Author Topic: Option to change new tyres  (Read 1240 times)

Hugh R

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
Option to change new tyres
« on: November 23, 2022, 10:48:59 AM »
When I order my new car I would like to change the tyres to all weather- (for instance) Michelin Cross Climate2. Have any of you done this kind of deal and has the dealership charged you?  Interesting to know how they have responded.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
Re: Option to change new tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 03:55:11 PM »
I know someone who has asked this question to a dealer and the answer was along the lines of:
The car comes with 4 new tyres deemed as suitable for the vehicle. There are no tyre options available even if you order different wheels, you have to accept the tyres that are fitted at the factory. After delivery you are able to change the tyres if you wish at your own expense. 

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
The official line will be not to swop.   I can understand they would refuse to swop to a size different to the approved size. 
But how keen are they to sell a new car.  If they cant be bothered to change tyres, how bothered will they be  to help customers in other areas.      If you make it a condition of the sale ,and propose an all season tyre of the correct size they can do the maths themselves.It may help if you research beforehand the cost and an on line supplier of the tyres you want prior to the sales negotiation.  Then put your proposal to them and see what they say.           The  costs of 4 new all seasons,  less the value of the 4 brand new tyres they remove, and keep.  These may cost more than the replacements .They may have gained on the deal with advantage of being the same brand fitted by Honda.  They must surely be able to sell them eventually to replace damaged tyres etc with the correct brand. .    Question is can they be bothered.  It may say a lot about them.  They may give in if you threaten to walk out the door and find a better dealership.

I think Jazzik's dealer fitted  Vredstein  all season tyres at his request for nil cost. .  But that was in Poland. 

If push comes to shove then maybe an independent  tyre fitters might  do a deal to replace the tyres immediately , deducting the value of  the 4 brand new  tyres they remove and keep.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 05:50:53 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 07:13:59 PM »
A friend of mine bought a new FR-V and asked to have four-season tyres on steel wheels fitted instead of the alloys normally supplied. The dealer was happy to do so as a no-cost option. I suppose it depends on the dealer.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 09:09:33 PM »
Another option is what i did. Bought the car with standard 16" alloys and summer tyres.    Purchased 4x15" aftermarket alloys with all seasons tyre, to the same specification as original fitment for Jazz with 15" wheels.   Got a wheel and tyre deal,ready fitted , and because 15" tyres are significantly cheaper than 16"  the alloy rims  only worked out at £60 each  (may now cost more) 

Its a big initial outlay because I was basically buying my next set of tyres early .  I intend using the summer tyres in the summer,and the all seasons in the winter. I hope to get many miles out of the summer tyres but will never replace them.If they get near the tread limit I will stop using the summer wheels and use the all seasons all year round. Until the car is sold on its original wheels and summer tyres.     

This way I get to keep my extra set of alloys  and all season tyres for use on my next car  (or sell them if they dont fit )    I believe that overall they will pay for themselves.    With the added advantage  the original expensive alloys wont be at risk of kerbing  damage for as many miles a year ,I can use one  as an emergency  spare if required,  and I prefer the appearance of the aftermarket ones.  :-*

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 01:32:05 PM »
I think Jazzik's dealer fitted  Vredstein  all season tyres at his request for nil cost. .  But that was in Poland. 

Indeed, but that was negotiated as part of the deal. We, doubting the price, doubting, doubting... Finally: we buy if the car is delivered on the desired tires. The dealer agreed.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Hugh R

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX Grey
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 03:47:14 PM »
I think this has been mentioned before. But is there a problem with the speedo and mileage count if I go from replacing 17" wheels with 16" - again assuming the dealer will agree.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 08:21:09 PM »
Not with the correct tire size: https://tiresize.com/calculator/ Check "Tire Comparison"
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 07:17:25 AM »
What car are you choosing?   I  had only considered the differences between swopping tyres on the same 16" rims, or downsizing to 15"   .   You can get crossclimates in 205/45/R 17     ,about £150 each.   If the dealer wont play ball you could maybe get them fitted independently ,and quite possibly get a fair price on ebay for the new ones that were removed. Especially if you do it immediately while they still have knobbly bits and coloured stripes as new.    ( dont let the tyre fitters ,or indeed the main dealer, keep them without a price adjustment  :P )

But if swopping to 16" wheels you would also need to negotiate for different wheels.      The dealership might be only too happy to remove and keep  17" wheels and tyres and supply you 4 new  (cheaper) 16" Honda wheels with the tyres of your choice. They will gain on the deal.  If they are happy with suitability.  In fact they may gain so much I personally would still look into the feasibility of buying my own 16" wheels  (genuine Honda or aftermarket -maybe after market 17" )   and tyres  and keeping the originals,possibly unused,  so the car can later be sold as standard with undamaged wheels  (they might reduce the trade in value if the car no longer has the 17" wheels expected of that model  , and certainly will if they have been kerbed. )    Or flog them ,or the alternative set ,privately. 

205/45/R17 have a similar rolling circumference  to 185/55/R16  so speedo etc shouldnt be affected much.   . Both are Honda sizes,  The downside is the tread width is 20 mm narrower. Also 17" rims are wider  - 7"   so the dealer might have concerns about suitability.    And also 185/55/R16  crossclimates are a rare size and cost about £165 each  . (195/55/R16 are  closer on width and rolling circumference , and only cost about £120 each  but these are not an approved Honda size) 
The real bargain is downsizing from 16" to 15".  185/60/R15.    also a Honda approved size.  Crossclimates in this size are only about £100 each.  which could go towards the cost of wheels  ( assuming 17" to 15" is feasible.)  If you buy the initial set of tyres, then replace them once  prior to selling the car thats a potential saving of over £500 compared to 8 x  16" tyres. (or you could spend £400 on  just one set and never having to replace them because you also  get some wear from your summer ones that came with the car) . Over the long term my crazy idea of buying extra wheels makes more sense!  Especially if like me you often drive where winter rated tyres are compulsory.  P

another option for those who plan to replace tyres at least once during their ownership. Initially run what Honda Brung, be they 16" or 17".  and dont involve  the dealer  .  Then as soon as convenient fit 4 new all seasons.  But make sure you keep the tyres that were removed !  .   Store those tyres, . With a bit of planning, swopping front to rear to even wear, and some luck with the season its possible  that the last tyres you need to fit to the car   before its sold  could be your stored summer tyres.  You'd only need to pay for fitting  (maybe £15 a corner if you shop around)   Even if you dont get the full wear from them, you wont be handing over the car with nearly new tyres you have only just paid for   or be tempted to fit cheapo tyres  .    OK you are paying for new tyres early,  but the stored tyres are inflation proof and better than money in the bank  (hopefully they will inflate with air when the time comes  ;D )   If you get the timing wrong and dont need to fit them you might be able to sell them for more than you paid for the all seasons.   A bit of faffing about but may be a solution for some.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:59:21 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Tags:

anything