Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 208223 times)

E27006

• Approved Member
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #615 on: July 08, 2021, 10:31:25 PM »
Those of us complaining about unfair taxes on fuel,  perhaps we should stop driving cars and buy a business jet instead.
The EU is going to make business jets exempt from a carbon fuel tax,  that should please all those rock stars en route to a gig  and executives flying  to a G7 conference.

The European Commission’s planned carbon tax on jet fuel, which will be presented for legislation on July 14, will carry exemptions for private jets and cargo flights on the grounds that such journeys “aid to the conduct” of business, it was announced today. Apparently multi-millionaire celebrities jetting around the continent to visit their second homes is now classified as “business travel"

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Honda Jazz
« Reply #616 on: July 08, 2021, 11:42:48 PM »
I had a look at the air filter. Sure enough it needed changing.
Does it make that much differance? If it does then I might check mine because I have never done it and if it increases fuel economy then I assume that it would also work the other way and increase power output as well?

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #617 on: July 09, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »
It makes about 4 mpg difference on my car. As our cars age I suppose they vary, otherwise why would Jocko get such spectacular mpg. There was a very well informed discussion of it on here a year or so ago where someone made the case that with all the sensor data going back to the EMU it should be able to adjust for the reduced flow from an air filter and make no difference. But in practise for me it does. No noticeable change in power though.

I think the only way to find out is to try a new filter (or clean the existing one). It's an easy and cheap job.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #618 on: July 09, 2021, 10:18:01 AM »
It makes about 4 mpg difference on my car. As our cars age I suppose they vary, otherwise why would Jocko get such spectacular mpg. There was a very well informed discussion of it on here a year or so ago where someone made the case that with all the sensor data going back to the EMU it should be able to adjust for the reduced flow from an air filter and make no difference. But in practise for me it does. No noticeable change in power though.

I think the only way to find out is to try a new filter (or clean the existing one). It's an easy and cheap job.

If less air flowing then oxygen sensors in exhaust will instruct ECU to reduce amount of fuel being squirted in, less fuel = less power.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #619 on: July 09, 2021, 10:33:32 AM »
Even different air filters have an effect. I changed from a new Bosch to a new Fram. Noticeably better performance and better MPG.

Don't know why - but I am not complaining!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #620 on: July 09, 2021, 12:39:12 PM »
I change my air filter every year. I have used cheap ones and dear ones and have never noticed any difference between makes or between the old one and the new one. Neither in performance or in mpg.

• Approved Member
« Reply #621 on: July 09, 2021, 06:55:18 PM »

I have had my car 15 months now and I haven’t checked or changed the air filter since I had it and I doubt that the mechanic has either. It will be interesting to see how it’s looking. Pretty dirty I would expect.

Can you clean them or do you just by another one?

• Approved Member
« Reply #622 on: July 09, 2021, 06:56:57 PM »

If less air flowing then oxygen sensors in exhaust will instruct ECU to reduce amount of fuel being squirted in, less fuel = less power.
Less power meaning that you’re more likely to squeeze the peddle a bit more and therefore use more fuel in the long run.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

• Approved Member
« Reply #624 on: July 09, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
Mission failed:

I couldn't get the screws undone. They were either really tight or have rusted solid. Either way, mission failed.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #625 on: July 10, 2021, 07:53:49 AM »
Mission failed:

I couldn't get the screws undone. They were either really tight or have rusted solid. Either way, mission failed.

If the screws are that rusted the air filter may never have been replaced.... looks like from MY 2005 screws replaced by clips. This guy mentions a dremel

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12586.msg89752#msg89752
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 07:56:43 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

• Approved Member
« Reply #626 on: July 10, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »
Mission failed:

If the screws are that rusted the air filter may never have been replaced.... looks like from MY 2005 screws replaced by clips. This guy mentions a dremel

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12586.msg89752#msg89752
They are pretty solid. I did manage to break two free and get them spinning which I have left loose ish to make sure I can get them again when I get around to breaking the rest free.

I will try filling the little plastic dips that the screws are in with WD40, letting that soak in for an hour or so and then try again. If I can get them free that would be good because as you say, the air filter is likely the original and unopened.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #627 on: July 14, 2021, 06:00:01 PM »
Filled my tank again this morning and once again there was another penny on a litre. 411 miles this time and 63.2 mpg (calculated). Fibometer reckoned 63.4 so pretty well spot on.
Delighted to say that for the first time ever Fuelly has me at 60.0 mpg for the last 10 top-ups.

Mind you, that is the first time I have had 10 top-ups all in summer. 10 in 7 weeks, to be precise.

That is me now put 1001 gallons in the tank, since buying the Jazz, 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:04:29 PM by Jocko »

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #628 on: August 02, 2021, 04:28:53 PM »
well im not sure how accurate the dash info is but on my 1.4 2007 jazz its showing 31mpg  ? the engine is running sweet and has been serviced. although i did have a flat battery when i picked it up .. all ok now but could the ECU need to be reset . im sure 31mpg isnt right.. my old Subaru Forester 2.0l auto was doing 38 plus .
plus i may add im driving it like an old man lol.. no hi revving just smooth changes etc
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 04:35:38 PM by fashionphotography »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #629 on: August 02, 2021, 06:14:24 PM »
I hate to tell you this but the dash display is usually optimistic! Calculate your figures from one top-up to the next.
My display said 61.4 mpg when I topped up today but my Fuelly/Spritmonitor figure was only 55.7 mpg.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 06:34:42 PM by Jocko »

Tags:

anything