Author Topic: Touchscreen technology  (Read 9353 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Touchscreen technology
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
I've been plagued with a fault that Honda have been unable to fix reliably.
If this is the 'slow to boot'/'silly message' fault then I believe it is now fixed. My car is currently running RC4 and after I updated the App Centre (something you can do yourself in ten minutes, no harder than updating something on your computer) last Monday my infotainment unit has been fine. Prior to the update I would expect a slow boot at least twice a week. I've had none.
Yup, it's the "Process system not responding" error plus frequent system crashes. I've been on RC5 plus latest App Center update for a while now and like you am not currently having problems. But I used the word "reliably" deliberately, because firstly I have had periods of several months before now without issues before it comes back, and secondly Honda themselves are not claiming RC5 or it's predecessors to be a full fix (AFAIK ?).

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
I agree about the delay after update before problems return but so far I've only ever updated the system firmware. Since the App Centre update was done separately I'm hoping that 'give it a few months' doesn't apply. time will of course tell.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »
ColinB, I've switched skins and actually it seems reasonable this time around. However I can't get the clock to appear unless I click through the initial warning message. If I ignore the message it still does what it always has done and blacks the screen out apart from the time (very dim) in the top right corner.
Sorry, on re-reading your original Q I think I misunderstood, I thought you couldn't get the big clock at all. You're right, you do have to have the system functioning (by OK'ing the initial splash screen) before you can display the clock. Depending on how you left the system when you shut it down, there may be up to three taps to get the clock on the display: one to OK the warning, a second to get the home screen (and possibly a swipe to get the correct home screen), then the "Clock" button. Apologies for the misleading steer.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
Can you use the touchscreen with a glove on?

The EX heating controls are not on the touch screen but are smooth touch sensitive buttons on the bottom of the screen so they can be used when the touch screen is not on. I think they are easier to operate than the touch screen. Have a play with them in the dealers.
Yes but you still have to look at them unlike a knob that you can feel.

guest6425

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 04:59:10 PM »
touchscreens... fine for stereo etc, but when they start incorporating things like heating, fans etc I think that's a big fail.

Some makers still manage to keep those 'old style'

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
Maybe the touchscreen is the reason that the collision alarm is fitted. :-)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »
Maybe the touchscreen is the reason that the collision alarm is fitted. :-)

+1.      I like your thinking
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Paulwhitt20

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Various
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
In a few years it will all be speech recognition, like it was in my accord ten years ago.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
In a few years it will all be speech recognition, like it was in my accord ten years ago.

I've got a picture in my mind of people driving along shouting at the dash of their car because the gizmo does not understand what they want.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »
Already on the Fit in USA/Canada.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »
Already on the Fit in USA/Canada.
I hope it's better than the hands-free system in the Mk2. By the time I'd got that to understand what I wanted I was usually almost too hoarse from shouting at it to actually make the call :-/

guest6425

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
LOL yes I agree, it's like 5 steps with confirmation.

Tags:

anything