Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 208199 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2019, 07:02:02 PM »
Today I had a run to the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, and despite over 5 miles of queuing, stop start, traffic, the ScanGauge indicated 60.7 mpg. There was almost 4 miles of traffic trying to get over the Queensferry Crossing. Why they built a bridge with only a dual carriageway when there are two dual carriageways merging at each end, heading North and South, beats me. Other than overnight, there is always slow traffic trying to head North. Must be the attraction of the Kingdom of Fife!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:05:28 PM by Jocko »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #391 on: August 02, 2019, 11:56:57 AM »
Filled up again today, once again with 97 octane, and car returned 60.8 mpg. Onboard display was 6% optimistic, with 64.2 mpg
I have now averaged 59.8 mpg over the last 6 fill ups and 2,350 miles.

mutts nutts racing

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SE
« Reply #392 on: August 03, 2019, 12:37:18 AM »
Just picked up my first Jazz today. 02 plate. Just finished a 12 hour day delivering pizza and my dash says 58 mpg. Dead chuffed with that. Been a really pleasure to drive today..... except the 'foggy' headlamps. Hope there is some tips one here somewhere. :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2019, 09:29:32 AM »
Just picked up my first Jazz today. 02 plate. Just finished a 12 hour day delivering pizza and my dash says 58 mpg. Dead chuffed with that. Been a really pleasure to drive today..... except the 'foggy' headlamps. Hope there is some tips one here somewhere. :)

Many threads on here about cleaning up cloudy headlights,  ranging from taking an angle grinder to them down to toothpaste ....good luck

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=9706.msg54927#msg54927
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »
I used Windowize, and found it really effective.
58 is a great number for around town. I get my best mpg figures in town, or certainly, in traffic. Be aware that the Fibometer on the dashboard tends to be a bit optimistic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
I have the ScanGauge E fitted to my car and it displays an average mpg for the current journey, along with the instantaneous mpg.

It is more accurate than the Fibometer as it is calibrated at each top up.

Most of my regular journeys tend to be over the same routes and in pretty much the same sort of traffic. About the only real variable is the weather. As a result I can check my average mpg at known points and it gives me an idea if I am doing better or worse than other journeys.
Today, my wife, who is recovering from surgery, was in the car with me. It has been a while since she has been well enough to accompany me, so most of my trips have been single crewed. What I noticed today, was at all the salient points, my average mpg was not as good as recently. It is what all the mpg forums say. Reduce the weight in the car to get the best mpg. Once she is fully recovered she can start running along behind me.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »
I used Windowize, and found it really effective.
58 is a great number for around town. I get my best mpg figures in town, or certainly, in traffic. Be aware that the Fibometer on the dashboard tends to be a bit optimistic.

Interesting about getting best figures in town. I posted on the Mk3 forum about my experiment with 97 RON petrol but another thing occurs to me. Typical journey, for me, is 3.5 miles return to the supermarket with the engine getting cold whilst we do the shop. Now here's the thing. I filled up to take advantage of a 10 pence per litre offer at Sainsburys. After that did 3 more journeys to feed my daughter's cat. This journey is 6 miles return with only a 10 minute stop to give Sam his food. On the fibometer I am showing 56 mpg which is almost certainly a genuine 52.

I can see where you are coming from. Applying usual eco driving techniques although not full hypermiling.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #397 on: August 04, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
Interested to hear how you get reliable figures from topping up Jocko. I've been logging mine on fuelly but it varies wildly depending when the pump cuts out. Even using the same pump. I'd read you shouldn't fill to the brim in case fuel gets into the charcoal canister for emissions control. But then I think on the Jazz that's under the bonnet and above the level of the filler. Anyone know for sure?
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #398 on: August 04, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
Filling to the brim means topping off, right up into the neck. I used to do that back in the old days, when filler pipes only had an overflow and no emission controls. I fill to the first click off with my Jazz. My old Cavalier would click off several times during topping up. With that I kept the nozzle in the tank and filled until I got two click offs in quick succession.
springswood: Try that for future top ups and see if that smooths out your numbers.
Also, be aware that unless you do similar journeys every tankful, then you can get varying mpg figures.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #399 on: August 04, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
I wait until the first click. I am pretty sure all pumps are slightly different plus minor differences in how hard you squeeze the trigger will mean earlier or later cut offs. That might mean each individual mpg figure might not be dead right but, over time, you will get an accurate average mpg figure.

I could get this by deleting 4 mpg from the fibometer on trip B (which I don't zero) but I like the graphs and pie charts on Fuelly!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #400 on: August 04, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
My Fibometer never twice shows the same degree of error. I too like Fuelly, with all the stats it generates.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #401 on: August 05, 2019, 10:30:49 AM »
Thanks guys. My driving is a bit unpredictable (in its mix of long and short journeys) but I've noticed that it takes anywhere from 10 to over 100 miles before the needle moves off full, and this correlates with good or bad figures so I think that's mostly it.

Yes I love all the graphs on fuelly too.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »
I have the ScanGauge E fitted to my car and it displays an average mpg for the current journey, along with the instantaneous mpg.

It is more accurate than the Fibometer as it is calibrated at each top up.

Most of my regular journeys tend to be over the same routes and in pretty much the same sort of traffic. About the only real variable is the weather. As a result I can check my average mpg at known points and it gives me an idea if I am doing better or worse than other journeys.
Today, my wife, who is recovering from surgery, was in the car with me. It has been a while since she has been well enough to accompany me, so most of my trips have been single crewed. What I noticed today, was at all the salient points, my average mpg was not as good as recently. It is what all the mpg forums say. Reduce the weight in the car to get the best mpg. Once she is fully recovered she can start running along behind me.

Absolutely. No room for slackers.

PS - Hope everything is now OK on the health front though.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »
Thanks Martin. She has chemo and radiotherapy to go, but she should be finished with surgery.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
Thanks Martin. She has chemo and radiotherapy to go, but she should be finished with surgery.

Fingers crossed.

Tags: