Author Topic: Insurance Renewal - having a laugh  (Read 6379 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: Insurance Renewal - having a laugh
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2023, 08:58:55 PM »
For my 2022 HR-V, LV have quoted me: Last year's total price £191.15, this year's total price £280.99.

That's a 47% increase, albeit from a very low value. When I changed the insured vehicle from Crosstar to the HR-V last October I had to pay an extra £15.58, of which £15 was the admin fee.

I have to wonder whether greater awareness of the vulnerability to relay theft is a factor in the increased premiums. While it's possible to put the Honda keys to sleep, the insurers can't price that into the premiums.

PS: LV's list of reasons for the increase is at https://www.lv.com/car-insurance/renewal-explained.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:04:24 PM by John Ratsey »
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2023, 05:17:20 AM »
When I phoned LV to change my address last week the first question they asked was "is the car still garaged overnight" so you may have a point.

When I picked my Jazz up even the dealer was unaware of the keyfob disable 2 button press.
Let's be careful out there !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2023, 10:13:30 AM »
My HR-V E HEV cost £285 in 2022 group 32.
Exactly a year later my CR-V cost me £328 Group 24!
I am a year older (OBVS!) now 77. That is the ONLY difference in circumstances.

EXPLAIN THAT! Aviva can't, they 'telephonically' shrugged their shoulders a said "Can't be helped, all insurance premiums have gone up."  To be fair, when I visited the Meerkats, there was only one company cheaper , the rest were even MORE expensive!
Apparently the average cost of motor insurance in the U.K is now £749.
SO I suppose we had all better stop moaning. Or go and buy something like a Hyundai i10 or Citroen C1.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2023, 12:15:16 PM »
When I get to Sep 26 when my 5 years runs out I'm planning to sell it.

I won't need my own car now I've moved to within striking distance of relatives. As it is I can't see me doing much more than 50 miles a month now I'm not driving between Northolt and Reading once a fortnight.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 01:28:54 PM »
When I get to Sep 26 when my 5 years runs out I'm planning to sell it.

I won't need my own car now I've moved to within striking distance of relatives. As it is I can't see me doing much more than 50 miles a month now I'm not driving between Northolt and Reading once a fortnight.

It's a consideration. A lot of money tied up in a depreciating asset if you do a tiny mileage. My current mileage is pretty low already so I'll be doing similar calculations when my 5 years expires.

TonyH

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 02:34:59 PM »
Yes this chimes with me....having just retired I planned to treat myself to a nice new shiny lump of metal, but seeing as it's sat on the drive for most of the week I'm beginning to re-consider and keep my 15-year-old Nissan -  which I'm not paranoid about either !

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 07:53:35 PM »
The day they take my licence away I shall be tempted to 'open a vein'!
I obviously drive more than some others (about 7k a year)
My work with Shell involved around 30k a year.
I just LOVE driving. Hence my lifetimes 78 cars!
I hope to drive until I die!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 08:10:54 PM »

+1
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2023, 08:35:33 PM »

Also plus me, I would totally lost if I could not drive, still doing about 9k miles per year at age 86
Recently widowed so I need something to live for, apart from my remaining family.  :(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2023, 08:38:42 PM »
I have always looked for an excuse to drive. Right from the day I passed my test and my Dad asked me to nip to the shops for some cigarettes. His nails were bitten down to the first knuckle when I returned with them with 40 more miles on the clock! I have been a bus driver, driven trucks and two stints at being a delivery driver around local garages. Now I hardly drive at all. I have nowhere I need to go. Sometimes I just get in the car and start it up for the fun of it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2023, 10:31:36 PM »
Massive premium hikes being discussed here. Not looking forward to renewal on our two cars.

It is worth bearing in mind costs in this day and age. Hourly labour at garages are what, £80+vat most places? A lot charge north of £100+ ph. Let alone parts prices. Your premium wont cover much to be fair, and that's what I always try to remember.

I pay less now to insure my 10yo Jazz, than I did in 1989 to insure my 10yo Morris Marina! Mind I'm about 1000% safer than I was age 17  ;D ;D ;D ;D

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2023, 07:25:21 AM »
Insurers will point out that premiums dropped significantly following the pandemic because the lockdowns meant that people were driving fewer miles and hence the risk of accidents was lower. See, for example:
https://www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/has-car-insurance-gone-up
So in comparing todays renewal premium with last year’s, you’re comparing with an unusually low level and it shouldn’t be surprising that the increase looks bad. It would be more instructive to compare with premiums from (say) early 2020. Of course that is also unrealistic because folks may have changed cars and are three years older, both of which will affect premiums.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2023, 09:23:47 AM »
There are aspects of car insurance that annoy me, but I cannot always think of a fair and workable alternative.
The postcode lottery.  Some of us live in an area with a heavy premium. Yet might live in leafy suburbs, with the car garaged  and often drive in rural areas.  Whilst a rural resident  may be surrounded by scumbags  and  frequently visit the big bad city.
The Jazz is not exactly the first choice of car thieves.   a 25% increase in relay  thefts may be an increase from 4 cars a year  to 5 cars.      Car manufacturers , crash repairers and insurance companies seem to have a cosy relationship regarding the cost of car repairs , a nice little earner for some. The consumer pays.   (I have no evidence  :-[ )

Some of us wrinklies are  still skilled and experienced  drivers and a good risk for  insurers. Either from low mileage, or a higher  mileage done well.  But as things are for every one of us who can somehow justify paying a lower price  despite the  statistics   ,others will have to pay more. Nice if you are indeed among the chosen few.  Of course I think I should be one of them. 

A good few years ago one insurer tried the radical approach of not charging young drivers massively more .
But as they were the only one they  attracted more than their fair share of bad risks.  Good risks preferred to save a few quid with another insurer.   Same happened to some extent when it became illegal to give  cheaper premiums based solely on gender.   As we all know the female of the species is superior in many respects.  Male drivers saved a few quid, females paid a bit more.   

Maybe as I get older I will increasingly have to support those employed in the automotive economy.  A choice between heating, eating, or erm Car   (I cant think of a rhyme  :-[ ) A warm car and a bag of crisps.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 09:55:05 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2023, 12:10:36 PM »
I have always looked for an excuse to drive. Right from the day I passed my test and my Dad asked me to nip to the shops for some cigarettes. His nails were bitten down to the first knuckle when I returned with them with 40 more miles on the clock! I have been a bus driver, driven trucks and two stints at being a delivery driver around local garages. Now I hardly drive at all. I have nowhere I need to go. Sometimes I just get in the car and start it up for the fun of it.

That's relatable to me definitely. I occasionally go a rather circuitous route to the supermarket to enjoy the drive. I am over 3 years away from making any kind of decision and I might change my mind then if I'm still around that is!

I doubt whether I would lash out on another new car though. I'd almost certainly keep what I've got. It would see me out I feel.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2023, 01:27:47 PM »
I'll stop driving when I'm no longer a safe driver or I've got no money left.
I said to my daughter tell me when you think my driving is getting unsafe.

She said don't worry Dad  it's great at the moment but when it isn't I will !
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Tags: