Author Topic: New shock absorber  (Read 1953 times)

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4l Honda Jazz 2013 Toffee Apple Red - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
New shock absorber
« on: April 09, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
I had my right side shock absorber and mount changed last friday after the mount gave way and the shock got damaged, the garage suggested the other side was fine so it wasn't changed. The car is now very creaky and doesn't seem to handle as well, is the poorer handling my imagination or should the other side have been changed even if it wasnt actually damaged...this is a 2004 jazz with 108k miles and they might never have been changed before. I didn't automatically get both changed as i planned to upgrade to a mk2 soon but i can't be selling this if it's potentially dangerous no matter what the garage claim.

Is it safe to leave it as is since the Jazz isn't exactly a performance car?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 10:44:33 PM by smilertoo »

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: New shock absorber
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »
As far as I'm aware shocks either work or they dont, so they don't need to be changed in pairs, garage will only be looking at whether it'll pass an mot or not, which it probably will, from a financial point of view its probably not worth spending on it as you won't get much back when selling, I've got my 2003 Jazz's insured value at about £600 I think. The creaking might stop when the new parts have needed in.
This is just my opinion, lots of people change them in pairs, can't argue with them really, personal choice.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
Shocks like most suspension and brake components must be replaced in pairs to ensure balance across the axle, hence why you are having handling issues etc......

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:08:58 AM »
I pretty much agree that shocks either work or don't (not quite the case but near enough). However there are shocks and shocks. If your car had stiff shocks, and one failed, then you replaced it with a softer shock, you could experience issues. Now, in an ideal world, shocks for a Mk 1 Jazz would all be the same but there can, unfortunately, be a wide range from OEM to cheap imports. That is why it is best to replace them in pairs. Two cheap ones are better that one OEM and one cheap one, if you get my drift (which could be the consequence of dodgy shocks!).

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 10:46:33 AM »
Changing a shock absorber and mount shouldn't make anything 'creaky'. Can you tell which side it's coming from?

It is preferable to change shock absorbers and springs in axle pairs, but most garages are happy to do one side. One new spring can make the ride height uneven, and aftermarket types can be stiffer or weaker, or of a simpler design than OEM. A new shock absorber with a very old tired one can affect handling, but you have to use your common sense. If a pair of shockers have been on a car for 10+ years, they're probably both ready anyway. All other suspension components can safely be replaced singly as required.

As for brakes, it's absolutely essential to fit matched pairs of pads and discs - mixing brake rotors and friction materials can get you into all sorts of bother. Many years ago, a motor factor supplied me with a pair of new, but two different manufacturer's discs for a Renault 5, they were the only pair he had on stock. I fitted them with a set of matched pads, but couldn't stop the damn thing from corkscrewing under really heavy braking. The thing was downright dangerous and it took me a while to twig what the problem was, after I had stripped and resealed both calipers and replaced the master cylinder. In desperation, I replaced the odd discs and it fixed the problem, I never made that mistake again.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 02:50:23 PM »
creaks seem to the whole car, im wondering if its trying to correct itself after one side being about 4 inches lower for a few days.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
Check inboard anti-roll bar bushes, see if any have split due to the arb twisting. There's not much else that could be affected by the uneven loading.

If the creaking is evident while the car is stood, enlist the help of an assistant to make sure it isn't coming from the new top mount and bearing - they can be fitted incorrectly, fouling the bearing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »
after one side being about 4 inches lower for a few days.
A shock absorber will not effect the ride height. Only the springs have any effect on that. I removed a shocker from an old SAAB I was scrapping, to fit to the replacement. The ride height did not change. Mind you, the drive to the scrappies was interesting. No matter how shot a shocker is, it is much better than none at all!!!

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 04:35:38 PM »
I thought the spring was wrapped around the shock absorber, holding the spring in place.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 04:41:53 PM »
A shock absorber will not effect the ride height. Only the springs have any effect on that.

A collapsed top mount can affect ride height, and the OP did say he had a mount changed with the shock absorber.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 05:22:17 PM »
I thought the spring was wrapped around the shock absorber, holding the spring in place.
Front suspension is usually that configuration, but rear suspension, where I removed the shock, can be any number of different arrangements.
Regarding the mount, I forgot that was the original failure, leading to a damaged shock. That is what happened to my SAAB, after the rear suspension arm collapsed.

Tags:

anything