Author Topic: Battery failure  (Read 4826 times)

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
Re: Battery failure
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »
Discovered this afternoon to my horror that my battery was showing only 7.5 V. It worked perfectly fine before and the car was last used at 8:30 PM last night. Now seems like my daughter was playing with the front cabin lights and may have left them on. I don’t know the power rating of them, but I’m surprised it drained the battery completely. I check voltage before starting every time as my USB charger displays it, and it’s always been above 12.6 so I assume the battery was at least 75pct charged.

Nevertheless,  this battery is nearing 5 years old, and I don’t know it’s history since I’ve only had the car 4 months .  so I came back to this link that I’d seen before and did the right thing by ordering the Yuasa 5054 at £45.87 ( Thanks Cuzlean) a small price for the next 5 years peace of mind.

I know my old battery still has some life in it, will find some use for it powering something in the garden with a 12V solar maintainer Have removed and kept it to charge now.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:21:59 PM by DomnicZZ »
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

DomnicZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 1.4 SE MK1
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 10:40:39 AM »
Update to Above: Tayna batteries were really fast. Got the battery delivered in less than 24 hours. Will look at changing my internal lights to LED so that this does not happen again.
My Jazz: 2004 CVT

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 05:33:55 PM »
2012 Jazz 1.4 auto battery died yesterday in the house garage exactly 4 years and 4 days since new.  AA have delivery and fitting service for members and non members.  Ordered online then within two hours AA fitted a Yuasa YBX 3054 (5 year guarantee) for £100 being less than some online vendors prices without delivery.  AA man said the worst thing to do is listen to the radio while engine is switched off as battery drain is excessive.   He said Yuasa is better than Bosch.

Sitting in the hospital car park yesterday and car next to me had a flat battery and the driver was waiting for the AA. He said can't understand it all I've been doing is listening to the radio for about 30 minutes.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 07:26:53 PM »
Sitting in the hospital car park yesterday and car next to me had a flat battery and the driver was waiting for the AA. He said can't understand it all I've been doing is listening to the radio for about 30 minutes.

That's just how the end of battery life many times becomes known. After that happening it's generally better to head to battery shop right away. However, with wise use that battery can still serve many months without problems in daily use and in summer conditions. Just be prepared.

If that would have happened in Finland, the driver would have asked for help to push start or jump start with cables. Been there and done that, several times, both asking and helping.

eagle123

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 se gd series
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 07:29:09 PM »
Battery used to be more durable before with smaller cars they have lighter batteries with less cranking output due to getting better mpg and lower emmisions in reducing weight

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 09:50:05 PM »
Battery used to be more durable before with smaller cars they have lighter batteries with less cranking output due to getting better mpg and lower emmisions in reducing weight

Modern cars start much easier than older cars used to and modern batteries pack more starting power into a smaller lighter battery due to improvements in chemistry and lighter plate grids, and modern batteries are so much more reliable than the old ones were - and are totally maintenance free.  There are just so many more things that need electrical power on modern cars.... best thing to do with batteries is if you get a secondhand car approaching or over 5 years old fit a new battery straight away and write the date on it - and if you keep your cars for a while replace the battery every 5 years -

At this price for a Yuasa Silver with 5 year warranty it really is a no brainer... ( Halfords charge over double that price ).

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/ybx5054/

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:52:30 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 11:29:47 AM »
My original battery lasted 7.5 years. The replacement from Halfords will be five years old in January. I'll probably replace it before the winter sets in.

I do sit in the car and listen to the radio but I always unplug the dashcam (I have it running from a twin USB socket plugged into the 12V aux socket).

My dad's Kia Rio diesel was still on the original battery when he sold it at nearly ten years old. He retired when the car was 18 months old and since then only covered a tiny mileage each year.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 11:39:27 AM »
Dashcam uses a tiny amount of energy. You could leave it running for a month without flattening the battery.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
I always carry charging cables with me..

I drove in South Africa for a couple of years: used them lots of time..

In UK when youngest son drove bangers, often used them..

Just wait till there are lots of EVs on the road: there will be no call for them as EVs will be so reliable and batteries will never run flat and engines not start.. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(the only true bit is the last 4 words)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »
Just wait till there are lots of EVs on the road: there will be no call for them
That part is also true. You cannot use Jump cables with an EV. You would have to carry a transporter with you.

Or a generator and a "Granny lead".

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 02:00:22 PM by Jocko »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2020, 06:41:25 PM »
In reality, EVs are programmed to run slower (and probably give loads of warnings) if the battery is getting low. In addition, lithium batteries tend to hold their charge much better than lead-acid batteries when the vehicle is parked although accessories such as alarms will sip some power. Honda recommends that I drive my hybrid Jazz for at least half an hour every three months to keep the big battery in a good state of charge.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Martin Haworth

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz si 20113
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 06:29:21 PM »
This afternoon Halfords price matched a Yuasa ybx5054 battery from Tayna against their own  Yuasa HBS154.

It is clearly the same battery, and I managed to convince the manager of this.

It's always worth a go!

Cheers

Martin

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 06:44:02 PM »
This afternoon Halfords price matched a Yuasa ybx5054 battery from Tayna against their own  Yuasa HBS154.

It is clearly the same battery, and I managed to convince the manager of this.

Result!

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 10:56:30 AM »
Changed the battery on my 2.2 i-cdti Civic today, it failed to start a couple of times over the last week in cold weather.
I got a Varta battery from Tayna, £72 & £8 delivery, ordered Friday afternoon, arrived Monday morning.
The car fired up instantly, turned out the old battery which was in the car when I bought it 18 months ago was the wrong spec anyway.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 11:28:26 AM »
 :) £80 sounds like great value for the battery considering the 2.2 litre engine and cranking power it needs. 

Tags: