Author Topic: Jazzy Jeff, my 2005 SE, has seen his last rodeo  (Read 1197 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Jazzy Jeff, my 2005 SE, has seen his last rodeo
« on: February 10, 2024, 11:40:08 AM »
Bought this car in November 2013 for my eldest for his 21st birthday, to use at University and generally be mobile. It really helped him in his early film career scouting and getting to locations and various brief jobs. The car was in pretty good condition apart from a few dents, with 85,000 miles on the clock and two previous owners. He turned the air-con off to save fuel and sadly it never worked again. If he'd have mentioned it I would have told him to leave it on.

He went to London in 2017 to make his fortune and left Jazzy Jeff here on my drive. I drove it a little bit but mostly it sat there as I couldn't figure out what to do with it. Eventually, my younger son's partner's car packed in, so she drove Jeff for a year or so, before leasing a virtually new car.

In early 2020, just before lockdown, my youngest passed his driving test and took on the Jeff as his first car, and it has been working as his tiler's van ever since. We must have spent a couple of thousand pounds on it over the four years to keep it going. It's a bit like Trigger's Broom now, most recently a new battery, NSR window and clutch. It was written off a couple of years ago in a minor front end collision but we got a bumper from a scrapper and kept it going, despite the rust.

Sadly, the state of our roads has done for the suspension. I'm sure it would be a cheap repair but there comes a time when you have to stop investing in a car that was built 20 years ago. It is at 150,000 miles near enough, has the usual wheel arch rust and flooded boot problem, only one working key, the mechanical lock mechanism doesn't work and, as of this week, the rear hatch does not lock, which is an issue when there's hundreds of pounds of tools in there.

So we have decided to cut our losses and get something which is not a van but more suitable for his job as a tiler. Right now, top of the list is a Dacia Logan MCV or Duster, or a 15 year old Nissan X Trail or Honda CRV. A Mk2 Jazz could be in there with a chance as well.

What to do with Jazzy Jeff? He's still a runner with 9 months MOT, so who knows? Someone might want him. I can't really be bothered to part him out so most likely we will SORN him and call a scrap dealer.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 11:44:48 AM by richardfrost »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Jazzy Jeff, my 2005 SE, has seen his last rodeo
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 12:01:52 PM »
Try all the we might buy your car places asap small petrol car with a ticket are in demand .

Skyline84

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 04:37:16 PM »
I'd be tempted to try p/x or sell it - someone will want it with 9 months MOT left!

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 07:59:14 PM »
It needs suspension work after a deadly pothole impact. Just not worth it.

P/x is £100, webuyanycar.com offer is £460 but they won't take it as it's a previous write off, among other things.

I can get £165 from a scrap dealer and they will collect it.

The whole is worth a lot less than the sum of its parts but life is too short for me to strip, store, sell and ship all the bits and pieces.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 08:43:04 PM »
Jazzy Jeff! Love it.  8)

Without question, I would take the time to stick it on Gumtree. Quick wash, a few decent photos and an honest description. It will sell. There is always someone who needs a cheap set of wheels, and in this day and age they are very hard to come by. Have a look on Gumtree and see what £1000 buys? Not a lot.

I sold my Sons Daihatsu Sirion to the first caller for the asking price via Gumtree. It was in bright red, a Cat N, but a decent enough little motor. Bank transfer on my door step. Simple. Could have sold it several times over.

Feeling benevolent? https://www.directline.com/car-cover/magazine/how-to-give-your-car-to-charity

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2024, 11:32:01 AM »
It really is trashed. There is someone who might buy it as a fixer upper to make a daily runner, or he might scrap it, so there may be hope for Jazzy Jeff yet. But that rear wheel is really sloping. Not sure if these pictures do it justice...

Tags: