Author Topic: Ban on gas heating for new UK homes  (Read 9657 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Ban on gas heating for new UK homes
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2022, 04:00:45 PM »
My house was built in 1926 and others of the same design all had major problems when cavity wall insulation was installed.  (I believe there is now a new method that works for these houses. )

So there is potential for problems with cavity wall insulation. Especially if it was done  by a bit of a cowboy.    The causes of damp  is a complex subject   It may pay you to consult an expert.   There might be a simple and relatively cheap  structural fix such as blocked air bricks or the damp proof membrane bridged.  It may save you the cost of  buying a dehumidifier and its ongoing running   costs. I got damp in my single storey kitchen solely due to a hairline crack in a roof tile.  It cost pennies to fix. 

Even if the necessary remedial work is quite  expensive it might still be  better option to stop the damp at source rather than be perpetually fighting it.     

How old is the house?  It might not even have cavity walls.  Buyers dont always get told the truth. It may need an expert to decide if the damp is rising from the ground, or running down from above perhaps due to faulty roof, gutters etc . Damp creeps and its source is not always obvious.

And if there is paperwork for the work being carried out,  could it still be covered by a guarantee?   10 years ,maybe longer.   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 04:18:14 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2022, 04:06:27 PM »
I've read that there are a lot of cowboy cavity insulation outfits. They drill holes and squirt in inappropriate stuff that blocks the airbrick airflow and condensation takes over big time.

With regard to dehumidifiers, investigate the descicant type as they work in lower temperatures so can be more effective.

I've got a descicant in my garage with a permanent water exhaust hose and that is very effective. It can reduce the humidity from >90% down to <75% in an hour.

It's old now and therefore out of stock but this is what I got : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FCMHU8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 04:08:14 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2022, 05:10:57 PM »
I went to check something I'd heard before:

Desiccant dehumidifiers..... blow out air that is 10-12C warmer than the air that came in! This makes the desiccant dehumidifier a good choice for warming up a room. Just place it in a chilly hallway or room and it should get warmer as a result.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:14:44 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2022, 07:13:47 PM »
I followed culzeans advice and bought an Ebac 3850e. Brilliant. We use it for drying the washing as it has a Laundry setting. It isn't expensive to run and it puts a little heat into the room.
Which reminds me. I'll have to set it up in the car to give it a thorough drying out before the winter sets in.

https://www.ebac.com/dehumidifiers/3850e-dehumidifier

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2022, 10:25:05 PM »
Looking at the Ebac 2000 series for my lad Jocko. I think Culzean's advice was great and I prefer the non desiccant design as they are more energy efficient. They do a 7 day free trial so we’re going to try that.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2022, 10:14:44 AM »
Looking at the Ebac 2000 series for my lad Jocko. I think Culzean's advice was great and I prefer the non desiccant design as they are more energy efficient. They do a 7 day free trial so we’re going to try that.
I wanted it, particularly for drying washing, hence the reason I chose the one I did.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2022, 10:21:39 AM »
If the damp is condensation then a Dehumidifier will certainly help. If its damp coming through the building then you need to get that sorted at source as no Dehumidifier can cope with that amount.

We have an EBAC. Not the cheapest to buy but I consider it to be well worth the outlay as its quiet and efficient and (other than emptying and occasional cleaning of the filter) it needs no intervention to work at its best

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2022, 03:15:44 PM »
Have had a Meaco desiccant dehumidifier for sometime now, performance is great and at 650W it doesn't break the bank, thou obviously costing a lot more to run now, performance is good for laundry drying.

https://www.meaco.com/products/meaco-dd8l-dehumidifier

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2022, 03:58:43 PM »
The reason I went for the Ebac was it is only 250w consumption. They reckon 43p/day.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2022, 04:07:10 PM »
I wonder how much 43p a day equates to today with inflated prices
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2022, 05:52:24 PM »
I can see the attraction of an economic fix, especially with  a baby to protect and finance.  And it  may be the best solution.   But even 43p a day is £156 a year,(or more at todays prices)  and if and when they hope to sell the house  the prospective buyer and their  building surveyor may not be impressed with a temporary solution.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2022, 05:38:51 PM »
The reason I went for the Ebac was it is only 250w consumption. They reckon 43p/day.
250W = 6kWh per day if running continuously. At 30p/kWh that's £1.80 per day = £657 per year. The big question, however, is how many hours per day and how many days per year would it need to run to get the damp under control?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2022, 06:13:10 PM »
250W = 6kWh per day if running continuously. At 30p/kWh that's £1.80 per day = £657 per year. The big question, however, is how many hours per day and how many days per year would it need to run to get the damp under control?
The whole point of these Ebac models is they sense the levels of condensation and learn the patterns of the household. So they minimise time on. Also, I believe the 43p/day includes some element of savings on heating bills due to the house being less damp and hence needing less energy to heat.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2022, 06:14:22 PM »
I can see the attraction of an economic fix, especially with  a baby to protect and finance.  And it  may be the best solution.   But even 43p a day is £156 a year,(or more at todays prices)  and if and when they hope to sell the house  the prospective buyer and their  building surveyor may not be impressed with a temporary solution.
A permanent fix, if indeed one is possible, would run into many thousands of pounds. That's a non starter. They will be moving home within the next 4 years I expect.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2022, 11:38:09 AM »
The whole point of these Ebac models is they sense the levels of condensation and learn the patterns of the household. So they minimise time on. Also, I believe the 43p/day includes some element of savings on heating bills due to the house being less damp and hence needing less energy to heat.
Mine is a Meaco https://www.meaco.com/products/meacodry-abc-range-12l-dehumidifier but behaves similarly and will stop if it reaches the pre-set minimum humidity and the power consumption (<200W) is no more than a couple of incandescent light bulbs. It had a good test a few days ago drying a replastered bathroom. 23 hours of operation dropped the humidity from 88% to 81% and produced a bucket of water (and warmed the room slightly as the power used become heat). Drying progress was better thereafter.

If combating damp in a house then the dehumidifier workload will depend on the rate that new moisture is entering. Is it, for example, coming through a specific wall only when there's rain? I wonder if an infra-red thermometer would help identify troublespots as they will be colder than the surrounding area.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything