Author Topic: Engine Management Light  (Read 4000 times)

Skyline84

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
Engine Management Light
« on: February 21, 2024, 11:44:29 AM »
Hello,

When driving home from work last night, the Engine Management Light came on. I was doing a steady 50mph on a stretch of dual carriageway - there was no abnormal noises from the engine, it continued at a steady speed, and got me home.

This morning I have been out in the car again - the EML is still on. There are no unusual noises, the car appears to drive ok (no loss of power, stuttering, the idle speed is ok etc). I can't get to a garage until later next week but I need the car for work (a 14 mile round trip daily).

I am worried about damaging the engine if there is something serious going on - what is the consensus of continuing to drive the car? I don't have a OBD reader nor access to one. I will be speaking to my mechanic next week about it.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Engine Management Light
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 12:24:58 PM »
20 year old car?
Could be anything from failed lambda sensor to  plugs, to  dirty air filter, to failing engine senor.. Get codes read.

Skyline84

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 03:15:48 PM »
I won't be able to get the codes read until next week - I would like to know if the general advice is not to drive until the fault has been dealt with or if it should be ok for now.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 08:55:21 PM »
I ran a mk1 Octi that used to have the EML pop up from time to time when it got on years. Didn't affect the car, so ignored it for ages. I just made sure to check oil & coolant before each journey and listen out for anything unusual. If it were my Jazz, I'd be happy to carry on using it pending investigation subject to the checks above. Mind, I do them as a matter of habit and good practice!

It might well be useful to buy a cheap diagnostic tool from online sites, Amazon ebay etc. If you use the search facility on this site, there have been threads re best diagnostic. Autel I understand to be a good budget brand.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 11:05:15 PM »
As above,  treat yourself to a budget OBD2 reader and get the codes yourself.  Very easy to use,  just go on YouTube to see  how.  You will see what area the fault is associated with,  sensors, ignition etc, and you can clear most fault codes to see if they then get detected again or go away. A garage will probably charge more than the cost of the reader just to have a look. DIY.

Skyline84

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 10:31:36 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll get hold of an OBD reader next week. I am still using the car, and will make regular checks - hopefully it won't be anything too expensive to repair.

Tags:

anything