Author Topic: Bad exhaust smell Jazz 2007 MK1  (Read 32612 times)

ross456

• Registered Member
Bad exhaust smell Jazz 2007 MK1
« on: January 12, 2024, 01:32:41 PM »
Hi,

I am experiencing bad gas smell from the exhaust

Jazz MK1 2007 1.4 iDSI CVT engine: L13A6 with 175k on the clock
Currently changed components:
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Cleared EGR and valve channels
Valve clearance were adjusted
High way fuel consumption with 80-90km/h is around 5.5l/100
I do not bad eggs smell

The local dealership said that they can not measure exhaust and directly said that it is probably catalytic converted. Checked with local catalytic convertor dealer and they said the jazz catalytic convertors are really stable and the probability of bad catalytic converter is like 0. They send me to the dealership.

Does anyone else having similar issues is it common for this vehicle
If additional details is needed let me know
Any other suggestions on what might cause the issue will be much apprichiated
Thanks a lot in advance

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Bad exhaust smell Jazz 2007 MK1
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 02:38:18 PM »
Hi,
I do not bad eggs smell
I'm not entirely sure whether you mean you are getting bad egg smell or not.

"Bad egg" smell is basically hydrogen sulphide H2S and maybe with some sulphur dioxide SO2. This invariably comes from the fuel. It is vaguely possible some may come from the oil but generally speaking there is little or no sulphur in engine oil (there is plenty in gear oils). It depends on exactly how the feedback works alongside the type of catalyst elements used as to whether any sulphur comes through as H2S (low oxygen availability) or SO2 (more oxygen available), it is not usually possible to predict exactly how a vehicles system will behave.

I don't know what country you are in, is the fuel of good quality or can it be variable? Some eastern europe countries can get poor fuels being "dumped", I have had experience in industry with high volatility fuels being dumped into eastern europe in summer causing widespread vapour locking in car fuel systems.

I'd suggest trying to get some fresh fuel from a good branded outlet with a high turnover of fuel so that the chances of getting low quality stuff is minimal.

ross456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 03:10:36 PM »
According to some google searches if you have an eggs smell form your car that means that your catalytic converted is not working
Can not smell that from my car.
I am from eastern europe country.
Only regular 95 shell fuel is used to fill up the tank.

I am also driving a 9th gen civic 1.8 filling up my thank from the same petrol stations and I can not smell the same bad gasoline smell from the exhaust.

I am wondering is it possible that both(or one of) O2 sensors before and after the catalytic convertor works poorly without having an check engine light.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 03:58:42 PM »
Just to be clear,  what is the smell you are getting?

ross456

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 03:10:09 PM »
It smell like over burned petrol from the exhaust pipe.
It does not depends on the climate if it is warm or cold.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 09:56:36 AM »
Enjoy your Jazz, take the vehicle to your local electronic diagnostic chap they will be able to provide a comprehensive report.

embee

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 03:14:07 PM »
Obviously the first thing is whether there are any OBD faults logged. Even if the MIL/check engine light isn't on I would always do an OBD check. You can get basic OBD readers for low cost which will find the general fault codes.
It could be issues with MAF sensor or exhaust lambda sensors or air/coolant thermistors etc which can all affect the air/fuel ratio,  or it could be to do with injector condition (not very common) or ignition system problems,  plugs/coils etc causing misfires or poor ignition.

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 02:44:19 PM »
Just to be clear,  what is the smell you are getting? According to some google searches if you have an eggs smell form your car that means that your catalytic converted is not working

that bad egg smell is a sign your cat is working fine. and doing its job . its more when cold as the cats working harder.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 02:46:26 PM by fashionphotography »

Tags:

anything