Author Topic: stall/jolt sitting in 1st gear  (Read 1947 times)

heyjazzy

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2003 honda jazz vtis
stall/jolt sitting in 1st gear
« on: February 05, 2024, 03:49:03 AM »
Hi all,
Hoping this is a slightly different problem than others after searching for 10's of hours about this.
Bought this 03 Jazz 7spd VTiS CVT a couple months ago, it wants to stall while stationary in 1st gear. The idle seems to reduce then the car wants to stall and jolts/kicks.

Initially had the popular shuddering too but after 3x Honda AT oil changes the car drives great with the above exception.
116k on the clock and many successful relearns later, it still wants to lose idle and jolts to stall but doesn't actually stall. All gearbox mounts replaced, EGR replaced, IACV replaced, spark plugs and coils replaced.
Honda didn't want to come to the party on this one - my guess is being an 03' it's too hard basket because it could be anything.

Gearbox shop thinks there shouldn't be issues with the gearbox but rather base idle/timing to review.

ECU issues I've been told by ECU scan tool guy, and heard once from another online post and they found success changing the ECU. I have mucked around with the Throttle position sensor but its like a one size fits all and doesn't actually solve the problem. Being a 20yr old ECU it's seems accessing with a scan tool is less compatible.

Willing to change the ECU but these bills starting to pile up and was hoping someone else has been here before.
Anyone been close or down this road before would be really helpful. Trying not to lose thousands (MORE) $$$
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 04:13:05 AM by heyjazzy »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: stall/jolt sitting in 1st gear
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 09:51:25 AM »
Stop spending, ask around your area who the garage's use for electrical issues. Get a diagnostic report first then proceed.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: stall/jolt sitting in 1st gear
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 09:10:44 AM »
Check the throttle wiring from the accelerator, in particular, the yellow green one. Mine had a fault where the wiring goes through a bulkhead and the yellow green wire got damaged on the bend. Manual 2005 model but could possibly be the same issue as the symptoms are identical. There’s a whole thread on this somewhere.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8695.msg45037#msg45037
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 09:14:47 AM by richardfrost »

Tags:

anything