Author Topic: Misty air con  (Read 660 times)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Misty air con
« on: August 05, 2019, 10:24:29 AM »
I was on my way back from the seaside yesterday with a couple of damp, happy dogs in the back when mist started coming out of the  centre vents. Surprised I turned  the air con off, just in case. I had to turn it on again later but no repeat performance.

Does anyone know what could have been happening? Also is it a sign the air con (well, climate control) needs attention?

When mist was coming out it seemed particularly cold and I was concerned the compressor might have been stuck on. Hopefully that was just my brain coming up with something alarming (as is its wont, from time to time). Or could it be wherever the condensed water goes getting full up?
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

guest4871

Re: Misty air con
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 12:00:26 PM »
Don't worry about it.

I think you have had just a combination of very high humidity in very warm air - seaside and wet dogs.

I am no expert on Relative Humidity but you may have triggered a Dew Point of sorts which can happen.

If if doesn't repeat in normal circumstances, then you created a very rare (in UK) "one off" situation.

I had a car in Hong Kong which would do this in very warm humid weather. It was a regular feature on air planes in olden days when the aircraft doors were opened arriving at an airport in the tropics where there was very high humidity and heat compared with the dry cooler air in the plane (it would cause mild panic in some passengers because it could look like smoke!).

By default, by turning the air con off and then on again later, the very warm damp air would have ventilated away naturally before you turned the air con back on.

Tags: