Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 695097 times)

guest9236

Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2535 on: February 28, 2022, 11:22:00 AM »
Just seen in the news that a Falcon rocket launched launched seven years ago is going to crash into the moon and explode.  another great Tesla product - a normal rocket could have got there in a few days and landed safely... Wonder if it working on Tesla autopilot ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60148543

Perhaps it was all electric to help this green  tripe we are being fed, electric cars, electric boilers, air/ ground source heat pumps,
The mind boggles at the sheer idiocies of it all, wait and see how popular this will be, when no natural gas or butane/ Propane no oil, no  wood burning stoves no open fires no oil boilers ,for rural dwellers, what will power Combined Harvesters, or Tractors seed drills and so on and  so on.results.possibly food shortages no bread no veg etc.
Net Zero impossible to achieve in  a thousand years.
When the penny finally drops  and the populace find just now cold it really is in winter even in our climate with NO alternative to ELECTRICITY available. Good Luck.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2536 on: March 18, 2022, 02:39:37 PM »
I am seriously considering the Vauxhall Grandland X PHEV. 39 electric miles WLTP, more than enough for 90% of my motoring miles (15 would do me). It is quite pricey but I have had great motoring from Vauxhalls in the past with a Carlton and a Cavalier (plus the Wyvern I passed my test in).

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #2537 on: March 18, 2022, 04:35:52 PM »
Me too Jocko. There was a write-up on it in the Yorkshire Post motoring section last weekend. I was surprised just how much more affordable it is than other PHEVs. I have made three journeys today in my RAV4 Hybrid and have one more to do. All four would have been possible within the range of a PHEV like the Grandland on a single charge.

I carried out a test, in the RAV4, which has an older generation hybrid system and uses a 2.5l petrol engine on the Atkinson cycle. I turned off all unnecessary electrics (a/c, heated seats, etc.) and drove 4 miles up into the hills to a farm shop. The dash registered 21mpg for that journey. The exact same journey in reverse registered 94.5mpg. So an average of 58mpg. Not bad. But a PHEV would have done it all on electric. So I would really love a PHEV but most start at over £40k, which is just too much for me to justify on a car.

I want my next car to be minimal on gadgets as I want to have it a long time. This RAV4 was 1 year old when I bought it and is 6 years old now. The longest I have owned a single vehicle (apart from our Jazz, which my sons use, and we have had over 8 years now). There is nothing wrong with the RAV4, it was top spec at the time and so has all the gadgets that mid spec cars come with these days. Being a Toyota, the warranty will last to ten years old, so long as they service it each year.

So why change?

Well it is full of things to go wrong eventually, like, say, a power rear door. And that is a little worry at the back of my mind, that it will become expensive to maintain. It's also not as economic in general as I would like. It's a little bigger than I need right now.

Also, having bought it for £26,000 in 2017, it is worth £19,000 as a trade in against a Suzuki S-Cross Ultimate with interest free finance on the £11k shortfall! The S-Cross is essentially like my car but a bit smaller and more economical!

So my list now includes the Grandland, but also include Honda's new HRV, the Toyota RAV4 Cross AWD, the Suzuki Vitara and the S-Cross, and, from left field, the Dacia Duster.

Why the Duster? Well have you seen the pictures from Ukraine? They are everywhere and being used for everything. They are basic but solid, and half the price of my car if it was new! Once you start looking, you see them everywhere! It has heated seats (a must), 4WD, the space I need and no frills I don't need.

So now I am conflicted. In a nice way. I need to do some test driving once I retire in 4 weeks time.

I still believe full electric is too soon, I would prefer a PHEV, but a new Hybrid would also be OK. But I am also not averse to a cheaper petrol vehicle and running it forever.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 04:41:31 PM by richardfrost »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2538 on: March 18, 2022, 05:29:38 PM »
Here's another left hander option, our local taxi chap just swoped his 200k + Vauxhall diesel for a wait for it ....
MG5 estate
When I asked him about his choice he reckoned it was money in the bank the deal he got was unbeatable for his business, charging was around £10.00 and 80% of his work is local max 30miles.
I'll keep in touch to see how enjoys the next 100k.
 EV's are imposed on the motoring public thanks to lobbying by vested interests , no Minister of Transport drives themselves etc etc.
Ill keep our 8th Jazz & my Subaru Turbo .

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2539 on: April 17, 2022, 08:47:52 AM »
Interesting video based on a Volvo investigation into green credentials of ICE vs BEV.

Maybe Volvo make the assumption the the battery will never need replacing in the BEV.  The guy who made this video thinks that because he is on a 'green' tariff ALL his electrical power comes from fans on sticks or Solar panels...sorry but the majority of it, most of the time comes from nuclear, Gas, biomass and even coal... The smart meters are not clever enough yet to filter out the non-green electrons and only allow the 'green electrons through... If the Lithium batteries on my phones and other stuff are anything to go by,  they are on the way out after 2 to 3 years.   If people on 'green' tariffs with 'green' companies really did only receive energy from renewables they may soon realise how intermittent the renewables really are...especially when their lights went out and their subsidised heatpump stopped working.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 08:50:40 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #2540 on: April 17, 2022, 11:27:14 AM »
Should I Buy an Electric Car? was on Channel 5 last week:

"Alexis Conran investigates as Britain gears up to make the switch to electric."
https://www.channel5.com/show/should-i-buy-an-electric-car

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2541 on: May 20, 2022, 05:23:38 AM »
An article on BBC today highlighting the issues with longer journeys and electric.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505025

I'm still struggling to understand why electric car sales are allegedly increasing sharply whilst charging them is often very difficult and time wasting.

A friend bought a Jag iPace back in early 2019 and has regretted it ever since.
Let's be careful out there !

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2542 on: May 20, 2022, 08:33:57 AM »
An article on BBC today highlighting the issues with longer journeys and electric.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505025

I'm still struggling to understand why electric car sales are allegedly increasing sharply whilst charging them is often very difficult and time wasting.

A friend bought a Jag iPace back in early 2019 and has regretted it ever since.

Interesting graphic from BBC article.
The demand is there but the infrastructure is not in place but then putting the infrastructure in place would cost money.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2543 on: May 20, 2022, 03:46:57 PM »
My understanding is that the situation as regards charging is actually getting worse as the number of EVs is outstripping the installation of new chargers.

I guess you have to do your own maths. I could manage with an EV with a range (minimum) of 150 miles having monitored my motoring over 12 months. This makes the assumption that only in the most extreme circumstances would I use the public charging network (in it's current state).

In short, there are sufficient used EVs that would fit my budget and range requirements.

I love my MK4 though so I won't be making the change for some time, if ever. I've done 1,100 miles in the last 7 months so I'm fortunate that the eye watering price of petrol doesn't really affect me.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2544 on: May 24, 2022, 08:16:32 AM »
A good article about the problem of EV charging in rural areas https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61505025.

One part of me wants an EV but another says why inflict myself with the charging hassle when the Crosstar can go 500 miles before I get anxious about refuelling.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #2545 on: May 31, 2022, 05:20:48 PM »
I wonder how the real cost of the charging compares with petrol? A 100kWh battery would cost £15 to £20 to fully charge at current domestic tariffs.

The  expensive battery has a limit to the number of   charge / discharge cycles it can handle, add the cost of replacement of the battery in terms of the  charge / discharge cycle life, it will be  a lot more than £15 to £20.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2546 on: June 01, 2022, 05:01:13 AM »
One report said we may have blackouts this winter.

With increased EV charging and all these new homes and tower blocks being built, where is the electricity coming from ?
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2547 on: June 25, 2022, 02:18:13 PM »
I wonder how the real cost of the charging compares with petrol? A 100kWh battery would cost £15 to £20 to fully charge at current domestic tariffs.

The  expensive battery has a limit to the number of   charge / discharge cycles it can handle, add the cost of replacement of the battery in terms of the  charge / discharge cycle life, it will be  a lot more than £15 to £20.

Expensive battery replacement caused by charging battery to 100% and driving until there nothing in battery - this wearing battery very fast.
In our hybrid cars same lithium battery but it cycling much more times then in an EV but last very long because discharge controlled by computer and not allows to battery be discharged more than down to 20% and charging in most cases not exciding 70-80%.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2548 on: September 10, 2022, 09:17:32 PM »
Here's a good article about the constraint that the supply of the battery chemicals and battery manufacturing capacity will impose on the targets for EV adoption https://www.economist.com/business/2022/08/14/could-the-ev-boom-run-out-of-juice-before-it-really-gets-going . Perhaps Honda's dominant approach to use batteries to maximise the ICE efficiency represents a prudent use of scarce resources?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2549 on: September 11, 2022, 11:13:28 AM »
One report said we may have blackouts this winter.

With increased EV charging and all these new homes and tower blocks being built, where is the electricity coming from ?

solar: lots of it in summer..err..

Tags:

anything