Author Topic: Turning off the stop-start?  (Read 15300 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
Turning off the stop-start?
« on: February 20, 2019, 05:04:44 PM »
Hello all,

After driving about for a bit, I can't say I like the automatic stop-start function. Is there a way to disable it? I can see there is a button for traction control for example, but cannot see anything that will turn off the stop-start?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Turning off the stop-start?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:32:22 PM »
I think yours will be a Mk2 but you should be able to temporarily disable it. On my car this is a switch near the gear leaver (or automatic shifter in my case) and this cuts it out. It defaults to on again when you restart the engine however. I don't think you can permanently disable it.

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »
Ah bugger. Yes, mine is a MKII. Is there a fuse I can pull somewhere or do something else?  :o

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
When I got our Mk3 I thought I would hate auto stop, but after a week or two it was a non event. Stopped thinking about it and barely noticed.

Why do you dis-like it so much? It is a fuel and emissions saving device, and since you bought a hybrid presumably these are more important to you than most people?

In the Hybrid I believe the petrol motor is started by the main electric motor so ought to be even smoother.

Wouldn't surprise me if it is not possible to turn off in the hybrid, since it is a whole different animal to the non hybrids.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
Surely Stop/Start is a fundamental element of a hybrid system. I can't see why you would want to disable it and why Honda would offer that option. I expect if you attempt to disable it you will completely knacker your car, and if not, you will at least remove any value from the Hybrid system that you paid a premium for.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »
I've learnt to live with the stop/start system. I had reservations initially but you get used to it and the option to turn it off when it gets annoying is always there. It has become second nature to me to switch it off as I approach home. What was doing my head in was the engine stopping when you came to a halt in the drive and then immediately coming on again as you moved the shift through to Park.

On the CVT I don't like the fact that you can't go into neutral at the lights without the engine coming back on. At a longer stop I find the tension in the old right leg being kept on the brake is, quite literally, a pain. In a manual car, it's into neutral, handbrake on, feet off the pedals. Impossible to do this in a CVT with start/stop.

I did test drive a hybrid Yaris before I bought my current car. There the start stop system was hardly noticeable because when you take off you are in EV mode. Don't know how this works on the Jazz hybrid though.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:52:39 PM »
On the CVT I don't like the fact that you can't go into neutral at the lights without the engine coming back on. At a longer stop I find the tension in the old right leg being kept on the brake is, quite literally, a pain. In a manual car, it's into neutral, handbrake on, feet off the pedals. Impossible to do this in a CVT with start/stop.

Not that it helps you much, but on the 2019 HR-V they have changed it.  If you have "Brake Hold" switched on then you can gently brake to a stop to engage it, once engaged, you can take your foot off the brake.  Further pressure on the foot brake when you come to a stop will activate the auto-stop.  Again you can remove your foot from the peddle and it will stay activated.  Hopefully this will find it's way to the Jazz before too long.

The downside, as far as other motorists are concerned, is that the brake lights stay on.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 10:48:01 PM »
The Hybrid Jazz's stop-start implementation is smoother than that on the Mk 3 Jazz because, when you want to move, the IMA motor starts to power the car so there's no delay due to the engine needing to start. Then fuel gets injected once the vehicle is moving and the engine is turning over so the engine can contribute to the acceleration so the period running as an EV is very short.

I recall that there are situations when the Hybrid's stop-start doesn't activate, one being too many stop-starts within some undefined period in a slowly moving traffic queue.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 08:32:49 AM »
There may be a way to fudge the stop start system,  for the 2000 year Insight, the car had an external component, a temperature sensor known as a thermistor, the component is mounted underneath the front valance of the car and reports ambient temperature to the car controls.  Dealers would forget to couple up the part, leaving the connector unplugged.  Without the thermistor information the stop start system defaults to  disabled., no error lights as the car dashboard either. 

Is there a similar setup for the Jazz? Please check the wiring loom diagrams or maintenance manual to see if there is an external thermistor  that could be unplugged as a trial

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 08:36:54 AM »
[

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 08:44:17 AM »
I’ve had my Jazz cvt 2018 a few weeks now. I’ve fully charged the battery using my Ctek and not putting -ve lead on the battery post etc. as advised.
The stop/start has never kicked in, ever!
I don’t want it to be honest, just wanted to see how it worked so I’ll see how it goes.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
I’ve had my Jazz cvt 2018 a few weeks now. I’ve fully charged the battery using my Ctek and not putting -ve lead on the battery post etc. as advised.
I don’t want it to be honest, just wanted to see how it worked so I’ll see how it goes.
Did you intend to post here - this is the Mk 2 hybrid thread? In that vehicle the stop-start will depend on the hybrid's big battery and should always work once the car is started and the engine warmed up (but is also influenced by heating and aircon needs which need the engine to run).

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 09:03:00 AM »
I would suggest that there is no Stop/Start on the Hybrid Jazz in the accepted sense.
The engine is simply responding to the demands of either driving the car and/or charging the battery.
If the car does not require power to move it, or the battery is in a high state of charge, then the engine will not run.
All this is done automatically, with no input from the driver.

When I back the car out of my garage in the morning, the engine almost always starts, running at around 1600rpm, for perhaps a minute or so, before shutting down, then when I move off, it is usually in EV mode, until such time as the battery become depleted, whereupon the engine comes in to assist movement and charge the battery. This procedure ensures that there is some warmth in the engine to run the heater.

Under normal driving conditions it is difficult to know, by sound, whether the engine is running or not, 'EV' comes up on the dashboard to indicate when in EV mode.

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:26 AM »
Did you intend to post here - this is the Mk 2 hybrid thread? In that vehicle the stop-start will depend on the hybrid's big battery and should always work once the car is started and the engine warmed up (but is also influenced by heating and aircon needs which need the engine to run).
I know this is the hybrid section and just wanted to put across a general view of stop/start from my view.
If it’s not welcome I’ll go and sit on the naughty step!  ;D

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »
I know this is the hybrid section and just wanted to put across a general view of stop/start from my view.
If it’s not welcome I’ll go and sit on the naughty step!  ;D
The Mk 2 hybrid stop-start behaves differently from that in the Mk 3. The motor-generator in the Mk 2's hybrid system is built into the engine instead of a flywheel. While the vehicle also has a conventional starter motor which is used to start the engine at the beginning of a trip, the hybrid's motor-generator then does the engine starting but the engine won't stop if there isn't enough charge in the big battery. When there is enough charge and the engine is stopped then the vehicle will start to move using the motor which also gets the engine spinning and fuel is added to get more power. I didn't appreciate that behaviour with smooth starting and the torque boost from the motor until I traded in my hybrid Mk 2 for a Mk 3 where, when stop-start is working, the engine has to start before the car starts to move.

The Mk 3 stop-start system has a long checklist of things which must be OK before the stop-start is willing to activate. Honda didn't want to create any possibility of an engine unwilling to quickly start again at an inconveneint time or place. I attach this checklist. It says HR-V but is the same for the Mk 3 Jazz.

Tags:

anything