_B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
Which parts usually fail on a Honda Jazz Mk1?
« on: May 04, 2019, 11:03:02 AM »
Hi guys, I am the proud new owner of a Honda Jazz Mk1, well maintained with 100k miles on the clock.

After I bought it the clutch went, which is expected for the ages, and during the work on the clutch, they also changed the "rear crank seal".

My question is, how often does this crank seal normally fail and need replacing?

And what other components normally fail on a honda jazz with normal wear and tear?

The car has no cam belt so that's a plus. Just want to be prepared for any future wear and tear failures.

Fortunately I was able to diagnose the clutch issue myself. When I bought it, the biting point didnt move the car at all, and eventually I got clutch slippage, i.e. the car would drop out of gear and give high revs whilst driving when I attempted to get a decent torque.

Now with the new clutch it drives beautifully and I am very happy with my purchase.

The person I bought the car off even gave me £100 towards the clutch as they didnt want me unhappy with a failure straighter after purchase, although I do genuinely believe it was just time for the clutch to fail and not an attempt to sell on a dodgey car.

100k miles with no clutch change means it would have needed one sooner or later anyway, but with some good quality driving hopefully I'll get another 100k miles out of it now.

toojazzy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 SE Sport cvt automatic
Re: Which parts usually fail on a Honda Jazz Mk1?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
Hi owned our no 1 jazz for over a year and for us no major faults although I’m sure others have had them for much longer.

However we are having the similar issue with the clutch. Out of interest if you don’t mind saying how much was the clutch replacement?

Only other faults we’ve had is electric sunroof not working and rear parking sensors going a bit dodgy otherwise it’s a beast of a family car for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toojazzy

• Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »
Hi owned our no 1 jazz for over a year and for us no major faults although I’m sure others have had them for much longer.

However we are having the similar issue with the clutch. Out of interest if you don’t mind saying how much was the clutch replacement?

Only other faults we’ve had is electric sunroof not working and rear parking sensors going a bit dodgy otherwise it’s a beast of a family car for us

toojazzy

• Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 11:13:03 AM »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 11:50:07 AM »
After I bought it the clutch went, which is expected for the ages, and during the work on the clutch, they also changed the "rear crank seal".

My question is, how often does this crank seal normally fail and need replacing?

Crankshaft seal is just one of those things, they can last the life of the car, or they can just go anytime. It's possible that this was the cause of the clutch failure, engine oil from the crank seal contaminating the clutch friction material.

As for other common problems, the Jazz is, on the whole, a very reliable car.

There are a few unusual things which crop up very occasionally that can get expensive, failure of the ABS modulator, electric power steering rack issues, and gearbox input shaft bearings. I understand a new ABS modulator is £1400 from Honda, but the failed units can be repaired much more reasonably. There's also a few interesting threads on here regarding stiff steering and gearbox bearing failures.

There are also a few problems which crop up now and again which are much cheaper to rectify, such as rear wheel bearings, anti-roll bar droplinks and water ingress through the roof seams at the back.

Apart from what you would consider 'consumable parts', I don't think there is much else that goes wrong.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:26:55 PM by sparky Paul »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »

A complete 3 part clutch kit is about £60 for a cheapo, but spend £80 for a decent brand such as LuK. Find a decent small local independent from personal recommendations, labour should add around £150-£250 to that price, depending upon the going rates locally. Avoid the big name fast-fit outfits, they will fit the cheapest parts and charge you near main dealer prices.

The OP would have had to have his flywheel removed to replace the crank seal, so this would have added a bit of labour cost.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »
My Mk 1 56 plate 1.2 DSi has done just over 113,000 miles. In the 3 years I have owned it I have done 26,000 miles. I had to replace the gearbox input bearing just over a years ago, but apart from that I replaced the exhaust, tyres, a suspension wishbone, and a drop link. Other than that I have had it serviced as I deemed necessary. The number beside my avatar shows the average mpg during my ownership. Currently stands at 54.1 mpg.
It has been a great little car. Goes if you push it, relaxed if you don't. Nothing like as comfortable as the Volvo it replaced, but for twice the mpg I will put up with that!

Brendan976

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 1 Gd 2004,dsi cvt 1.4
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
That's about the same amount of repairs that I have done on my cvt in the last 15 years of ownership. Other that the cvt clutch judder repaired under the 7 years extended warranty. Also the recent abs replacement motor, and the repair of the abs motor to use as a spare.
Ben

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4l Honda Jazz 2013 Toffee Apple Red - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »
Ive owned one since xmas 2017 and so far ive done the following.

upgrades
------------
4 quality matching tyres
working radio
remote lock/unlock

repairs
--------
sanded and polished headlights
new exhaust
new clutch
new front shocks and mounts
oil change and transmission fluid change
new rear brake discs and pads
8 new spark plugs

I suspect if the roads were actually maintained a few of those wouldnt have been needed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:25:54 PM by smilertoo »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 03:47:12 PM »
I suspect if the roads were actually maintained a few of those wouldnt have been needed.
Same here. I have to use a road, twice a day, with the worst speed bumps ever. Even at 10 mph I can feel and hear them wrecking my suspension.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 07:58:16 PM »
Pot hole cost us a tyre on the Jazz, so it can't be doing the suspension any good.

Cost a neighbour two (nearly brand new) tyres on one side and a damaged alloy when he hit a water filled hole last autumn, looked like a puddle... and that was in a Land Rover Discovery.

David_B

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 09:51:07 AM »
My clutch replacement was £200 including component and labor cost.

I told them how cheap this was and that I would be returning again, and then they added on £30 for the seal replacement lol, so not sure if they wanted to try add a bit more money onto my bill after realising I would have paid a bit more, or it genuinely needed replacing. How much does the component cost?

Given I had 100k miles on the clock with no clutch replacement, I was happy fine with this needing to be changed.

The ABS already failed and was replaced by the previous owner, and they maintained it very well. Always taking it to the dealers for maintenence, and keeping all receipts etc. They owned it most of its lifetime, one owner had it a few years before.

I bought the car itself for £1000 but they took off £100 towards the clutch so now it's £900.

It drives nice, taken it up and down the motor way for 2 and 3 hours drives at least 7 times now plus city driving, its serving me very well so far.

Only issues, steering wheel is making a creaking noise when I turn it full lock, and another sort of mechanical creaking noise from the bottom of the car that the car mechanics cant figure out what it is.

These two noises have been there for a few years and the previous owner informed me during the viewing.

I think the steering creak comes from the rubber turret under the bonnet, which looks like its gotten a bit stiff.

Not sure about the other sound coming from under the car but urban and motorway drives haven't shown any major issue.

Didn't even know there were sun roof versions or ones without remote locking and working radios. Mine came with those two but no sun roof. Its a decent silver one, manual transmission. Hoping to keep it long term hopefully and look after it well

AAA
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 09:26:12 PM by David_B »

Darryl

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2005 Honda Jazz 1.4SE
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
Hi what year is it?

If you need to replace the strut top mount it's a very straightforward , quick job. :D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 10:32:09 AM »
The S doesn't have remote locking, Air Con or rear speakers. Rear windows are manual wind too, but as no one is ever in the back, it doesn't cause me a problem.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
My clutch replacement was £200 including component and labor cost.

I told them how cheap this was and that I would be returning again, and then they added on £30 for the seal replacement lol, so not sure if they wanted to try add a bit more money onto my bill after realising I would have paid a bit more, or it genuinely needed replacing. How much does the component cost?

The crank seals usually cost around £8-£10. £30 added to the cost of the clutch is a fair price to take the flywheel off and replace the seal, they certainly haven't robbed you for that or the clutch replacement. Around £200-250 is what I would expect to pay around here, but members in more urban areas might pay more. The previous owner of ours had a clutch replaced at 113,000 miles, and there's a Halfords invoice here for the job for £474!

The ABS already failed and was replaced by the previous owner, and they maintained it very well. Always taking it to the dealers for maintenence, and keeping all receipts etc. They owned it most of its lifetime, one owner had it a few years before.

Ours came with a box file full of receipts too, lovely!

Only issues, steering wheel is making a creaking noise when I turn it full lock, and another sort of mechanical creaking noise from the bottom of the car that the car mechanics cant figure out what it is.

These two noises have been there for a few years and the previous owner informed me during the viewing.

Could be a stiff strut top bearing, as they say, let it develop. The noise from the bottom maybe a ball joint, same again really.

It sounds like you have found a nice genuine car.

Tags:

anything